Brewer Fanatic

January 2023 International Signings

6 hours ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Pedro Tovar one of the youngest signings listed at 6-1. Would be an early name to watch where he's at 2 years from now. CF 160 so room to build that frame and hit the 6-3 to 6-5 prime height.

Interesting that mlbtr had a Big hype prospects post and 1 name was Ezequial Tovar. a SS for the Rockies who is from Venezuela. Could probably put a brother relation for Pedro? Would be a nice sign with E.Tovar being 6' even and a pedigree line to expect big things coming from Pedro if they are brothers of course. 

10 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

If it weren’t for the success of the recent years I would take the Brewers’ comments in McCalvy’s article about the pitchers in this class with a grain of salt, but now I am more hopeful that the optimism is genuine.

The progress this team has made in the last decade internationally is remarkable. I’d stack their last 4 classses up with the best in baseball. The Arnold/Groopman pairing back in ‘18/‘19 has really taken this department to another level.

The amateur talent procurement systems they have in place, including their scouting of the independent leagues has given Brewers fans more than just hope this team can compete far into the future.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:22 PM, Mass Haas said:

All ten infielders listed at shortstops.

All five outfielders listed as center fielders.

Those practice games in the D.R. and Venezuela must have interesting defensive layouts,

If you think about HS School Sophmores all the best players play SS, CF, C, or P. Scouts rarely look at other positions in HS unless the team is absolutely stacked with college prospects. I would guess these international prospects are the same and when bodies fill out and the competition improves some SS become 3B/2B on CF become LF/RF.

On 1/17/2023 at 7:41 AM, jay87shot said:

If you think about HS School Sophmores all the best players play SS, CF, C, or P. Scouts rarely look at other positions in HS unless the team is absolutely stacked with college prospects. I would guess these international prospects are the same and when bodies fill out and the competition improves some SS become 3B/2B on CF become LF/RF.

My general guide to positions with these signings (outside of pitcher and catcher).

SS: Displays a bare minimum amount of functional athleticism and arm strength. Likely to start on the infield.

CF: Displays a bare minimum amount of functional athleticism. Likely to start in the outfield.

2b: Like a shortstop, but without the arm strength.

3b: Likely future first baseman or right fielder.

1b: Already probably 6-5.

RF: See 3b

LF: Like a right fielder, but without the arm strength.

Is this too reductive? Yes. But it also keeps me from being too disappointed when most of them inevitably move down the defensive spectrum.

I know reading scouting reports on international signings from MLB pipeline is inevitably going to give you warm, fuzzy feelings on all of these guys, but based on the write-ups I wonder if given how early these deals are often agreed upon, this was the first class under the organization’s increased emphasis on bat-to-ball skills.

And while they might not have signed any tall hitters in this year’s class so far, there were at least two 6-2 or taller late signings from last year’s class who will be making their debut next year.

• Like 1

Hopefully we hit on a couple of impact guys.  These are the true definition of lottery tickets. Sometimes it’s the kid with the $10k bonus who emerges instead of the big bonus baby.   I like that we bring in so many prospects.  More lottery tickets = more of a chance to hit on some. 

With Chourio, Quero and others showing promise already, hopefully we keep the momentum rolling.  

7 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Seems the team has been overweight drafting and signing position players the last few years.  I hope this trends moderates.  Pitching is also important.

It's quite a common trend in international drafts, though I was listening to a podcast recently talking about the Astros identifying talented pitchers several years after their initial 16 year old availability, but at that age there's a consensus that there's not enough time to develop pitchers to being major league ready before the rule 5 draft

• Like 3