Brewer Fanatic

January 2023 International Signings

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The 2022-2023 international signing window will open in two weeks (January 15, 2023), so I thought I’d start a new thread.

The Brewers had one of the largest signing classes last January (33 players) and will probably have another good-sized one, since we’re one of the few organizations that has four rookie level squads (two in Dominican Summer League, two in Arizona Complex League).

Signings in recent seasons have included the likes of Jackson Chourio ($1.8m), Johan Barrios ($1.385m), Carlos D. Rodriguez ($1.355m), Luis Medina ($1.3m), Jhonny Severino ($1.23m), Luis Lara ($1.1m), Eduardo Garcia ($1.1m), Branlyn Jaraba ($1.1m), Eduarqui Fernandez ($1.1m), Daniel Guilarte ($1m), Gregory Barrios ($1m), Ernesto Martinez ($800k), Hendry Mendez ($735k), Hedbert Perez ($700k), Jheremy Vargas ($650k), Alexander Perez ($600k), Victor Castaneda (probably a healthy amount from the Mexican League in 2017), Israel Puello ($460k by the Phillies in 2017), Alberto Ciprian ($500k – traded to D-backs), Erys Bautista ($500k – released), Carlos Roa ($385k – released), Ney Serrano ($360k), Jhonnys Cabrera ($300k), Beyker Pastran ($300k), Jesus Parra ($210k), Jeferson Quero ($200k), Jesus Chirinos ($130k), Abner Uribe ($85k), Felix Valerio ($10k by the Mets in 2018), Stiven Cruz (peanuts in 2019?), Alexander Cornielle (peanuts in 2019?), Jeison Pena (peanuts in 2020?).

• Like 3

On 12/31/2022 at 3:29 PM, damuelle said:

For this year's class, as @sveumrules commented in another forum, the Brewers have been linked to 16-year old Venezuelan shortstop Kevin Ereu, ranked 17th at Fangraphs and 35th at mlb.com.

Appears the Brewers are also expected to sign Pipeline's #22 prospect in Yophery Rodriguez, as well as their #33 prospect in Filippo Di Turri.

Not a surprise, but of Ereu and Di Turri are Venezuelan. Brewers have been hitting Venezuela as hard, or harder than any other team and have seen solid results (including hitting big time on Chourio of course).

• Like 4

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thank you both @damuelle and @Smichaelis9 for bringing this back on radar and keeping us current. 

I personally am always intrigued by the inevitable pool of $10-15K bonus signings. The Crew appears to have been hitting on some intriguing prospects here. Or maybe I have a sever case of Mogollon syndrome??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Thank you both @damuelle and @Smichaelis9 for bringing this back on radar and keeping us current. 

I personally am always intrigued by the inevitable pool of $10-15K bonus signings. The Crew appears to have been hitting on some intriguing prospects here. Or maybe I have a sever case of Mogollon syndrome??

Those low bonus guys are always interesting. I believe some guys like Alexander Vallecillo and Patricio Aquino were in that range, and they're pretty interesting arms. Always fun to see what they can find in the secondary guys too (players like Quero, Mendez, Guillarte, etc did not show up on the Pipeline list in 2019 or 2021, and were unranked or in the 40's or lower for Baseball America).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

You could point to a lot of the pitchers lately (I don't remember hearing much when Cruz signed and Cornielle was even an in-season signing). On the hitting side, I don't think Areinamo or Castillo were among the higher bonuses in their class either.

• Like 1

Interesting that only two of the top 30 on MLB's list are pitchers, and they are from Cuba and South Korea.  Is pitching that far behind in Latin America?  Or is it because it takes so long to develop them from the age of 16/17 that they either have to add them to the 40-man before they're ready for the majors or risk losing them in the Rule 5?

Given the Brewers inroads in Venezuela, any chance they are in on either of the two catchers, Salas or Duno?

5 hours ago, jakedood said:

Are there any really really hot prospects in the international draft this year?

And the brewers rumoured signings, is there much info on them?

Here is what FanGraphs said about Ereu…

“One of the more polished all-around players in the class, Ereu has plus infield footwork and actions, and is physical enough to threaten the gaps on offense. He looks like a third round West Coast college infielder in his skills and build, and is perceived to have a high floor.”

If you click on the players’ names at the MLB.com link up thread there are scouting reports there too.

• Like 1

All 3 5'11"  mildly reduces that top upside. Being tied for most money to spend would have liked 1 of those 6'2/6'3" boys that more likely have another 1-2" growth to come.

It's interesting to me you go to pipeline and 2 of them already repping Brewers with the hats.

The film clip on Rodriquez leaves some to be desired. But it's only like 8 swings and 3 throws that lead to that comment. Welcome to the team boys!

3 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

All 3 5'11"  mildly reduces that top upside. Being tied for most money to spend would have liked 1 of those 6'2/6'3" boys that more likely have another 1-2" growth to come.

Mostly conjecture, but it seems to me like the Brewers either don't care about guys being on the short side, or are maybe even seeking them out somewhat looking through the system. Might be thinking with the incoming automated strike zone that shorter players will benefit by having smaller zones to cover.

On the recent FanGraphs list there is Frelick (5'10"), Brown Jr. (5' 11"), Quero (5' 11"), Lara (5'9"), Moore (5'9"), Areinamo (5'10"), Perkins (5'11"), C. Rodriguez (5'10"), Wood (5'10"), Castillo (5'11"), and Hedbert (5'11") all listed under six feet. Eleven of the 23 position players on the list. If you throw in Warren & Metzinger both listed at 6'0" that flips it to over half at 13 of 23. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Maybe it is just some higher floor guys, but it seems like the last few classes the sub-6-foot players are outperforming their bonuses more often than the 6-2-plus guys among the international signings for Milwaukee.

I'd be curious how many players signed that were even 6'2 or more versus the amount of players under 6'.  More bites of the apple I'd think for the under 6' crowd to do so.

Adding. Maybe it's just a Venezuela area thing where typical heights are below 6'

11 minutes ago, markedman5 said:

There were 6 jerseys on that table and I don't think any were the top 3. Maybe 1 was. So bigger class forthcoming.

I'm wrong all 3 were there di  turri was name posted above on jersey its dituri together I had eye open for split name. Erue is a little hidden thought maybe different letters.

2 hours ago, markedman5 said:

Shows Y. Rodriquez at 6-1 so 2 inches taller at signing. Also solid 185lb frame. 

1 pitcher not even 140lbs! That will require a big change.

Pedro Tovar one of the youngest signings listed at 6-1. Would be an early name to watch where he's at 2 years from now. CF 160 so room to build that frame and hit the 6-3 to 6-5 prime height.

• Like 1