Brewer Fanatic

Varsho traded to Blue Jays

markedman5

Just now, sveumrules said:

Nice deal for Arizona. Gurriel balances out their LH OFs and Moreno looks like a stud.

Seems like a lot give up for someone who derives most of their value from RF defense.

I believe the Blue Jays are going to play Varsho in CF.  Not sure that will be a good idea or not.  I think the Blue Jays were asking for a lot for Jansen and lost out on the market after Vazquez, Contreras signed and the Murphy trade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nate82 said:

I believe the Blue Jays are going to play Varsho in CF.  Not sure that will be a good idea or not.  I think the Blue Jays were asking for a lot for Jansen and lost out on the market after Vazquez, Contreras signed and the Murphy trade. 

Still can't believe we got William Contreras, who is likely better than Jansen and controllable for 5 years, and we severely underpaid. We could've easily gotten Jansen instead and probably would have had to part with Frelick-plus. Kudos to MA and co. 

• Like 2

Just now, nate82 said:

They signed Kiermaier for $9M so I'm guessing their primary alignment when everyone is healthy will be Springer (LF) Kiermaier (CF) Varsho (RF), but given Kiermaier's health Varsho will still get plenty of time in CF.

• Like 1

I like this both ways. The Jay's were probably looking for the best player they could get for Moreno or Jensen.

Varsho had a 5 WAR season in essentially his 2nd year. He can be a 3rd catcher and Gold Glove RF, with good power and some speed. Gurriel is an average player, he doesn't walk and plays an average LF. So the J's get a 3ish WAR improving in the OF for a blocked C and save some money in the process.

For the D backs they get a potential huge upgrade at catcher and an OF who works well with the 3 other left handed young OF.

• Like 1

Man, I would have loved to get Moreno, I would rather have gotten him over Jansen.

Happy we got Contreras though.

It's nice not seeing a black hole at catcher for the 2023 season.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I’ve historically not been a fan of the Arizona FO’s moves.  But this looks like a great trade for them.  Moreno is at a premium position and rated as high as number 3 as a prospect.   Varsho is a nice player so it may work out both ways as Toronto had 3 premium catchers. But good for Arizona for what they did.  An exciting trade.  

28 minutes ago, Austin Tatious said:

I’ve historically not been a fan of the Arizona FO’s moves.  But this looks like a great trade for them.  Moreno is at a premium position and rated as high as number 3 as a prospect.   Varsho is a nice player so it may work out both ways as Toronto had 3 premium catchers. But good for Arizona for what they did.  An exciting trade.  

Mike Hazen is building a monstrous organization. Incredibly fast and talented OF, underrated IF, and now, adding one of the most talented catcher prospects in the game.

Gallen & Kelly leading a rotation that should get a talent infusion from a deep and talented farm system — this team is close to challenging for a WC spot this year and much more over the next few years.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2022 at 7:52 AM, SF70 said:

Mike Hazen is building a monstrous organization. Incredibly fast and talented OF, underrated IF, and now, adding one of the most talented catcher prospects in the game.

Gallen & Kelly leading a rotation that should get a talent infusion from a deep and talented farm system — this team is close to challenging for a WC spot this year and much more over the next few years.

Agreed, they could use a stable 4/5 starter but have alot of good potential arms. They added some nice under the radar pen options. I thought that a guy like Houser or Lauer would be a perfect add for them if we wanted to add a low cost vet like Wade Miley or Danny Duffy. 

29 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Agreed, they could use a stable 4/5 starter but have alot of good potential arms. They added some nice under the radar pen options. I thought that a guy like Houser or Lauer would be a perfect add for them if we wanted to add a low cost vet like Wade Miley or Danny Duffy. 

I’d like a Miley signing that sends Houser to the bullpen. Hoping the team goes back to a full-time 6-man for injury protection and better performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SF70 said:

I’d like a Miley signing that sends Houser to the bullpen. Hoping the team goes back to a full-time 6-man for injury protection and better performance.

I always thought that there should be a way that you could keep Burnes and Woody on a 5 day schedule and then the other 4 on a 6 day schedule. I would guess you would occasionally need to piggyback your 5/6 starters in that scenerio when there are multiple days off, and occasionally the 5th 6th man would get 7 or 8 days and maybe need a bullpen appearance. That way we would sneak in around 10 more starts for our big guns and keep the backend fresh and help the pen with some load.

4 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

I always thought that there should be a way that you could keep Burnes and Woody on a 5 day schedule and then the other 4 on a 6 day schedule. I would guess you would occasionally need to piggyback your 5/6 starters in that scenerio when there are multiple days off, and occasionally the 5th 6th man would get 7 or 8 days and maybe need a bullpen appearance. That way we would sneak in around 10 more starts for our big guns and keep the backend fresh and help the pen with some load.

I want both of Burnes/Woodruff getting the extra day as well just like they got back in ‘21. Should keep them stronger all year and allow for deeper outings.