Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Are the Mets Shopping Eduardo Escobar and Is He a Good Fit for the Brewers?

There's a lot of chatter around Twitter but not from what most of us would call the most reputable sources. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily untrue. With the addition of Carlos Correa, there isn't really a reason for the Mets to roster Eduardo Escobar other than "Steve Cohen wants all the players."

Personally, I struggle to see Steve Cohen taking a step back talent-wise under any circumstances after the offseason the Mets have had but it's also possible Escobar isn't particularly thrilled about being in New York and shoved into a utility role - he's not a great defender anywhere anymore - behind two players on a legitimate Hall of Fame career arc.

What are your thoughts? Is an Escobar reunion possible in Milwaukee?

View full rumor

6 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I would definitely take him. And I think a reunion is quite possible. The cost (in terms of prospects) would be virtually nothing. 

I'd want them to eat 4-5M. I like that he's got good splits vs lefties. That's...really the first thing I"m looking at for any potential addition at this point. I think he'd be best served as a 1B/DH vs good lefties. 

And we could throw him a Valerio in order to do so...he has some value. I don't know, I liked him. 

He also provides some protection against Turang struggling. But I wouldn't make this signing if it meant Turang wasn't going to get the lions share of the ABs at 2B. I'd do it so we could kinda rotate Escobar around. 

4 minutes ago, TURBO said:

Is he better than Urias?

Serious question.

At this point in his career, is he better?

If he's the same player, I will take 2 of Luis Urias'... This would allow Urias to slide to 2B while Escobar mans 3B vs RHP and 1B vs LHP.

28 minutes ago, TURBO said:

Is he better than Urias?

Serious question.

Escobar's 2021-2022 Seasons and 2023 Projections:

image.png.0dcdf8bc8624f211d638ae5afb5589f8.png

Urias' 2021-2022 Seasons and 2023 Projections:

image.png.aa04dcd9301bee0f0d7362448632a8d0.png

I would say no. But I still think he would be a good bat to complement this lineup and would be a solid option to start the year over Turang until Brice forces himself into the lineup.

42 minutes ago, TURBO said:

Is he better than Urias?

Serious question.

I’d take Urias one-for-one over Esco but that’s not the question I’m asking myself.

I think “Urias + Escobar + Turang” is a lot better bet than “Urias + Turang” over 162. 

I've liked Escobar since he first started producing well for the Twins.  I was glad when they picked him up at the '21 deadline.  I like the idea of him as a Brewer again.

All that said, I'm not sure where or how well he fits given the other pieces already on the roster (Urias, Turang if he makes the OD roster, Brosseau, Miller, & Hiura).  If Matt Arnold thinks he's an upgrade, I'm fine with it.  Good IF depth is a nice thing to have, though I'd think there's no way ALL those guys are on the OD roster (obviously Turang & Miller have options).

I think with Escobar, given no player here will play 162 games its important to think of the rotation of 2B, 3B and SS fielders

So whats a better fit

Turang, Adames, Urias & Miller/Toro 

or

Turang, Adames, Urias and Escobar?

I think as well given there will be times Toro and Miller would be needed, as there will be injuires etc, but Escobar also being an above average 1B fielder with a strength vs Lefties could be a really smart fit, and regardless what Lineup CC puts out, i think there's much more strength there

I wouldnt want to be particularly reliant on Miller or Toro if an injury happened to Turang, Urias or Adames, so yeah a lot more stability there, I'd offer a 25-30 prospect at Double A for him probably

Given what’s out there, I’d take him if they could work out the money and we didn’t give up a top 15 prospect.  

One thing that I hope changes under Arnold is that we emphasize 3B more in our drafting and signings.  We, of all teams, are seeing that 3B is actually a premium position that’s hard to fill.  You need a crazy accurate and strong arm, athleticism, and a bat with pop.  That’s a hard profile to fill and I’d treat it like a premium position. 

A lot of 17 year old shortstops outgrow it and move to 3B but that’s hardly been the profile of the guys we brought in.  

You can dismiss 1B while you’re at it but look at what Fielder became.  

With all of our difficulties at corner infield. I hope that becomes a new emphasis in the draft and internationally.  

Back to the point:

Escobar, Adames, Urias/Turang, Rowdy

with Toro, Miller, Brosseau, and Hiura fighting for two spots?

I think Turang is underrated due to some folks slavishly overemphasizing his minor league numbers, but even I don’t think the Brewers will overload him this year.  I think they will work him in to get him acclimated. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
3 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

What else does Moose need to do to prove that he's toast?

I'm reading brewmann's post as sarcasm...both players being old and washed up as typical "Brewer moves" and not necessarily advocating for it...

Escobar seems like the type of player we need (hits lefties, plays 3B), but also seems like the end result might be McCutchen 2.0...

I guess it would come down to:

How much they feel they can rely on Turang from the get-go

Can they get him w/o having to give up very much

Will the Mets eat a respectable amount of the salary

My gut tells me it'll be tough to consummate something with the Mets that reaches the last two points to our satisfaction. But I never thought they'd pull off Contreras while only giving up Ruiz, either.

23 hours ago, CheezWizHed said:

I'm reading brewmann's post as sarcasm...both players being old and washed up as typical "Brewer moves" and not necessarily advocating for it...

Escobar seems like the type of player we need (hits lefties, plays 3B), but also seems like the end result might be McCutchen 2.0...

I think we take Moose or Escobar if he could hit like Cutch 2022 AND we pay him next to nothing. We’ll take that at this point to add depth and another MLB body.

On 12/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, CheezWizHed said:

I can live with that. The McCutchen signing made a ton of sense. He'd had an OPS over 1.000 the previous two years vs lefties and he was still a very solid hitter.

You can only go on what you know at the time. McCutchen should have been a VERY good platoon player and still capable vs right handed pitchers. He wasn't. 

His OPS dropped by ~80 points, his OPS vs lefties dropped by ~300 points from 2021 and over 200 points from 2020. 

The problem was running him out there everyday vs RHed pitchers and Hiura vs LHPers. He was still our 2nd best hitter vs LHPing behind Renfroe I believe(among regulars).

Escobar should be acquired for a mid-tier prospect and with the Mets eating half of his remaining contract. That's about all I'd give up for him. But I'd love to see him playing 3rd vs good lefties with Urias over at 2nd or he could play 1B/DH with Brosseau at 3B, Urias at 2B. We seem like we'll likely be a very heavy platoon team this year. His versatility can help there. 

On 12/26/2022 at 12:40 PM, CheezWizHed said:

I can live with that. The McCutchen signing made a ton of sense. He'd had an OPS over 1.000 the previous two years vs lefties and he was still a very solid hitter.

You can only go on what you know at the time. McCutchen should have been a VERY good platoon player and still capable vs right handed pitchers. He wasn't. 

His OPS dropped by ~80 points, his OPS vs lefties dropped by ~300 points from 2021 and over 200 points from 2020. 

The problem was running him out there everyday vs RHed pitchers and Hiura vs LHPers. He was still our 2nd best hitter vs LHPing behind Renfroe I believe(among regulars).

Escobar should be acquired for a mid-tier prospect and with the Mets eating half of his remaining contract. That's about all I'd give up for him. But I'd love to see him playing 3rd vs good lefties with Urias over at 2nd or he could play 1B/DH with Brosseau at 3B, Urias at 2B. We seem like we'll likely be a very heavy platoon team this year. His versatility can help there. 

I like Escobar -- his track record, his versatility, his veteran presence -- but I'd be a little concerned about decline.  Power's still solid, but his BA has trended downward, ditto his OBP (2 of the last 3 years under .300), & his K's are way up the last 4 (full) years

It could be a move that would pan out & fit our needs quite well.  Or it could become McCutchen 2.0.

Meanwhile, I'm intrigued by the potential of Hiura, Toro, & Turang, plus what we know Brosseau brings.  If Escobar becomes a Brewer, I'd hate to see so many of those guys get squeezed.  On the other hand, if Escobar becomes a Brewer without the Crew giving up any of those four players, then that's a real plus in terms of depth.

I like Escobar -- his track record, his versatility, his veteran presence -- but I'd be a little concerned about decline.  Power's still solid, but his BA has trended downward, ditto his OBP (2 of the last 3 years under .300), & his K's are way up the last 4 (full) years

It could be a move that would pan out & fit our needs quite well.  Or it could become McCutchen 2.0.

Meanwhile, I'm intrigued by the potential of Hiura, Toro, & Turang, plus what we know Brosseau brings.  If Escobar becomes a Brewer, I'd hate to see so many of those guys get squeezed.  On the other hand, if Escobar becomes a Brewer without the Crew giving up any of those four players, then that's a real plus in terms of depth.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, brewmann04 said:

I won’t be trading prospects for him at this point. Grab Anderson as a FA 

Agree, I'd rather spend a few million on Anderson than waste a prospect on a guy in decline.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS