Brewer Fanatic

Speaking of Free agent contracts that didn’t work out

markedman5

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We should sign him for 3B!  Though it wouldn't be horrible to see what he has on an MiLB deal...

He was an All-Star in his last year with us and hit 843 OPS, and fit well in the clubhouse.  So yes, I think a lot of people wanted him back.  Not necessarily on a 4 year deal...

Frankly it is still a little surprising how he dropped off so badly.  Hit well one year for Cincinnati but poorly the last two. 

59 minutes ago, markedman5 said:

Weren’t there  a few fans who wanted the Brewers to sign Moose?

There were people who wanted him back but I don't think anyone wanted him at the price the Reds paid. I think most everyone knew that was a bad contract from the jump.

1 hour ago, markedman5 said:

Weren’t there  a few fans who wanted the Brewers to sign Moose?

Just the same 2-3 people who who think the Brewers have to sign a big-name free agent by the first week of December or the offseason is a disaster and the ownership group is not trying to win and only concerned about profits.

• Like 3

I think everyone wanted him back, but I don't think anyone wanted him back at the price he got from the Reds.

I'm sure there is an old thread that could be dug up to tell us who was on board and who wasn't.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

55 minutes ago, TURBO said:

I think everyone wanted him back, but I don't think anyone wanted him back at the price he got from the Reds.

I'm sure there is an old thread that could be dug up to tell us who was on board and who wasn't.

sveumrules linked it above

The years were ‘lol’ and the overall money was ‘lol’.

The worst part was the fact they signed him to be a 2B. Which was terrible at the time and in retrospect was indeed exactly that. Was mostly a 2B in 2020 and then after 10 innings in 2021, never played it again.

I mostly forgot he was even in the MLB still. Not surprising since his high games played was 78…last year. 2020 shortened season was the only decent year he had.

He was a good player for us, but not “let’s invest 4 years into you” good.

Corey Seager made $33 million last year to have lower OPS and WAR than Adames.

Garret Cole made $36 million last year to have worse FIP and WAR than Woodruff.

Stephen Strasburg has made $35 million per season for three years while pitching less than 30 innings combined since 2020.

Anthony Rendon made $36.5 million last season to underperform Luis Urias.

Giancarlo Stanton made $29 million last season to have three times lower WAR than Tyrone Taylor.

Trevor Story made $20 million last year to underperform Kolten Wong.

Many big contracts do not add meaningful value to an organization.