Brewer Fanatic

Drury to Angels, 2 yrs $17 M

DR28

3 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I actually appreciate that they don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money. Go after a guy if it's a clear upgrade, but otherwise it's better to go with your internal options. "Opportunistic" is the Brewers' strategy according to MA. See, the WILLIAM Contreras/Jesse Winker trades..

lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1 hour ago, JefferyLeonard said:

So by definition you just made my point by stating the highlighted above Mark ISN'T(that by definition means he WON'T not that he can't) He can set the payroll at whatever he wants. So yes, it's much more appropriate to say they WON'T spend the $$, not they CAN'T spend the $$.

No one says they have to go out and spend like the Mets.

They spend money on FA's once in awhile but when they do, they are mostly one year deals, or smaller two year deals(like Wong for instance). there is absolutely NOTHING stopping them from going out and signing a big $$ FA to a multi year deal, If they would choose to do it. Heck, there's nothing stopping them from resigning Woody, and Burnes or Adames if they would CHOOSE to do so(and adding a big $$ FA). they are just choosing NOT to.

If you build it, they will come. Sure, their revenue stream isn't as large as other teams are, but I'd bet dimes to dollars if they put some big name players on the field, fans would show up more than they do now. That helps drive revenue. Heck, every team just got an extra 30 million this year,  That essentially buys you a "free" year of a big $$(multiple year) FA. They choose not to do it. 

How much money does Burnes, Adames or Woody want? How many years?

After what you just watched in free agency you think those guys are going to take a team friendly deal to stay in Milwaukee? 

Burnes as a former Cy Young winner is likely going to want to be paid at the top of the market. 

Arnold said they are interested in extending 1 or more of those guys…….so if it doesn’t happen we can assume that it didn’t make sense financially……in this market….to do the deal or deals. Either too much money or too many years.

They extended Yelich……and Braun……He is willing to spend but he has constraints and the players have to understand that……both Braun and Yelich did…..For “big name free agents”  as you call them the market is set by the Mets, Dodgers and Yankees……..most teams can not compete in that space……..

I know some fans just think any player should be attainable…just sell some stock!…if that is your thinking……I suggest becoming a Mets fan.

16 minutes ago, Lajitas said:

DH is rotated between Yelich, Singleton, Hiura, Winker or anybody else that needs a day off.  Just like it has been.

Hiura and Singleton are still unlikely to be on the roster. Yelich is a better fielder than Winker, though he'll certainly DH on some occasions. But we should expect Winker to see the majority of the time at DH, as McCutchen did this past season. To say Winker is going to be one of our primary OFs doesn't really jive with this team's roster construction and prospect pipeline...

FWIW, I would also expect Contreras to DH frequently against LHP. 

• Like 3

DH wasn't really rotated last year. At least not very evenly, or when compared to other teams. 

McCutchen's 82 games / 360 PAs at DH made him the 9th most "regular" DH in all of MLB.

Only other guys over 10 games/ 40 PAs at DH were Yelich (35 / 153) and Keston (25 / 96).

Winker is a much worse fielder than McCutchen so I would expect his split will be more heavily tilted towards DH than McCutchen was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lajitas said:

Yelich, Taylor, Mitchell and Winker are our OFs.  Winker plays more games in the OF than he does at DH.

Just because Winker classifies as an OF doesnt mean he's going to play out their much.

6 hours ago, markedman5 said:

Mark A’s net worth is 700 million……..Steve Cohen’s is 16 billion

Brewers can’t spend like a big market team…….it wou,d be idiotic ……they do not have the revenue to do it and Mark isn’t going to dip into his own money to add free agents like Cohen is doing.

So can’t in the Brewers case is closer to,the truth then won’t…….as least as it relates to big money free agents. They can’t print money.

They can and do spend money on free agents when appropriate but they have a budget…..like most businesses.

And the Mets also generate at LEAST a couple hundred MILLION more a year than the Brewers. 

The Mets lost ~100M last year(per Forbes...which I don't think is exact, but it's about as accurate as you're going to get). 

So Mark A COULD do that. And he COULD liquidate all his assets(which would probably lower his net worth considerably). And he COULD go broke in a few years to appease the Jeffery Leonhard..."fans" on this board.

So I'd actually argue it's NOT semantics, the Brewers just CANNOT afford to spend "a lot" in free agency. 

Also, before this argument starts about how Mark A has made a billion on the Brewers, also not money realized and he's a minority owner. He's the principal owner, but less than 50%. 

4 hours ago, TURBO said:

I think the majority of us have accepted it, myself included, but if they really want to spend more, they could, according to MA himself.

I think they can spend more than they are. They could probably spend 25M more than they're at right now. But just spending for the sake of spending...it doesn't make sense. 

Just one more time.

Brandon Drury 2022-2.6 WAR

Brandon Drury CAREER-2.1 WAR
Career includes 2022. 

So would he be an upgrade? Or would he very likely end up being the guy people end up bemoaning was our FA signing like McCutchen?

4 hours ago, Lajitas said:

Yelich, Taylor, Mitchell and Winker are our OFs.  Winker plays more games in the OF than he does at DH.

So THIS makes sense to you...but Frelick on the ML roster, that doesn't?

Winker in the OF? 

Winker is our DH. That seems just...obvious at this point. Frelick is almost certainly going to be a starting MLB OFer.

16 minutes ago, DR28 said:

Just because Winker classifies as an OF doesnt mean he's going to play out their much.

This seems very obvious. He's a terrible OFer and we don't have a DH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UpandIn said:

And the Mets also generate at LEAST a couple hundred MILLION more a year than the Brewers. 

The Mets lost ~100M last year(per Forbes...which I don't think is exact, but it's about as accurate as you're going to get). 

So Mark A COULD do that. And he COULD liquidate all his assets(which would probably lower his net worth considerably). And he COULD go broke in a few years to appease the Jeffery Leonhard..."fans" on this board.

So I'd actually argue it's NOT semantics, the Brewers just CANNOT afford to spend "a lot" in free agency. 

Also, before this argument starts about how Mark A has made a billion on the Brewers, also not money realized and he's a minority owner. He's the principal owner, but less than 50%. 

I think they can spend more than they are. They could probably spend 25M more than they're at right now. But just spending for the sake of spending...it doesn't make sense. 

Just one more time.

Brandon Drury 2022-2.6 WAR

Brandon Drury CAREER-2.1 WAR
Career includes 2022. 

So would he be an upgrade? Or would he very likely end up being the guy people end up bemoaning was our FA signing like McCutchen?

So what is your beef then? 

I could sell everything I own and buy lottery tickets ……..is anyone in their right mind going to advocate for it?

he’s not going to do it……you wouldn’t do it if you were him……so why ***** and moan about people saying he can’t do something idiotic instead of saying he won’t do something idiotic?

My god people will complain about anything.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

So THIS makes sense to you...but Frelick on the ML roster, that doesn't?

Winker in the OF? 

Winker is our DH. That seems just...obvious at this point. Frelick is almost certainly going to be a starting MLB OFer.

This seems very obvious. He's a terrible OFer and we don't have a DH. 

Frelick on the MLB roster anytime before the Super Two deadline is what doesn't make sense.

We'll open with Yelich, Taylor and Mitchell as the outfielders, and, yes, Winker will be the primary DH.  But there won't be any other outfielders on the roster.  Brosseau and Hiura would be the only other possibilities.  So Winker will be playing in the outfield when one of those three needs a day off (Yelich's back).  And, at some early point, either Mitchell will show he needs more seasoning (which means they'll bring up Perkins, who won't be starting) or, more likely, Taylor will show that he's just a fourth outfielder.  And Winker will get more and more starts in the outfield.

9 hours ago, markedman5 said:

So what is your beef then? 

I could sell everything I own and buy lottery tickets ……..is anyone in their right mind going to advocate for it?

he’s not going to do it……you wouldn’t do it if you were him……so why ***** and moan about people saying he can’t do something idiotic instead of saying he won’t do something idiotic?

My god people will complain about anything.

Dude...what are you talking about my "beef?" 

Where have I EVER inferred I had a "beef" about anything? I was pointing out how it's not a choice, they literally cannot spend like the Mets...which should have been clear when I said...they cannot spend like the Mets. That they'd literally go broke in a few years. 

And where did I "advocate" for anything?

I'd have thought the "spending just for the sake of spending, it doesn't make any sense" would infer that...I was actually AGREEING with you and disagreeing with the Leonhard, Latitas and his other handles and the few of his ilk. 

10 hours ago, Lajitas said:

Frelick on the MLB roster anytime before the Super Two deadline is what doesn't make sense.

We'll open with Yelich, Taylor and Mitchell as the outfielders, and, yes, Winker will be the primary DH.  But there won't be any other outfielders on the roster.  Brosseau and Hiura would be the only other possibilities.  So Winker will be playing in the outfield when one of those three needs a day off (Yelich's back).  And, at some early point, either Mitchell will show he needs more seasoning (which means they'll bring up Perkins, who won't be starting) or, more likely, Taylor will show that he's just a fourth outfielder.  And Winker will get more and more starts in the outfield.

The new draft compensation for Rookie of the Year was put in place so teams would have incentive not to keep top prospects in the minors to start the season. 

When given the opportunity last year to be the starter, Taylor flopped, so I think he’ll be the fourth OF from day one. 

The team may find a way to keep Turang down, but I think Mitchell and Frelick will be up on opening day. They both have a legitimate shot at winning Rookie of the Year, and they could lose the year of eligibility even if they’re kept down. 

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, monty57 said:

The new draft compensation for Rookie of the Year was put in place so teams would have incentive not to keep top prospects in the minors to start the season. 

When given the opportunity last year to be the starter, Taylor flopped, so I think he’ll be the fourth OF from day one. 

The team may find a way to keep Turang down, but I think Mitchell and Frelick will be up on opening day. They both have a legitimate shot at winning Rookie of the Year, and they could lose the year of eligibility even if they’re kept down. 

If Frelick is as good as we all think he'll be, getting Super Two status will cost the team an extra $10-20 M over the four arbitration years.  That kind of money isn't worth a draft pick.

In another thread, everybody is justifying not spending big money on free agents because that's what a franchise in the financial position the Brewers are in has to do.  Well, another thing a franchise like the Brewers has to do is doing whatever it takes to avoid having players reach Super Two status.

15 minutes ago, Lajitas said:

If Frelick is as good as we all think he'll be, getting Super Two status will cost the team an extra $10-20 M over the four arbitration years.  That kind of money isn't worth a draft pick.

In another thread, everybody is justifying not spending big money on free agents because that's what a franchise in the financial position the Brewers are in has to do.  Well, another thing a franchise like the Brewers has to do is doing whatever it takes to avoid having players reach Super Two status.

If they are in the (I believe) top two in ROY voting, they will be given a full year’s service time regardless of how long they were in the majors. 

In other words, the Brewers could lose the production they would have received for a couple months, and still lose a full year’s service time (not just Super Two status). The rule was put in place to deter teams from “manipulating service time.”

It’s more than just the potential draft pick. That was probably just thrown in as a sweetener to get the owners to pass it. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

what is Winker's range factor

• WHOA SOLVDD 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006