Brewer Fanatic

Drury to Angels, 2 yrs $17 M

DR28

7 hours ago, monty57 said:

I’m definitely not confident in Toro and Miller being anything special. You may be right that Turang is held down through the Suoer 2 cutoff, but I don’t expect the Brewers to spend any significant money on a stopgap who will start for several weeks. Even most big market clubs who are holding back a top prospect wouldn’t normally do that. 

If they keep Turang down to save a year’s service time, we’ll probably just have to hope that Toro/Miller/Brosseau can hold the fort adequately for a few weeks. We did that last year in CF with Taylor and Davis until Mitchell’s rookie status was secured for this season, so we’d probably do it again. 

I’ve said in the past that I’d be alright with them making a move that would keep Turang in AAA until an injury hit, but at this point I don’t really see anyone who would be a clear upgrade for us unless we make a big trade. Signing one of the “scrap heap” free agent guys seems like it would be spending money for at best a lateral move. 

I mean Longoria would fill the bill. You can guarantee he'll miss about half the games. I just think he's going to be very selective about where (or if) he signs, and not just "potential playoff teams" as has been reported.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, monty57 said:

If they keep Turang down to save a year’s service time, we’ll probably just have to hope that Toro/Miller/Brosseau can hold the fort adequately for a few weeks. We did that last year in CF with Taylor and Davis until Mitchell’s rookie status was secured for this season, so we’d probably do it again.

Mitchell posted a 63 wRC+ at AA in 2021. He still needed to prove he was a viable MLB option entering 2022. He was also hurt and did not play from 5/14 to 7/6.

I’d say those factors had more to do with when he was called up than any kind of service time shenanigans.

Turang has more PAs at AAA (779) than Mitchell has in his entire minor league career (557).

On 12/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, monty57 said:

No, we’re required to field a 26 man roster, with league minimum being $700,000 per player. 

Spending money can help you improve, but it doesn’t always work that way. For instance, I love the Contreras trade, and I’d take him at league minimum pay over whoever we could have signed as a free agent for a lot more money. 

To topic, we possibly could have spent $8.5M per year for Drury, who may not outperform Toro and Miller as a bench player over the next two years, and probably won’t outperform any of our starters over that time frame. 

We have a team full of slightly-above-average position players. It’s hard to improve at any position without spending a lot of money in free agency, which is something the Brewers can’t do. 

This is one of the things that I absolutely LOATHE seeing on this board. It's not just you, it's a lot of people. Please don't use the word CAN'T  in regards to the Brewers spending $$. There is no salary cap in baseball.  It's a fallacy to say they CAN'T. The more appropriate term is WON'T. 

• WHOA SOLVDD 1

Mark A’s net worth is 700 million……..Steve Cohen’s is 16 billion

Brewers can’t spend like a big market team…….it wou,d be idiotic ……they do not have the revenue to do it and Mark isn’t going to dip into his own money to add free agents like Cohen is doing.

So can’t in the Brewers case is closer to,the truth then won’t…….as least as it relates to big money free agents. They can’t print money.

They can and do spend money on free agents when appropriate but they have a budget…..like most businesses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

Mitchell posted a 63 wRC+ at AA in 2021. He still needed to prove he was a viable MLB option entering 2022. He was also hurt and did not play from 5/14 to 7/6.

I’d say those factors had more to do with when he was called up than any kind of service time shenanigans.

Turang has more PAs at AAA (779) than Mitchell has in his entire minor league career (557).

I was referring to the end of the year, where they waited until Sept call-ups, presumably so that he would retain his rookie status for ‘23 in hopes of getting the ROY draft pick. 

Many, including myself, thought it would be Frelick getting the call, but the Brewers chose Mitchell, and he proved up to the task. 

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, JefferyLeonard said:

This is one of the things that I absolutely LOATHE seeing on this board. It's not just you, it's a lot of people. Please don't use the word CAN'T  in regards to the Brewers spending $$. There is no salary cap in baseball.  It's a fallacy to say they CAN'T. The more appropriate term is WON'T. 

I’ll stand by my quote:  

“We have a team full of slightly-above-average position players. It’s hard to improve at any position without spending a lot of money in free agency, which is something the Brewers can’t do. 

The Brewers can, and do, spend on free agency. In order to improve on what they have, they would have to do something like one of the monster deals going around. If they signed someone for let’s say $35M, in addition to Yelich’s $26M, they wouldn’t be able to afford the 17 or so arby players they have on the roster. 

So in order for them to afford a high-priced guy in this market, they’d have to trade a lot of our arby guys, and then be stuck with two guaranteed big-money, long-term deals on the books. I guess semantically you’re right, they won’t do it, because it would not be a very smart move, either as a “financial move,” or as a “baseball move.”

• Like 3

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, markedman5 said:

Mark A’s net worth is 700 million……..Steve Cohen’s is 16 billion

Brewers can’t spend like a big market team…….it wou,d be idiotic ……they do not have the revenue to do it and Mark isn’t going to dip into his own money to add free agents like Cohen is doing.

So can’t in the Brewers case is closer to,the truth then won’t…….as least as it relates to big money free agents. They can’t print money.

They can and do spend money on free agents when appropriate but they have a budget…..like most businesses.

So by definition you just made my point by stating the highlighted above Mark ISN'T(that by definition means he WON'T not that he can't) He can set the payroll at whatever he wants. So yes, it's much more appropriate to say they WON'T spend the $$, not they CAN'T spend the $$.

No one says they have to go out and spend like the Mets.

They spend money on FA's once in awhile but when they do, they are mostly one year deals, or smaller two year deals(like Wong for instance). there is absolutely NOTHING stopping them from going out and signing a big $$ FA to a multi year deal, If they would choose to do it. Heck, there's nothing stopping them from resigning Woody, and Burnes or Adames if they would CHOOSE to do so(and adding a big $$ FA). they are just choosing NOT to.

If you build it, they will come. Sure, their revenue stream isn't as large as other teams are, but I'd bet dimes to dollars if they put some big name players on the field, fans would show up more than they do now. That helps drive revenue. Heck, every team just got an extra 30 million this year,  That essentially buys you a "free" year of a big $$(multiple year) FA. They choose not to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Lajitas said:

There's a first baseman who hit left-handers last season with a .324 / .359 / .414 slash line (.268 / .334 / .382 overall) that's available for league minimum.

The year before he hit them at 262/293/383. The year before that he hit them at 204/245/367. The year before that he hit them at 231/280/321. The year before that he hit them at 179/240/289.

No thanks on Hosmer,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

The year before he hit them at 262/293/383. The year before that he hit them at 204/245/367. The year before that he hit them at 231/280/321. The year before that he hit them at 179/240/289.

No thanks on Hosmer,

I'd rather take a flier on Hosmer at league minimum than Myers at $9 M.  Or Drury at $17 M.  Or Brian Anderson at $6 M plus.

As Brewers fans, we have been conditioned by the organization and the media to think we CAN'T spend the money.

It has been going on for years, and now that they have us all believing it, it makes it easier for them to not spend.

I simply don't believe they CAN'T spend the money when Attanasio admitted publicly that they could have spent a lot more money last year.  The fact that he admitted he could spend, and people still want to believe he CAN'T,  is amazing.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1 minute ago, jerichoholicninja said:

If you still haven't accepted the Brewers financial restrictions, for whatever reasons they may be, I don't know what to tell you.

I think the majority of us have accepted it, myself included, but if they really want to spend more, they could, according to MA himself.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

1 minute ago, jerichoholicninja said:

If you still haven't accepted the Brewers financial restrictions, for whatever reasons they may be, I don't know what to tell you.

I know what to tell them, but I keep getting suspended when I do.

2 minutes ago, TURBO said:

I think the majority of us have accepted it, myself included, but if they really want to spend more, they could, according to MA himself.

Which makes me think they are content with the team they currently have constructed. MA can afford these contracts the mid-level guys are getting. They’re just not interested in signing them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lajitas said:

We have Winker in RF.  Hosmer takes Singleton's roster spot.

There are 77 OF with at least 3,000 innings since 2017.

Winker ranks 74th in DRS (-39), 75th in UZR (-22.7) and 73rd in OAA (-31).

Given the emphasis placed on run prevention by the front office I don't think Winker will see too much time on the grass.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Which makes me think they are content with the team they currently have constructed. MA can afford these contracts the mid-level guys are getting. They’re just not interested in signing them. 

I actually appreciate that they don't want to spend money for the sake of spending money. Go after a guy if it's a clear upgrade, but otherwise it's better to go with your internal options. "Opportunistic" is the Brewers' strategy according to MA. See, the William Contreras/Jesse Winker trades..

• Like 2