Brewer Fanatic

Drury to Angels, 2 yrs $17 M

DR28

Meh. This is a guy who's been mostly replacement level aside from his first half with Cincinnati this year. Urias is better than him and younger with more upside. Turang might be able to put up a similar WAR on the strength of his glove. 

Let's see if we can grab a Wil Myers or Adam Duvall. Or maybe bring back Taylor Rogers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brewmann04 said:

BA or EL. are the next two

Yea I really want either Anderson or Longoria as our 3B for 2023... More so Anderson, younger and bigger upside... He would look great in our lineup behind Winker, Contreras and Tellez... Anderson was damn good player 18-20, he battled injuries in 21 and 22.

3 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Given the splits... I feel like the Crew dodged a bullet with this. Brian Anderson as a 3B/corner OF/1B option might not be bad, but I'd rather see the Crew try to extend Woodruff/Burnes/Adames instead.

Money spent in 2023/2024 isn't going to impact whether they can extend any of those 3. Why do people keep coming back to this point?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Meh. This is a guy who's been mostly replacement level aside from his first half with Cincinnati this year. Urias is better than him and younger with more upside. Turang might be able to put up a similar WAR on the strength of his glove. 

Let's see if we can grab a Wil Myers or Adam Duvall. Or maybe bring back Taylor Rogers. 

Feels like people want to upgrade third base just to spend money. This isn’t a lot of money, but it’s not nothing. If we go into the season with a lower payroll, hopefully it means more flexibility come July.

5 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

Feels like people want to upgrade third base just to spend money. This isn’t a lot of money, but it’s not nothing. If we go into the season with a lower payroll, hopefully it means more flexibility come July.

Well we do have to spend money on some MLB signings.

6 minutes ago, MrTPlush said:

I’m sure we will pick up bullpen help eventually. But we really don’t have much offensively to fill with Contreras/Winker added. Maybe bench help to replace Peterson?

I really could see us adding a 3B to slide Urias to 2B.

And yes definitely will be signing arms for pen… Rosenthal or Fulmer for me.

3 minutes ago, DR28 said:

Pretty sad the Oakland A’s have spent more money then us, so far.

Well they lost 102 games…they certainly have holes to fill.

As for upgrading 2B or 3B. They could, but I don’t think we desperately need to do it. These guys getting signed aren’t very good and hardly improvements at face value…if at all. Turang could easily outhit and outfield him.

• Like 3

Why is there an obsession with free agent signing? Just to do it?

Forget what you think you know about signing free agents. If Brandon Drury's of the world are getting 17M on 2 year deals, maybe we need to rethink our entire model. Avoid free agency entirely other than the minimum fillers. Invest heavily in the farm. Offer long extensions to every young promising player on our roster, earlier and earlier. 

• Like 8

Yeah, for a team like the Brewers, I take spending zero (or close to it) on free agency as a sign of organizational health.

It means they are developing enough players to fill out the majority of the roster through graduation or trades.

By my count there are 17 players on their Cots page that are either in Arby or on pre-FA extensions that will make something like 75 million dollars this year.

Between that and the Yelich contract there isn’t much left to spend on FA, though I do still think they’ll find enough in the seat cushions to sign a free agent (or maybe even two) before spring training rolls around.

• Like 1