Brewer Fanatic

Rosenthal hints at moving a OF prospect for pitching.

BallFour

Why trade now from the OF group when you can see a grand preview for 3months who is the one to stick with and who's one you can use at the trade deadline?  

I think the Rosenthal idea is just an educated assumption because at the moment Milwaukee has OF depth numbering  7/8 deep. And at most youre carrying is 5 in season.  Theyve got to move 1 eventually.

I'm keeping them all  until we're in season play and up until the offseason. You're trading some Pitcher next offseason, maybe(likely) 2, and including say 1 of Frelick/Mitchell gets your targeted prospect/ 1st-2nd season in ML player.

Wiemer is likely climbing in to top 50s as 23 season prospects graduate. 

There's little reason to expect Frelick/Mitchell/ or Chourio"s values as of now to decrease a year from now. Don't rush a trade is all I'm advocating for.  If we're trading 1 of the OFs for Vargas in LA or Baty in NYM, that's very reasonable, trading for a Pitcher though? Not needed this season.

• Like 4

I think Brady Singer from the K C Royals would be a good pitcher to target.  He's still young and won't reach ARB till next year.  He's 26 years old and started 24 games last year and had a 3.23 ERA with at FIP of 3.58.  He had a 4.5 WAR.  The problem is who the Brewers might have to give up.  I'm thinking at least Mitchell, Houser or Lauer, and one or more of our other prospects.  I hope Matt Arnold at least checks in with KC to see if he might be available.

• Like 1

I think the Royals will hang onto all their young up and comers, including Singer.

A team like that is looking for young MLB talent, not to peddle them off to other teams.

All the guys mentioned are exactly the kind of players they want, low budget, lots of control and bright futures.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

On 12/20/2022 at 5:46 AM, True Blue Brew Crew said:

I'm not against Chourio spending the entirety of 2023 in the minors BUT...

If he's tearing up AAA, the Brewers are in a 2nd half playoff battle, AND they have a black hole in their OF lineup (cough, cough someone like Jonathan Davis) then he dang well better be brought up.

Note: those are 3 specific conditions and I'm only advocating for Chourio if ALL 3 are met.

The Brewers narrowly missed the playoffs in a season where Jonathan Davis was an near everyday player for 2 months (6/23-8/23) posting an OPS+ of 71. That scenario CANNOT play out again on a team that decides to go for it whilst they still retain Burnes and Woodruff.

Right...they shouldn't be counting on Chourio this year, but players who've performed like he has by the age of 18 in the past have move very quickly through AA and AAA and been huge part of post-season rosters. Guys like Soto and Cabrera. 

I wouldn't bet on it, but if the guy is just crushing it in AA...and you've got a hole?

Everyone's just kinda jumping to a controllable starting pitcher(or a starting pitcher just period). 

I could see the Brewers trying to find another reliever like...Felix Bautista from the Os(doesn't have to be him, just an idea of the type of pitcher I think they'd target). 

A young flame thrower who the Brewers could slot into the 8th inning. I think that's a bigger need at the moment and it doesn't seem like the Orioles are trying to win this year. They've been operating with a payroll in the ~50M range for a while and...they've done very little this year to suggest they're going for it. So it seems like they want to let their young core play together for a year, then maybe supplement? 

IDK, either way, I'm not stuck on Bautista. He was one of the most valuable relievers in the game last year. It could be another high leverage reliever with that type of stuff. Dylan Coleman from the Royals would be a nice option...

It seems like with Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta and Lauer...then Ashby expected to take a step this year, they probably wouldn't be looking to trade one of their top prospects for a starter. 

It's a well-written, well-researched item in that article, but it's pretty clear Rosenthal is just speculating.

Unless there's a deal that's to good not to make, I don't think there's any way the Brewers are in a hurry to trade another of their top OF prospects.  If their cadre of OF prospects is that strong, I think they need to make any move with an eye to the long view, not the short one.

I love trades as much as the next guy, but this is one situation where I'm not eager to see a 2nd OF prospect moved this winter.  There's also plenty of time left in this offseason.  No need to rush into anything.