Brewer Fanatic

Rosenthal hints at moving a OF prospect for pitching.

BallFour

In Ken's latest article he has a snippet speculating the Brewers could trade Wiemer or Mitchell for pitching. He starts out by saying Chourio is untouchable and Frelick is pretty close to untouchable as well. He doesn't say anything specific besides trading for pitching. 

Chourio shouldn't be up in 2023 unless he hits .330 or more in AA and AAA, and even then only if we're struggling to make the playoffs, and after he'd possibly lose his rookie status.
I personally don't think we need a new #4-5 starter. We have 6, with a couple possibilities to be called up mid-season.  
The only way I'd trade Mitchell or Wiemer is if analytics AND top scouts didn't think they'll cut it; given their promotions this past season, I can't imagine that being the truth.

For depth, sign the best guy or two who will take a minor league contract with a ST invite.

2 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Chourio shouldn't be up in 2023 unless he hits .330 or more in AA and AAA, and even then only if we're struggling to make the playoffs, and after he'd possibly lose his rookie status.

I'm not against Chourio spending the entirety of 2023 in the minors BUT...

If he's tearing up AAA, the Brewers are in a 2nd half playoff battle, AND they have a black hole in their OF lineup (cough, cough someone like Jonathan Davis) then he dang well better be brought up.

Note: those are 3 specific conditions and I'm only advocating for Chourio if ALL 3 are met.

The Brewers narrowly missed the playoffs in a season where Jonathan Davis was an near everyday player for 2 months (6/23-8/23) posting an OPS+ of 71. That scenario CANNOT play out again on a team that decides to go for it whilst they still retain Burnes and Woodruff.

• Like 1

I would venture to guess they would be after an intriguing starter that is controllable for 4+ years. Thus, helping bridge the gap when we lose Burnes and/or Woodruff. Can't imagine we are looking to trade one of our top prospects for someone we are going to be looking to trade just like Woodruff/Burnes soon.

Not sure who really fits that profile....and it certainly would take a lot more than one of those OFers. Our OF depth and minors might take a hit, but you are about to reload in a big way with all or some of Adames/Burnes/Woodruff. This isn't like acquiring Yelich where we took a big hit in the minors (not in retrospect of course) and weren't really going to reheal it for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, True Blue Brew Crew said:

The Brewers narrowly missed the playoffs in a season where Jonathan Davis was an near everyday player for 2 months (6/23-8/23) posting an OPS+ of 71. That scenario CANNOT play out again on a team that decides to go for it whilst they still retain Burnes and Woodruff.

Well, we have a new GM... hopefully this one has a bit more urgency. 

• Like 1

Maybe I am reading too much into it but my thinking is along these lines

1) they know exactly what it would take to extend Woodruff and Burnes

2) They have a trade they really like lined up for one of those 2

3) Pieces of that deal include getting back a high end OF prospect they prefer to some players we have now

4) 2 deals that give us another solid starting pitcher while dealing one of the big 2 to further boost our overall team and depth. 

What those deals are, i don't know but just spitballing

1 hour ago, Luke99 said:

Maybe I am reading too much into it but my thinking is along these lines

1) they know exactly what it would take to extend Woodruff and Burnes

2) They have a trade they really like lined up for one of those 2

3) Pieces of that deal include getting back a high end OF prospect they prefer to some players we have now

4) 2 deals that give us another solid starting pitcher while dealing one of the big 2 to further boost our overall team and depth. 

What those deals are, i don't know but just spitballing

1) Probably at this point

2-4) I really doubt that. 

The likely scenario is they know Burnes/Woodruff (probably both) need to be traded next offseason. By trading for someone this offseason it helps them this year and then helps bridge the gap to losing them after the year. The prospect lose isn't much considering them massive hauls we are set to get anyway, The loss of say (hypothetical Weimer+) isn't going to be a huge deal when we reload with 3+ similar prospects in the offseason. 

The Marlins make the most sense here but Mitchell's and Wiemer's value would only get you someone like Garrett.  I don't think Lopez would be someone the Brewers would want as he only has 2-years left '23 and '24 before he is a free agent so that puts the Brewers in the same spot as they are in now. 

Rogers is probably a better target but I don't see the Marlins trading him.  The Marlins best option really is to trade Lopez to the Orioles for Mullins.  That makes the most sense for the Marlins and Orioles.  Beyond the Marlins I am not sure there is a fit elsewhere.  Maybe Cleveland but I don't think Mitchell or Wiemer would really be someone of interest to them. 

I don't know about this.  Obviously sure if you see a deal you like and/or you think one of the OFs might flop so it's a sell high.  But from an outsider's perspective I was actually thinking the opposite the other day.

Basically after seeing the ridiculous cost of pitching, even blah mid level ones like Taillon or Quintana one would think there would be a healthy market for a Lauer type where a team could trade prospects rather than fork out tons of money and get a solid mid level P back at a reasonable salary for a few years. From the Brewers perspective they'd still have a really good rotation, as someone said they already have 6 starters.  but this could possibly fill some BP gaps and/or get a legit multi year controlled infield hitting prospect close to the majors. And of course Lauer's control is winding down soon so I thought it would be a good time to cash in for more than we'd have thought 6-7 months ago. 

4 hours ago, True Blue Brew Crew said:

Davis got 85 PAs during the 51 game stretch you referenced, 10th among position players and 4th among OF.

FanGraphs credited him with 0.4 WAR and +0.22 WPA during that stretch.

The team went 26-25 during those two months amidst their 54-58 stretch to close out this season.

The numbers seem to indicate getting positive contributions from Davis as the 6th OF on the 40 Man did more to keep us in the race than it did to keep us out of the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nate82 said:

The Marlins make the most sense here but Mitchell's and Wiemer's value would only get you someone like Garrett.  I don't think Lopez would be someone the Brewers would want as he only has 2-years left '23 and '24 before he is a free agent so that puts the Brewers in the same spot as they are in now. 

Rogers is probably a better target but I don't see the Marlins trading him.  The Marlins best option really is to trade Lopez to the Orioles for Mullins.  That makes the most sense for the Marlins and Orioles.  Beyond the Marlins I am not sure there is a fit elsewhere.  Maybe Cleveland but I don't think Mitchell or Wiemer would really be someone of interest to them. 

I like the Marlins as a fit, they need a CF bad what about Edward Cabrera for Mitchell? Mitchell and Cabrera both have question marks. Mitchell would be a pretty good get with his defensive ability in that cavernous outfield. 

• Like 2

If could work out a deal with Marlins, I would love Rogers in return... Package something around Mitchell +.

Getting Rogers would make me feel a lot better about losing Burnes and most likely Woodruff as well in the coming years... Peralta/Rogers/Ashby, yea that would be a great young trio!

23 minutes ago, BallFour said:

I like the Marlins as a fit, they need a CF bad what about Edward Cabrera for Mitchell? Mitchell and Cabrera both have question marks. Mitchell would be a pretty good get with his defensive ability in that cavernous outfield. 

I think the Marlins would prefer to keep their cost controlled pitching and would prefer to trade Lopez than Cabrera.  I think Garrett is probably the one they would prefer to trade out of all of their young pitching that they have control over. 

I don't see the Marlins trading Rogers and even if the Marlins did trade him it would cost Frelick plus more to get him.  I believe best case scenario for Mitchell or Wiemer is in a package for Garrett or someone similar. 

5 minutes ago, Weirdos19 said:

I’m drooling over Sixto Sanchez….what do you think we’d need to give up?  Wiemer, Ashby, and ??

Neither of those guys. Sanchez's value is at its lowest ebb rn due to the injuries. A guy like Luis Lara would probably be enough. 

I wouldnt mind Mitchell for Rogers straight up but I wouldn't add to it. What worries me is that Rogers wasn' great even get in 4 AAA starts last year. 

Maybe Mitchell to Texas for Owen White, Texas has Leiter, Porter, and Rocker as future arms so White would be a great get.

• Like 1