Brewer Fanatic

Omar to Mets

markedman5

2 minutes ago, monty57 said:

By "prove it," I mean that he's getting $8M, but if he has a big offensive year he can decline his option and sign a bigger deal for '24. If he flops, he can exercise his option and still get $7M.

With the way contracts are going, if he had a good offensive year last year, he would have received more than 2/$15. By doing it as a one-year-with-player-option deal, he has a better chance at a big payday than if he had simply signed a two-year deal.

Prove it deals, to me, were always meant to be advantageous to the teams that sign them. Having a 7 million dollar player option for year 2 is really only good for Omar.

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
40 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

hink he’s actually kind of setting up a lose/lose scenario though. Get knocked out in the Wild Card again? LOLMets. Win the whole shebang? Well, they spent almost half a billion on payroll and luxury tax, they should.

I would happily be a loser in this fashion once in my life...

I can't say I'm stunned by Omar's contract.  He is a starting caliber C.  If he rebounds to 2021, this is a steal.  If he is just what he was last year... $7M for a replacement level starter isn't overly surprising.  

Seems like we are stunned by FA prices every year because every year they go up. This really isn't that much out of line...

Since it's a player option, for tax purposes, the salary number applied to Narvaez is 7.5 million.  Not sure if it's entirely fair to assign the entire part of the luxury payment for that 7.5 million to Narvaez since there are so many players making more money than him on the team (did Narvaez salary put the Mets over the luxury tax threshold, or the nearly 120 million they are paying Scherzer, Verlander and Lindor...Cots has them with 8 players that will have a figure of 15 million or greater in 2023), but let's just say that all of the 90% luxury tax they are paying at the highest threshold will be assigned to Narvaez.  So that 7.5 + 6.75 = 14.25 million.

Cots has the Mets at 325 million.  With what I know about the luxury tax and the Mets as a second time payer (not an expert, may be wrong), I calculate the tax adds another 60.9 million on top of that, so the Mets payout is roughly 386 million this season.

So at the most, Narvaez accounts for 14.25/386*100= 3.7% of the Mets total payroll.  If the Brewers run a 115 million dollar payroll this year, 3.7% of 115 million is 4.25 million.  Would it be so crazy for the Brewers to bring in a 4.25 million dollar catcher, even if only warming the seat for a stud prospect to take over (super two game), and to provide a solid insurance policy if the stud turns into a dud?

40 minutes ago, JosephC said:

Since it's a player option, for tax purposes, the salary number applied to Narvaez is 7.5 million.  Not sure if it's entirely fair to assign the entire part of the luxury payment for that 7.5 million to Narvaez since there are so many players making more money than him on the team (did Narvaez salary put the Mets over the luxury tax threshold, or the nearly 120 million they are paying Scherzer, Verlander and Lindor...Cots has them with 8 players that will have a figure of 15 million or greater in 2023), but let's just say that all of the 90% luxury tax they are paying at the highest threshold will be assigned to Narvaez.  So that 7.5 + 6.75 = 14.25 million.

Cots has the Mets at 325 million.  With what I know about the luxury tax and the Mets as a second time payer (not an expert, may be wrong), I calculate the tax adds another 60.9 million on top of that, so the Mets payout is roughly 386 million this season.

So at the most, Narvaez accounts for 14.25/386*100= 3.7% of the Mets total payroll.  If the Brewers run a 115 million dollar payroll this year, 3.7% of 115 million is 4.25 million.  Would it be so crazy for the Brewers to bring in a 4.25 million dollar catcher, even if only warming the seat for a stud prospect to take over (super two game), and to provide a solid insurance policy if the stud turns into a dud?

I was just going off this passage in the MLBTR write up..."New York has already shattered the fourth and final tier of CBT penalization, subjecting them to a 90% tax on every additional dollar spent. The Narváez deal will cost them an extra $6.75MM in taxes, meaning the Mets are committing $14.75MM to secure his services for next year alone (in addition to the 2024 option). "

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sveumrules said:

If you think 8 million is a lot, Mets are actually paying closer to 15 million with the luxury tax penalty.

Personally I find the way Cohen is operating in contrast to even the other ultra super mega obscenely wealthy MLB owners kind of fascinating.

Think he’s actually kind of setting up a lose/lose scenario though. Get knocked out in the Wild Card again? LOLMets. Win the whole shebang? Well, they spent almost half a billion on payroll and luxury tax, they should.

This could be a topic of it's own but despite the near billions of dollars they've spent, have they actually improved the team? Two of those large contracts went to re-signing their own guys and Verlander basically replaces deGrom. Seems like they'll be running out the same team that just choked the division last year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jerichoholicninja said:

This could be a topic of it's own but despite the near billions of dollars they've spent, have they actually improved the team? Two of those large contracts went to re-signing their own guys and Verlander basically replaces deGrom. Seems like they'll be running out the same team that just choked the division last year.

Last year they tallied 31.3 WAR on offense and 20.3 rWAR on the mound. FanGraphs depth charts currently have them projected at 32.2 WAR on offense and 19.3 WAR on the mound. Obviously lots of offseason to go, but not a whole lot of movement of the bottom line compared to the headlines.

For comparison Brewers were at 24.3 WAR on offense and 15.9 WAR on the mound last year vs current projections of 24.6 WAR on offense and 17.7 WAR on the mound. Slightly better movement on the bottom line despite a much quieter offseason.

41 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Last year they tallied 31.3 WAR on offense and 20.3 rWAR on the mound. FanGraphs depth charts currently have them projected at 32.2 WAR on offense and 19.3 WAR on the mound. Obviously lots of offseason to go, but not a whole lot of movement of the bottom line compared to the headlines.

For comparison Brewers were at 24.3 WAR on offense and 15.9 WAR on the mound last year vs current projections of 24.6 WAR on offense and 17.7 WAR on the mound. Slightly better movement on the bottom line despite a much quieter offseason.

Where did the Brewers get better as of now on their pitching staff to account for the higher projected war. 

1 minute ago, brewers888 said:

Where did the Brewers get better as of now on their pitching staff to account for the higher projected war. 

Would imagine most of it is regression to the mean/better health for guys like Woodruff, Peralta and Houser who went from 13.6 combined rWAR in 2021 to 5.2 combined rWAR in 2022. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, Jopal78 said:

The Brewers gave their 2nd round CBA pick in '20 for Narvaez. The Reds used that pick in 2020 to select pitcher Connor Phillips. Phillips was then traded to Cincinnati in the spring of '22 for Jesse Winker. Next Seattle traded Jesse Winker in late '22 to Milwaukee for Kolten Wong.   What a merry go round. 

Not a horrible acquisition, but in some ways, less than what was hoped for.

OTOH, if Contreres slips offensively, the Crew's on hte hook for less than $2 million over two years. Beats paying Narvaez $8 million.