Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers' Outfield Has Questions, May Require Moves in Free Agency

Tim Muma

I’d kind of split the difference. Sign Myers or someone similar. If Mitchell and Frelick are playing well, he platoons with Tellez and Winker. If not, and Wiemer isn’t ready, he is a decent backup plan. I would start the two of them to start the season, though.

I think there is a decent chance that Turang starts the season in AAA with Toro getting first crack at third. Assuming he is playing well, though, he would be my first call up from AAA.

5 hours ago, Tim Muma said:

A few things here...

1) I was being a bit hyperbolic in saying fewer than 4 runs per game, but I believe that regular lineup would be bottom third.

2) I appreciate projections, that that is all they are. And especially for rookies/guys with 1 year experience, there's a fair amount of pure faith in non-MLB performance. I would be surprised if Mithell and Turang reached 99 wRC+ and 94 wRC+ respectively. And if you want to go with Steamer wRC+, Santander is 115 and Brandon Drury is 105. With a window to win now, I'd like those upgrades.

3) I'd also warn about utilizing 1 or 2 stats to determine how well an offense works/fits as a whole. By some measures last season, the Brewers offense should have been seen as a reliable, dangerous group. However, they were wildly inconsistent and it felt like the "mix" of players didn't work for some reason. Hard to measure or evaluate, but I think there is something bigger to lineup construction.

Again, not saying I am right or anyone is wrong, just my thoughts on the whole idea of adding to the position players.

The Brewers offense was 6th in 4+ and 5+ run games and T-9th in fewest times held to 2 runs or less. Hard to be much more consistent than that. Even the Yankees weren't that consistent, and they were the only other team to average 5+ runs.

12 hours ago, wntrtxn21 said:

I am trying to understand your math. Mitchell/Taylor/Frelick are making the minimum (I think it's $711k) which equals $2.13M.  Winker is $8.25M and Yelich $22M. That's about $32.5M. The estimates that I have seen for Woody ($11.25)/Burnes ($12)/Adames ($9.25) equal about $32.5M also. On the high side that's $65M. That would leave (assuming $120M is the is correct) $55M for 18 players or about $3.1M per guy. I'm pretty sure Contreras is at the minimum and if Turang/Strzelecki/Cousins make the team (which looks highly probable) they are at the minimum too. I think there would still be room to add a reasonable 3B if one comes available and a little help in the pen. 

Yelich is making $27 million I will attach a site that details his contract.  Deferred salary counts!!!  Also Mitchell/Frelick are first round picks with major league contracts doubt they make league minimums as is Taylor who is entering his 3rd year.  Also don't forget the dead money of the Boxburger buyout and the Wong buy in.  Plus the money traded for Toro.  How come you don't include the salaries of Luis Urias, Devin Williams, Rowdy Tellez, Lauer, Houser?  Besides all three of Woody, Burnes, and Adames will get more than those low numbers especially Burnes and his 200 plus inning and league leading strikeouts.

Christian Yelich Contract Details, Salaries, & Earnings | Spotrac

On 12/16/2022 at 12:22 PM, Tim Muma said:

Each person is completely entitled to their opinions and we can't prove that anyone is wrong or right here because we can't play out the season in different ways. So for the "let all the kids play" crowd, you are comfortable with the following lineup, when you're in a competitive window with one of the best rotations in baseball?

1 - Yelich LF
2 - Adames SS
3 - Winker DH
4 - Contreras C
5 - Tellez 1B
6 - Urias 3B/2B
7 - Frelick RF
8 - Mitchell CF
9 - Turang 2B/3B

And against LHP? Frelick, Mitchell, Turang, Yelich, Winker, Tellez all LH.  Taylor, Brosseau the only 2 right-handed options. Toro a switch-hitter.  I don't know. Looks like less than 4 runs per game to me. And with an injury or two, big dropoff. I just think you need to trickle in the youngsters, like they did with Weeks, Hardy, Braun, Fielder, and Hart.

I'd probably have Frelick 9 Mitchell 7 and Turang 8.

You said it on vs LHP, Taylor and Brosseau, swap out 1 Lefty Of and Turang.  If you can't see 4runs a game, you're not seeing the importance to Winker over McCutchen. Contreras over any Catcher.  Mitchell/Frelick over Cain/Davis. We add that Turner fella you're taking the pressure off Turang's PA load as well as Hiura's 3TO style.  

The opening day lineup is going to have Yelich and Taylor in the outfield.  The third spot will be manned by a rookie to be determined.  I think Mitchell is most likely set as the 4th outfielder.  When he's not starting, he's a defensive replacement/pinch runner.  I think Frelick is the most likely to start the season as a regular.  The question is whether it's Taylor in CF and Frelick in RF or vice versa.  Winker plays LF only on days when Yelich needs a rest.  That's probably 30-35 OF starts for Winker.  Wiemer is the wild card.  I think they want him to force them to call him up at midseason.  That could force Taylor to the bench or either Mitchell or Frelick back down.  Adjustments will be made depending on performance but it's not like they don't have options for different combinations.  They'll probably sign another veteran outfielder on a AAA deal for insurance too.

In short, I don't see a big deal for an outfielder.

On 12/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, JohnBriggs12 said:

The opening day lineup is going to have Yelich and Taylor in the outfield.  The third spot will be manned by a rookie to be determined.  I think Mitchell is most likely set as the 4th outfielder.  When he's not starting, he's a defensive replacement/pinch runner.  I think Frelick is the most likely to start the season as a regular.  The question is whether it's Taylor in CF and Frelick in RF or vice versa.  Winker plays LF only on days when Yelich needs a rest.  That's probably 30-35 OF starts for Winker.  Wiemer is the wild card.  I think they want him to force them to call him up at midseason.  That could force Taylor to the bench or either Mitchell or Frelick back down.  Adjustments will be made depending on performance but it's not like they don't have options for different combinations.  They'll probably sign another veteran outfielder on a AAA deal for insurance too.

In short, I don't see a big deal for an outfielder.

If anything, I think the biggest deal the Brewers will make involving an OF will be the team trading Winker for someone 2-3 months in as Joey Wiemer forces the issue.

11 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

If anything, I think the biggest deal the Brewers will make involving an OF will be the team trading Winker for someone 2-3 months in as Joey Wiemer forces the issue.

Potentially if Winker is struggling (he may not make opening day yet actually) but He's such an offensive upgrade if he's hitting even vaguely like his career numbers that its probably more likely that Mitchell or Frelick, if under performing or have some work ons, drop down to AAA

15 minutes ago, jakedood said:

Potentially if Winker is struggling (he may not make opening day yet actually) but He's such an offensive upgrade if he's hitting even vaguely like his career numbers that its probably more likely that Mitchell or Frelick, if under performing or have some work ons, drop down to AAA

I think it could happen either way.

Mitchell's been consistent in his career - about a .370 OBP, some serious speed, etc. Frelick is pretty similar. Both would provide excellent defense, and could be spelled by Tyrone Taylor against lefties. Wiemer's simply produced and has one of the highest offensive ceilings save for Chourio.

If Winker does well, the Crew can flip him for some prospects. If he's struggling, they can DFA him and call Wiemer up. The future OF could very well be Frelick-Mitchell-Wiemer, with Taylor as 4th OF and Yelich as full-time DH.

I think there's an underestimation of what Winker doing well looks like, as potentially the best hitter the Brewers have, not saying he will but he has the ceiling of a 900 OPS guy if he stays healthy

That guy doesnt get traded if you're in contention, so a lot of factors may come into this, but i think its also likely that Mitchell isnt going to be a high 700 OPS, his SO rate is very high and hits a lot more IF ground balls than Frelick has, though with better defense and speed. 

We'll see how it pans out but it is fairly common for hitters to go down for a while to keep getting AB's and adjust to a few things for their return to Major league level