Brewer Fanatic

What to do about 3rd Base ?

On 1/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, DR28 said:

I know projections dont mean much... But if Toro puts up his 23 ZIPS line, I'll be damn happy.

Abraham Toro B 26 2B 481 428 61 106 21 3 14 60 42 82 5 2
Abraham Toro 481 .248 .324 .409 100 .161 .277 -4 1.6 .319

Not sure how that isnt passable?? I'll take .324 OBP and 14 HRs 60 RBIs all day from our 2B.

Turang can probably give us .340 OBP, 8 HR, 45 RBI and 20 steals, with superb defense.

2 hours ago, DR28 said:

Or he could be absolutely overmatched and struggle badly.

I could not be less excited about Turang, I think this is highly likely

• Like 1
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

On 1/10/2023 at 2:00 PM, DR28 said:

Or he could be absolutely overmatched and struggle badly.

Turang has vibes/ stat similarities being a Kolten Wong. Only he could do SS and not just 2b. Low ceiling, high floor with plus defense. So long as he maintains a respectable BB/K rates. Consistent 2-3.0WAR starter.  He ran in to more HRs last season it would improve that upside but you fear are Ks increasing to.

1 hour ago, Mr Southpaw said:

Brandon Woodruff  SP

Luis Urias 3B

for 

Jose Rameriz  3B

Logan Allen  LHP  AAA

Think big...Just a starting point, add or delete from either side.

You would have to delete Ramirez.  The Guardians are not trading Ramirez well maybe for a package of Woodruff, Burnes, Chourio, Wiemer, Frelick and Mitchell they would think about doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Southpaw said:

Brandon Woodruff  SP

Luis Urias 3B

for 

Jose Rameriz  3B

Logan Allen  LHP  AAA

Guardian would hang up immediately.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr Southpaw said:

Brandon Woodruff  SP

Luis Urias 3B

for 

Jose Rameriz  3B

Logan Allen  LHP  AAA

Won't lie when first reading the proposal I thought who else is Cleveland adding? I did not know Cleveland has control of Ramirez thru age 35 season 25mil and less every year before.  He's everything a team would want to build around. #2 or 3 hitter and 3b switch hitter. There is no reason for Cleveland to trade away what you practically set out finding as they have it. And cheap cheap and more cheap controlling it.  It must be known by GMs Cleveland isn't taking calls on him. That they'll call you when they want to make a trade offer including him.

I still like Yandy Diaz for a couple reasons:

1-Adames and his hack/overseeing approach is a bad fit for 2 hitter. Maybe Contreras could be out there but his 2022 numbers might come back to earth. Diaz and his high OBP fits there between Yelich and Rowdy/Winker.

2-his biggest knock is 3B defense. But, he can move to 1B/DH vs LHP and Brosseau can start at 3B. Same for Brosseau coming in late in games to hit for Rowdy against a lefty. And when Turang comes up during the season, Urias can move back to 3B and push Diaz to 1B/DH.

3-TB might be open to getting another OF as well as trading Diaz now that he’s expensive and they have a plethora of IF options 

4 hours ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Won't lie when first reading the proposal I thought who else is Cleveland adding? I did not know Cleveland has control of Ramirez thru age 35 season 25mil and less every year before.  He's everything a team would want to build around. #2 or 3 hitter and 3b switch hitter. There is no reason for Cleveland to trade away what you practically set out finding as they have it. And cheap cheap and more cheap controlling it.  It must be known by GMs Cleveland isn't taking calls on him. That they'll call you when they want to make a trade offer including him.

CLE is not taking calls on Jose Ramirez as the extension Jose signed has a FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE.

For those unaware - Jose overruled his agents last spring and pushed for this deal to get done as he wanted to remain in CLE.  Otherwise CLE was close to dealing Jose at the end of spring training 2022 (rumors were to San Diego)..

• Like 2

And with the Anderson signing, the Brewers have definitely exceeded critical mass in terms of quality IF depth.  It seems pretty certain that going forward, there's not room on this roster for all of those folks.  Soooo..... hmmm......

I hadn't done this in awhile, but I viewed one of ESPNs fantasy baseball rankings. (Burnes #2SP Woody #5SP! respect)

Urias was like #21-23 3b. So checking 3b rankings and maybe someone realistic the Brewers could trade for.  Arizona committed it appears Josh Royas at 3b finally last year. He's a Super 2 1st year going through Arb. 28. His numbers via statcast improved YoY. He's someone to watch how his numbers are stacking up as trade deadline approaches. 3 years team control beyond 23. Arizona is a seller team vs playoff team. Royals has good bb rate and he reduced his k rate YoY. Goes with any little improvement becoming a full time player at 3b he will post solid batting numbers moving forward. You heard here 1st! Lol(I hope)

Forgot to add. Launch angle career is 9.9% was little over 11 last season. It's a good place to be at.

34 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

I hadn't done this in awhile, but I viewed one of ESPNs fantasy baseball rankings. (Burnes #2SP Woody #5SP! respect)

Urias was like #21-23 3b. So checking 3b rankings and maybe someone realistic the Brewers could trade for.  Arizona committed it appears Josh Royas at 3b finally last year. He's a Super 2 1st year going through Arb. 28. His numbers via statcast improved YoY. He's someone to watch how his numbers are stacking up as trade deadline approaches. 3 years team control beyond 23. Arizona is a seller team vs playoff team. Royals has good bb rate and he reduced his k rate YoY. Goes with any little improvement becoming a full time player at 3b he will post solid batting numbers moving forward. You heard here 1st! Lol(I hope)

Forgot to add. Launch angle career is 9.9% was little over 11 last season. It's a good place to be at.

I enjoy your opinions, but damn, your posts are super hard to read.  :(

• WHOA SOLVDD 1
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

41 minutes ago, TURBO said:

I enjoy your opinions, but damn, your posts are super hard to read.  :(

Yeah lack of education, post BC brain power, unorganized writing, checking the baseball sites for info, writing on a phone, getting disrupted, trying to write as if I was saying this out loud sentences.  I shake my head sometimes.  I'll read my post after posting and see a spelling error or auto-correct error, fix them, realize I missed something and I'll say edit add or adding so I don't make a second post.   A lot of my posts do happen when I can't fall asleep and I'm making them because it's quiet for those sleeping above me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 10:38 AM, Devinep said:

I still like Yandy Diaz for a couple reasons:

1-Adames and his hack/overseeing approach is a bad fit for 2 hitter. Maybe Contreras could be out there but his 2022 numbers might come back to earth. Diaz and his high OBP fits there between Yelich and Rowdy/Winker.

2-his biggest knock is 3B defense. But, he can move to 1B/DH vs LHP and Brosseau can start at 3B. Same for Brosseau coming in late in games to hit for Rowdy against a lefty. And when Turang comes up during the season, Urias can move back to 3B and push Diaz to 1B/DH.

3-TB might be open to getting another OF as well as trading Diaz now that he’s expensive and they have a plethora of IF options 

I think the idea/ hope of Yandy Diaz can be put to bed....

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/rays-close-to-contract-extension-with-yandy-diaz.html

3 yrs at 24M along with a possible 4th year option.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, DoubleSwitch said:

How much money would the dodgers need to shed to get under the tax? Would they sell low on Muncy?

Muncy is pretty overpaid for what he gives you. He was good in 2021, but pretty terrible in 2020 and last year. He's also going to be 32 this year, so that is also a factor. Not sure what he provides that a younger Brian Anderson doesn't at a fraction of the cost.

I like our Anderson, Urias, Turang, Toro, Miller, Brosseau, and Huira options for 2B and 3B this year however it would be nice to have a halfway decent 3B prospect in out system. Maybe if we swap a pitcher or some of that IF depth we could get some sort of 3B prospect not on the 40 man but potentially a year away.