Brewer Fanatic

What to do about 3rd Base ?

3 team deal

We get Baty and Carrasco O' get Lauer Mets get Cionel Perez and Logan Henderson.

We take on Carrascos 15 mill and have him to replace Lauer. In player value we only give up Henderson. O's turn a 7th inning reliever into a solid starter. Mets save a bunch in $(not that they care) get a high end reliever and a solid prospect for Baty.

14 minutes ago, DR28 said:

Damn, sounds like Mets are moving Baty to LF.

They still have Canha 1 year+ option, Nimmo 8 years, and Marte 3 years. Not much pt for Baty in the OF unless there are injuries. It does make sense to move him but you lose some value turning a good defense 3rd baseman into a meh LF.

They should probably just trade him to us for a couple young prospects.

11 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

They still have Canha 1 year+ option, Nimmo 8 years, and Marte 3 years. Not much pt for Baty in the OF unless there are injuries. It does make sense to move him but you lose some value turning a good defense 3rd baseman into a meh LF.

They should probably just trade him to us for a couple young prospects.

Canha is probably the guy they would try and move, not Baty.

2 hours ago, IntentionalHBP1 said:

I would take on 100% of Cookies and Canhas contracts and offer Mitchell for baty. 

but I’m just an armchair gm so just a fantasy lol

There's some logic there, for sure.  Nimmo's not going to be a CF for the full length of his contract.  If the Mets could flip Baty for a long-term CF option, that's a deal that might make sense for them.  They have Alex Ramirez in their system, but he may end up in RF.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, DR28 said:

The more I read on Brian Anderson the more I want him as our 3B.... He's still a damn good player and I'm sure could be had for cheap... Anderson at 3B and Urias at 2b would strengthen this team.

Yelich

Adames

Winker

Contreras

Tellez

Anderson

Urias

Taylor

Mitchell

That is a contending lineup!

NVM.  Already covered.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, Hopper said:

Canha is probably the guy they would try and move, not Baty.

And he would make a lot of sense for the Brewers. He could start in TF and also platoon at 1B/DH. I’d love to see a better OBP who hits righty/switch to move Adames and his Javy Baez approach out of the 2 spot between Yelich and Winker or Tellez, and there aren’t any FA options left who do that.  Some people still believe in the BTV site so Weimer and a lottery ticket for Canha and Mark Vientos (not much glove and blocked even more now) should work for both sides

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devinep said:

And he would make a lot of sense for the Brewers. He could start in TF and also platoon at 1B/DH. I’d love to see a better OBP who hits righty/switch to move Adames and his Javy Baez approach out of the 2 spot between Yelich and Winker or Tellez, and there aren’t any FA options left who do that.  Some people still believe in the BTV site so Weimer and a lottery ticket for Canha and Mark Vientos (not much glove and blocked even more now) should work for both sides

Absolutely 100% No!

We need to hang onto Wiemer and Frelick imo.  Chourio same, but I don't think I need to say it.

Just NO!

• Like 1
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

38 minutes ago, TURBO said:

Absolutely 100% No!

We need to hang onto Wiemer and Frelick imo.  Chourio same, but I don't think I need to say it.

Just NO!

You actually can trade players if you get equal or better players in return. Look at Vientos and Chana before you just assume “NO!” Just because Weiner is mentioned as though he’s the next Mike Trout. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Devinep said:

You actually can trade players if you get equal or better players in return. Look at Vientos and Chana before you just assume “NO!” Just because Weiner is mentioned as though he’s the next Mike Trout. 

I did just look at Vientos and that's a higher risk prospect than Wiemer. Reads mostly like 1b/DH with a hope of 3b poorly. Then add 30pct k rate and what's the upside? 

And Chana? I had to look around theres is none. So maybe Canha?  13.5Mil or 2/23mil LF.  Don't understand taking an old OF for a prospect that has high upside. How does he fit the roster? Which player you ejecting from OF? Taylor? Mitchell-Frelick delay? 

Just seems like making a move just to make a move. 20mil saved by the Mets they must be paying the Brewers money?  Since Mil can afford to take on 13.5mil or 2/23 shouldn't they ask for more back? Or reduce the prospect given to like Carlos Rodriguez? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

I did just look at Vientos and that's a higher risk prospect than Wiemer. Reads mostly like 1b/DH with a hope of 3b poorly. Then add 30pct k rate and what's the upside? 

And Chana? I had to look around theres is none. So maybe Canha?  13.5Mil or 2/23mil LF.  Don't understand taking an old OF for a prospect that has high upside. How does he fit the roster? Which player you ejecting from OF? Taylor? Mitchell-Frelick delay? 

Just seems like making a move just to make a move. 20mil saved by the Mets they must be paying the Brewers money?  Since Mil can afford to take on 13.5mil or 2/23 shouldn't they ask for more back? Or reduce the prospect given to like Carlos Rodriguez? 

If Vientos has too high of a K rate for you, wait until you see Wiemer’s. Yeah Wiemer is a better prospect because of D but Vientos has hit well and could be the future 1B. And that’s why the Brewers would get Canha too. If you don’t think his 367. OBP last year (348 career) and RHB would help at 1B/DH and play RF for the first few weeks, then we can agree to disagree there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Devinep said:

If Vientos has too high of a K rate for you, wait until you see Wiemer’s. Yeah Wiemer is a better prospect because of D but Vientos has hit well and could be the future 1B. And that’s why the Brewers would get Canha too. If you don’t think his 367. OBP last year (348 career) and RHB would help at 1B/DH and play RF for the first few weeks, then we can agree to disagree there. 

Only thing here is that in Vientos, the Brewers have a better RHB minor league version of him playing 1b/DH with 2b already in Keston Hiura.  Thus the move doesn't help the team  Canha is turning 34 and paid 13.5mil guaranteed or 23mil the next 2 seasons.  LF is where Canha plays, so you want to add him to the OF mix where Yelich and Winker are already battling for DH to avoid playing?  Wiemer has a future in RF and you want to take RF for a LF that costs top 5 money on the Brewers team in 23.  Keeping down 1 of Mitchell or Frelick, and lose Wiemer in the process.   You are playing checkers by in your mind filling a Batting Lineup need, I'm playing chess knowing we have Mitchell and Frelick who have to be locks for over .700OPS while providing better outfield depth and keeping a RF top 100 prospect that has every bit potential to be a batting lineup star. 

This is attempting to add 1? 2 games more won via batting(if at all) while moving a long term solution at RF and removing Hiura to replace with Vientos that maybe has a chance at 40 games started this season? Sit in the minors most likely all season.  Canha is old, .775 career OPS batter projected at .746 this season.(2021 total)   Well within reason that Mitchell and Frelick exceed that, and should Wiemer arrive exceeds that himself as all 3 are career .800 plus OPS in the minors.  Frelick/Wiemer over .870 thus far and 46/43 AAA games played.  I haven't even put Chourio out there since he's only seen a few games at the AA level. 

Just doesn't work as an improved roster logically.  There's a reason drafts have been heavy CF/SS defensively.  You're acquiring 2 guys that aren't defensively skilled at the positions they play much less versatile for one who's bat is on level while possessing the skill defensively to play multiple positions.  Oh and add 13mil-23mil to payroll.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Devinep said:

Well...Wiemer's is lower than Vientos and Wiemer has much more speed, defense and could play CF if we needed him to and Vientos is probably a DH...maybe a 1B. So it's mainly about getting Canha back. 

Canha is a nice player, but you're taking back his salary and he steps in front of...Frelick? Or Mitchell? He doesn't hit lefties particularly well. You owe him 13.5. 

I agree, I definitely wouldn't give up Wiemer+ a prospects take back 13.5M.
Vientos is a nice player to take a flier on, but he's likely DH or OFer. Almost certainly not a 3B. It's certainly a useful package, but I think we come out behind.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:02 PM, Devinep said:

Don't think anyone believes Wiemer's the next Trout, just that some don't believe it's worth giving up Wiemer plus a prospect or prospects while taking back money and NOT actually getting a 3B. 

If you want to use that BTV site, again, Tyrone Taylor has similar value to Wiemer(or he did last I checked). That size is not great for measuring prospect value. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:55 AM, UpandIn said:

Well...Wiemer's is lower than Vientos and Wiemer has much more speed, defense and could play CF if we needed him to and Vientos is probably a DH...maybe a 1B. So it's mainly about getting Canha back. 

Canha is a nice player, but you're taking back his salary and he steps in front of...Frelick? Or Mitchell? He doesn't hit lefties particularly well. You owe him 13.5. 

I agree, I definitely wouldn't give up Wiemer+ a prospects take back 13.5M.
Vientos is a nice player to take a flier on, but he's likely DH or OFer. Almost certainly not a 3B. It's certainly a useful package, but I think we come out behind.

Don't think anyone believes Wiemer's the next Trout, just that some don't believe it's worth giving up Wiemer plus a prospect or prospects while taking back money and NOT actually getting a 3B. 

If you want to use that BTV site, again, Tyrone Taylor has similar value to Wiemer(or he did last I checked). That size is not great for measuring prospect value. 

Wiemer had a pretty close K rate to Vientos last year (26 to 28) and both have hit well so far. But yes Wiemer is a bette prospect because of D and baserunning. But that’s why they’d have to give up a pretty good hitter in Canha along with Vientos to get Wiemer. IMO this team needs one more hitter who has hit 2nd between Yelich and Winker or Rowdy and push all-or-nothing low-OBP Adames to 4th. That is one reason why my ideal target is Yandy Diaz. Like Canha, he could make room for prospects by playing More 1B/DH later this year. But Diaz could initially play 3B and Canha could play RF for a few weeks then call Up Frelick (or Turang in the case of Diaz). Between Frelick, Canha,  Yelich, Winker, and Mitchell, somebody will be hurt or playing badly, or they can just press around the playing time.

it’s funny we used the exact same comparison to show BTV as inaccurate. I mentioned how Wiemer and Taylor were similar value awhile back. That’s why o only cited it here after the fact as an addition that BTV feels the value is similar. I would never use that cite to determine if a trade was fair or not 

I don’t hate the idea of a Wiemer trade. He reminds me of Jay Bruce. Jay Bruce had a nice career but I’m not sure it’s what we need right now, The team batting average is too low I think. One issue though is that I think Wiemer might be slated to potentially play some RF for us in 2023. We don’t have many options there. We have 3-4 guys that could play there but Wiemer is the only one who actually has a RF grade bat and I think the best arm but not sure about the arm.

• Like 1
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.