Brewer Fanatic

What to do about 3rd Base ?

Looks like Turner is signing with the Red Sox, 2 years, just under 22 million.

We couldn't have done 2 years 23 or 24 million to lure him in?  

Who has a better shot at the playoffs, Boston or Milwaukee?

He simply wants to play in a large market, which is fine, but frustrating.

Now I see this, which is it?

According to Joon Lee and Jeff Passan of ESPN, the Red Sox have reached an agreement on a contract with free agent third baseman Justin Turner.

Jon Heyman of the New York Post adds that it'll be a $14 million deal for the 2023 season with an $8 million player option for the 2024 season. Considering the Red Sox already have Rafael Devers entrenched at third base -- and Triston Casas ready to take over full-time at first base -- expect the 38-year-old to see the bulk of his playing time in the designated hitter slot in the lineup.

Now this:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic confirms that the Red Sox agreement with Justin Turner is for one-year and $15 million guaranteed.

There had been conflicting reports as to the actual terms of the deal, but it sounds like Turner will get one year and $15 million if he does not exercise his player option for 2023 -- and two-years, $21.7 million in total if he exercises his option. Rosenthal also notes that Turner can earn up to an additional $1 million in incentives for plate appearances ($200,000 each for 480, 500, 520, 540 and 560) in 2023.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:36 PM, Hopper said:

I'm mildly ok with rolling with Urias at 3B full time, and not jerking him around the infield at a different position every other day if that means we are going to go with Turang at 2B, and let the kid play.

I have come to accept that we won't be able to pry Turner away from LA, even though I'm not 100% sold that he will be that great anyway.

Urias isn't sexy, but hopefully he can get the job done, and if not, we can get something cooking at the trade deadline for a legit 3B.

Now that Turner temptation is gone I will admit I'm more interested in Drury if the Brewers aren't going to spend on either Burnes, Woodruff, or Willy. Do you guys think he could be had for 10 mill a year for 2 years ? Age 30 can play both 3B and 1B. I'm looking for reasons not to, but ................

5 minutes ago, Jeff Meyer said:

Now that Turner temptation is gone I will admit I'm more interested in Drury if the Brewers aren't going to spend on either Burnes, Woodruff, or Willy. Do you guys think he could be had for 10 mill a year for 2 years ? Age 30 can play both 3B and 1B. I'm looking for reasons not to, but ................

Drury market is very active I guess... But I'm guessing he won't be in Milwaukee.

Brandon Drury:

18 HRs in 279PAs at Cincy, Colorado, and Arizona.  1 in 15.5 PAs

10HRs in 289 PAs everywhere else last season.   1 in 28.9PAs

For his career he has 79HRs.  0 at AmFam in 40PAs

38 of his HRs in career are from Az, Cincy, and Col. in 890 PAs  1 in 23.4 career.

41HRs everywhere else in 1,386 PAs.    1 in 33.8 in career..

Last season was a fluke season for him and he could just manage near 2.5WAR having it be so.  We already have a Brandon Drury named Mike Brosseau.   25.8 PAs per HR for his career.

Drury is redundant, just give Brosseau more playing time and he's matching or bettering the numbers Drury will put up next season if playing for Milw.

Unless we pull off a trade for improvement, there is nothing else position players still FAs that will improve the team. 

1 hour ago, Scooterfletcher said:

I’d rather sign Profar and use his versatility around the diamond than sign Drury.   Profar should be able to handle a bit of 3B at at least a league average rate.

Profar wouldn't sign here without a clear indication he was an everyday starter. Or taking a 4-5year contract.  He's 29, his next contract is a 1-2year prove it kind of deal for his next FA or something long enough for him to take in to retirement.  So that said, if I'm him Milwaukee isn't a destination for me with their current roster make up.  (trade away Urias or Turang I'd see that path to playing time)

I do see Houston rumors on Profar, which kinda odd looking at their roster.  1b/DH is a need so maybe he pulls up there and provides depth/platoon at 2b/SS for them.  Oh and looking at Profar's history he only has 89games played at 3b, so a SS/2b/util isn't a good matchup for the Brewers needs currently.

11 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

Here's a thought... anyone think Cam Devanney is worth a long look? He put up some darn good numbers last year between Biloxi and Nashville, bats right-handed, and has some positional versatility (SS/3B/2B).

Urias, Brosseau, Toro and maybe even Miller or Turang are already on the 40 man ahead of him as 3B options.

Cam will get a long look at Nashville, but I think he’s more of a Pablo Reyes/Mark Mathias type depth option at this point.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:36 PM, Hopper said:

I'm mildly ok with rolling with Urias at 3B full time, and not jerking him around the infield at a different position every other day if that means we are going to go with Turang at 2B, and let the kid play.

We're going to have an infield mob. Adames plays short. Urias plays third and second. Turang plays 2B and SS. Brosseau plays 3B and 1B. Toro plays all over. Miller plays 2B, 3B and 1B. whichever one makes the roster--one will not.

The more I read on Brian Anderson the more I want him as our 3B.... He's still a damn good player and I'm sure could be had for cheap... Anderson at 3B and Urias at 2b would strengthen this team.

Yelich

Adames

Winker

Contreras

Tellez

Anderson

Urias

Taylor

Mitchell

That is a contending lineup!

14 minutes ago, DR28 said:

The more I read on Brian Anderson the more I want him as our 3B.... He's still a damn good player and I'm sure could be had for cheap...

MLBTR projected him at $5.2M in Arby before he was non-tendered, so he should end up cheaper than Longoria anyway.

Pros for Anderson are he would presumably be cheaper, he’s younger and he can also handle RF in addition to 3B.

Cons are he’s been hurt/bad for two years now (93 wRC+ over 647 PA from 2021-22), and even when he was good from 2018-20 (115 wRC+ over 1419 PA) he carried slight reverse splits at 117 wRC+ vs RHP and 107 wRC+ vs LHP.

Longoria has been even more hurt than Anderson (only 589 PA from 2021-22), though he has hit when he’s been on the field with a 118 wRC+.

He has also crushed lefties to the tune of a 143 wRC+ over 267 PAs from 2020-22, though that means he prolly shouldn’t play much against RHP anymore with a 95 wRC+ over 531 PAs from 2020-22.

• Like 3

I was intrigued by McCutchen last year.  It didn't turn out great in the end, but at least it wasn't crazy money and it was only one year.

If they're going to add a "name" free agent for 3B, I'd rather see Longoria & his track record here on a reasonable 1-year deal than Drury (not a great pre-2022 track record at all) or Turner & his money (age 38 or 58 or whatever) for a couple years.

Rather than a 3B signing, another trade-out-of-nowhere move -- this time one that clearly improves 1B -- wouldn't totally surprise, not that I have any idea who that might mean coming in (or going out) in such a deal.

What I don't want to see is a dumb move or a move that's made just for the sake of making a move.  There's plenty of potential on-hand.  It just comes with question marks.  Making no move is probably better than making what's at best an uninspiring or lateral move.

• Like 1

What would it take to re-acquire him?

The Mets already hoped he'd be pushed out a little by Brett Baty coming through, so is he potentially 3rd choice now? In which case it really might not take a lot to get him, and the SH + 1B skills could be very handy indeed. Could be the perfect acquisition

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jakedood said:

What would it take to re-acquire him?

The Mets already hoped he'd be pushed out a little by Brett Baty coming through, so is he potentially 3rd choice now? In which case it really might not take a lot to get him, and the SH + 1B skills could be very handy indeed. Could be the perfect acquisition

And Baty is blocked now by Correa, unless they move Bay to OF... Maybe we look to acquire either Escobar or Baty.

Escobar definitely wont cost as much... I cant see the price on Escobar being steep.

22 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Yeah I wonder what the cost would be to acquire Baty now that he’s blocked for the next 12 years. What do the Mets still need if anything?

Starting pitching is still a need for them.  They have also been connected with Hendricks from the White Sox.

For Baty I think that would require Williams which I would be 100000000000% ok with.  If you trade a reliever and get back a stud like Baty sign me up.  I don’t care about losing someone like Williams if we are getting someone back like Baty.  The bullpen can be figured out through FA then.

• Like 1

Brett Baty, Drew Smith, Mark Vientos and Simon Juan for Devin Williams??? We get a 3rd baseman, solid reliever, 1st/3rd base/LF option, and a high end wild card.

I really am not a big fan of trading Williams after getting Contreras. However we could maybe turn Urias into another reliever and get close to making up for it. Say Urias and Brosseau to KC for Scott Barlow and a prospect?

Maybe just some younger prospects and we take back some $. Baty and Escobar for Tyler Black and Carlos Rodriguez (P). We take on 10 million and give up two good prospects to get an extremely good one. Mets save cash and get 2 pieces who could help in a couple years. I like this option better.

What about Pete Alonso/Jeff McNeil, Brett Baty, and David Peterson (plus a prospect) for Burnes and Rowdy/Urias granted there is probably no way Alonso or McNeil would be on the market, Alonso/McNeil/Lindor/Correa is probably the best infield in the league (maybe best in last 20 years or so).