Brewer Fanatic

What to do about 3rd Base ?

4 hours ago, LakeshoreLarry said:

Two players I'd like to see the Brewers trade for is Luis Arraez from the Twins and Anthony Santander from the Orioles.  Easier said than done of course but both are rumored to be available. Arraez would play 2B and then I'm okay with Urias at 3B and Turang as our super utility player. Owen Miller and Toro would be backup if Turang has problems with MLB pitching.  Arraez would be excellent top of the order hitter.  Santander would play RF and he is a switch hitter that hits left-handed pitching very well.  He would give us the production that we lost when we traded Renfroe and would probably hit in the 6th, 7th, or 8th spot.  I expect one of Lauer or Houser would have to be traded and probably Tyronne Taylor would also be included.  I'm sure prospects would also be included.

Realistically, Matt Arnold would have to pull off some magic again to get both players.  However, if possible, I believe that lineup along with the Brewer pitching would be very competitive for the NL Central title at a reasonable team salary.

Arraez is a terrible defender... He's 1B only.

• Like 1

If we get someone like Brian Anderson to play 3B, I'm totally fine moving Urias to 2B.

Anderson seems like a perfect fit on this team, gets on base and plays decent D... Give me Anderson's 2019 season all day.

Yelich

Adames

Winker

Contreras

Tellez

Anderson

Urias

Taylor

Mitchell

That is a contending lineup! And could be one of the best offense’s we’ve had in awhile!

7 hours ago, LakeshoreLarry said:

Two players I'd like to see the Brewers trade for is Luis Arraez from the Twins and Anthony Santander from the Orioles.  Easier said than done of course but both are rumored to be available. Arraez would play 2B and then I'm okay with Urias at 3B and Turang as our super utility player. Owen Miller and Toro would be backup if Turang has problems with MLB pitching.  Arraez would be excellent top of the order hitter.  Santander would play RF and he is a switch hitter that hits left-handed pitching very well.  He would give us the production that we lost when we traded Renfroe and would probably hit in the 6th, 7th, or 8th spot.  I expect one of Lauer or Houser would have to be traded and probably Tyronne Taylor would also be included.  I'm sure prospects would also be included.

Realistically, Matt Arnold would have to pull off some magic again to get both players.  However, if possible, I believe that lineup along with the Brewer pitching would be very competitive for the NL Central title at a reasonable team salary.

During my research for options at 3rd or 2nd both these guys came up as available. Both would be great young additions to the Brewer lineup. Now the issue of what you have to give to get. Arraez would be the most costly of the two.  So I’m asking all the Fanatic Trade Value Experts in our group to put together some “ realistic “ trade proposals.  What say you fellow Brewer Fanatics “ ? 

5 hours ago, wallus said:

I think the vast majority of people wanting a new third baseman has the idea of moving Urias to 2nd base....

This. Turner will certainly see starts at DH. Urias has 2b duties and 3b when Turner does so. The true reason to sign Turner is putting that veteran bat in the lineup that is above average since or before majority of the team was signed or drafted.

To the point on Steamer projectionthe poster above, that's major age related decline expectations. Less bat, less fielding, and less games played all tied in to what is projected that season. Sure that is likely true, but even at his age Turner's statcast batter profile is better than Urias and far better than Brosseau. 

I guess you need to compare where Steamer has Turang over Turner. That is who is losing some playing time(along with Brosseau) Does Steamer even project Turang for 350+PAs?

I'd also add, Turner could be traded mid-season if it had become apparent there wasn't a need on the team due to a Turang RoY type breakout. Maybe Winker and Yelich are breaking out and Turner DH games are spoken for.  Just the no doubt improves the lineup signing that you don't need to commit big dollars and 3 years or more to. 2 years goes hand in hand with how long you have Burnes, Woodruff. Adames, Tellez, Lauer, and Houser controlled for.

3 hours ago, Jeff Meyer said:

During my research for options at 3rd or 2nd both these guys came up as available. Both would be great young additions to the Brewer lineup. Now the issue of what you have to give to get. Arraez would be the most costly of the two.  So I’m asking all the Fanatic Trade Value Experts in our group to put together some “ realistic “ trade proposals.  What say you fellow Brewer Fanatics “ ? 

Sounded like the Twins were shopping Arraez around for starting pitching.

Burnes, Woodruff and Peralta aren’t going anywhere, then you have Lauer or Houser who aren’t enough of an upgrade to pique the Twins interest.

Something built around Ashby for Arraez is pretty close on the BTV site, though that’d be more of a gamble on upside from the Twins side where I’d imagine they’re looking for a little more certainty in return for Arraez.

Santander’s value is probably in the same range as Houser or Lauer, but not sure there’s a match there as we don’t really have the SP depth to trade Adrian or Eric and the Orioles don’t really have the OF depth to deal Anthony.

56 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Santander’s value is probably in the same range as Houser or Lauer, but not sure there’s a match there as we don’t really have the SP depth to trade Adrian or Eric and the Orioles don’t really have the OF depth to deal Anthony.

If Baltimore trades an OF it is probably Mullins for Lopez from the Marlins.  

On 12/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, Jopal78 said:

Sure he’s just 25, but he has a lot of MLB experience including the last three years in Milwaukee and parts of a couple seasons in San Diego.

Admittedly,  any player can work on their game and improve, but unless you mean he’s going to pack on 20 lbs of muscle he’s probably very close to his ceiling as a .330/.420 player. 

There are players whose performance peaks at 24 years old, but most peak around age 27. Some much later. Stop being a hater.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

one must look at the history to get a full perspective. How many mega contracts have the Dodgers given out recently to players from outside their organization? 

Bauer and Freeman. And in both cases each player just won the top award for their position.  Bauer the Cy Young and Freeman the MVP. Also, Freeman is deferring a ton of money into the future so they’re only paying him 20 million per year now and it drops down to 15 million in 2025 giving the Dodgers plenty of flexibility. 

Just because LA runs a huge payroll doesn’t mean they’re the Phillies or Mets building nearly half a team with high priced free agents. 

I've looked at the History. 
Mookie Betts? Outside the organization. 

Made massive offers to Machado and matched Greinke's offer to AZ. 

Freeman had won the award two years prior during a 60 game season.
I'm not sure what to say to the "Just because LA runs a huge payroll doesn't mean they're the Phillies or the Mets building nearly half a team with high price FAs."

They've consistently spent more than anyone in baseball over the last 7-8 years. They're trying to re-set their competitive balance tax and they're also coming off a 270M dollar payroll that could balloon up past the Cohen tax if they have to pay for Bauer the last two years. 

I don't know what history you're talking about. They spend nearly 300M a year and now they're letting their top FAs leave without making competitive offers and are about 150 below the Mets in payroll. This has nothing to do with their history. This is an outlier. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tmwiese55 said:

Seems to me the Dodgers are being cheap, relatively of course, this year to get under the tax in order to give a mega deal to Ohtani next year.  Basically choice of give out one of the ridiculous SS contracts now or give out a bit more next year for a P and hitter in one. Getting under the tax one year will save them tons of money down the line.   That said, I'm still surprised they let Trea Turner go and that they didn't just sign both a SS and Ohtani and pay out the tax. 

Yeah...they could go out and sign Ohtani and Devers next year as Free Agents. Though I'm not a big believe in Ohtani over the long term, but they certainly appear to be making a concerted effort to re-set the tax.

11 hours ago, wallus said:

I think the vast majority of people wanting a new third baseman has the idea of moving Urias to 2nd base....

I like the idea of adding Turner, I just wouldn't count on him to be a full time 3B.

3B/1B/DH would be a good fit for him. But at 38, it's not worth big money. 

6 hours ago, brewmann04 said:

Sign Drury 

He was solid last year...2.6 WAR.

His CAREER WAR going back to 2015 is 2.1 total.

So he's been a negative player throughout his career. Not sure I want to trust him unless it's at a cut rate price. 

A solid RHed bat for LHPing. 

4 hours ago, UpandIn said:

I've looked at the History. 
Mookie Betts? Outside the organization. 

Made massive offers to Machado and matched Greinke's offer to AZ. 

Freeman had won the award two years prior during a 60 game season.
I'm not sure what to say to the "Just because LA runs a huge payroll doesn't mean they're the Phillies or the Mets building nearly half a team with high price FAs."

They've consistently spent more than anyone in baseball over the last 7-8 years. They're trying to re-set their competitive balance tax and they're also coming off a 270M dollar payroll that could balloon up past the Cohen tax if they have to pay for Bauer the last two years. 

I don't know what history you're talking about. They spend nearly 300M a year and now they're letting their top FAs leave without making competitive offers and are about 150 below the Mets in payroll. This has nothing to do with their history. This is an outlier. 

You need to read more carefully. Betts had already been a Dodger for months when he was extended. 

Facts are facts, the Dodgers do spend a lot of money but it’s on their own guys and they do not typically run wild signing top price free agents.

Other than those two previously mentioned LA’s free agent spending is typically on bullpen arms and bargain buys: Tyler Anderson, Andrew Heaney, Syndergaard etc.

The 4th largest free agent contract ever doled out by the Dodgers is still the one given to Kevin Brown and he hasn’t pitched in the majors in 17 years.

They very well may be trying to get their luxury tax situation under control, but anyone expecting them to have gone hog wild for free agents hasn’t been paying attention. 

The Urias of 2021-2022 is not a horrible option at third base. He has some right-handed power (39 HR over 269 games - or about one and two-thirds of a season), and provides 25 doubles and 23 HRs per 162 games, and very good OBP skills. Could the Brewers get someone better? Perhaps, but at what cost? Would it cost Frelick/Mitchell/Wiemer - or worse? The chance to extend Burnes/Woodruff/Adames?

Urias fills a lot of the needs the Brewers have: RH power bat, third base, 111 OPS+. I'd say have him as primary 3B with Brousseau/Toro backing up.

• Like 1

I'm mildly ok with rolling with Urias at 3B full time, and not jerking him around the infield at a different position every other day if that means we are going to go with Turang at 2B, and let the kid play.

I have come to accept that we won't be able to pry Turner away from LA, even though I'm not 100% sold that he will be that great anyway.

Urias isn't sexy, but hopefully he can get the job done, and if not, we can get something cooking at the trade deadline for a legit 3B.

Honestly, the bullpen is more of a priority at this point than 3B. They can be opportunistic, but they don't have to go out and be stupid by signing Drury to a 3-4 year contract...Urias is a fine 3Bman. 

If the Red Sox make Devers available, then that's a different story...

• Like 1

What if we think outside the box a little bit, and keep Urias at 3B, and get a clear upgrade at 2B? I have someone in mind.  He is a buy-low candidate who has mashed throughout the minors and in one MLB season. He struggled after that but seemed to find something last year.  A bit challenged defensively, but with the shift ban he might benefit from "regular" throws to 1B.  He could solidify the position and become a middle-of-the-order masher, and as pre-arb he would be an almost-free upgrade. 

What would it take for the Brewers to get Keston Hiura?  

Oh wait...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

You need to read more carefully. Betts had already been a Dodger for months when he was extended. 

Facts are facts, the Dodgers do spend a lot of money but it’s on their own guys and they do not typically run wild signing top price free agents.

Other than those two previously mentioned LA’s free agent spending is typically on bullpen arms and bargain buys: Tyler Anderson, Andrew Heaney, Syndergaard etc.

The 4th largest free agent contract ever doled out by the Dodgers is still the one given to Kevin Brown and he hasn’t pitched in the majors in 17 years.

They very well may be trying to get their luxury tax situation under control, but anyone expecting them to have gone hog wild for free agents hasn’t been paying attention. 

I read it closely. It's just...usual contrarian nonsense(which you pride yourself on). You're the one who made this exclusively about outside FAs while they lost Trea Turner, Anderson and others. 

Betts had been with the Dodgers for months before signing. He'd been negotiating that extension since before he played a game with them.

Trea Turner had been with the team for a while. No offer made. It's an outlier...for anyone who's "paying attention."

A 111 win team that may generate more revenue than any other team in MLB has gotten appreciably worse and not spent money this off-season.

Anyone expecting this is probably being more than a little dishonest and pretending it's inline with their history. 

I mean...they DID make an offer to Judge this year, but, again...outlier. 

17 minutes ago, SandyTolan said:

What if we think outside the box a little bit, and keep Urias at 3B, and get a clear upgrade at 2B? I have someone in mind.  He is a buy-low candidate who has mashed throughout the minors and in one MLB season. He struggled after that but seemed to find something last year.  A bit challenged defensively, but with the shift ban he might benefit from "regular" throws to 1B.  He could solidify the position and become a middle-of-the-order masher, and as pre-arb he would be an almost-free upgrade. 

What would it take for the Brewers to get Keston Hiura?  

Oh wait...

I love Hiura. He's NOT a clear upgrade. 

The shift is going to make defense at 2B far MORE important, not less. It's only going to hurt him defensively. And we've also got Brice Turang, an elite defender who's performed well. 

Hiura is a DH/1B who...might be able to play some 2B next year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UpandIn said:

I read it closely. It's just...usual contrarian nonsense(which you pride yourself on). You're the one who made this exclusively about outside FAs while they lost Trea Turner, Anderson and others. 

Betts had been with the Dodgers for months before signing. He'd been negotiating that extension since before he played a game with them.

Trea Turner had been with the team for a while. No offer made. It's an outlier...for anyone who's "paying attention."

A 111 win team that may generate more revenue than any other team in MLB has gotten appreciably worse and not spent money this off-season.

Anyone expecting this is probably being more than a little dishonest and pretending it's inline with their history. 

I mean...they DID make an offer to Judge this year, but, again...outlier. 

Trea Turner’s OBP and SLG have gone down each year since his “mythical age 27 season”.  Some teams might think it wise to decline handing out a 10 year contract to a player with those trends, but what do I know?

8 hours ago, Jopal78 said:

Trea Turner’s OBP and SLG have gone down each year since his “mythical age 27 season”.  Some teams might think it wise to decline handing out a 10 year contract to a player with those trends, but what do I know?

LOL..."every year." So...two years since a 60 game schedule. And yes, their ONLY option with 1.5 years of team control was to offer him the exact contract he'd eventually get in free agency! They couldn't have done something crazy and made an OFFER to him prior to that!

And what do you know? How to consistently change your argument I guess?

Whatever....I don't know how to make you go away, so sure. The Dodgers spending this off-season is RIGHT in line with their usual spending...

And you're absolutely right, they don't go after FAs...except when they do. And they sign their own players...except when they don't!