Brewer Fanatic

What to do about 3rd Base ?

Now that we have upgraded catcher and designated hitter, what do we do about the third base situation. Since we are not going to trade Burnes, Woodruff, or Adames it looks like a trade for an existing developing or veteran third baseman or signing a Free Agent are the two possibilities.

While I like Urias as a utility player, I am not sold on him as a third baseman. His defense is not as good there as it is at either second base or shortstop.

Justin Turner is picking up steam but I’m worried about the cost, his age, and what looks like declining offensive numbers. I would prefer Brandon Drury instead.

On the trade front I’ve been partial to Yandy Diaz a high average reasonable power guy, he is older but he is under club control through 2024. I would think he could be had for a reasonable trade package.

What say you my fellow Brewer Fanatics?

Looking for other options here. 

• Like 1

I would think they would be interested in one of our four young outfielders or a starting pitcher. I’m reluctant to part with young OF’s but that is where our depth is. Maybe Lauer on the SP end. I would like to see if Huira, Taylor or Ethan Small would move the needle at all ? Your thoughts ?

Urias is a MUCH better 3B than a SS, and the numbers back that up. I expect some type of combination of Urias, Toro, Brosseau and Turang to man the hot corner and 2B this year. It would certainly be nice to have more of an everyday type guy at those spots, but I don't know if that is in the cards. 

• Like 3

It feels like we've been asking this same question for years now but I think the Brewers genuinely like Urias at 3B with Brosseau and whoever else backing him up.  I have to agree with Ron Robinsons Beard that acquiring an elite or close to elite 3B might just not be in the cards right now.

• Like 1

Any chance the Jays would trade Matt Chapman, he has 1 year left and the have Santiago Espinal, Whit Merrifield, and Cavan Biggio for 2B (and to cover 3rd). I know the Jays are looking for offense upgrades and trading Chapman doesn't make a ton of sense unless you know you aren't going to resign him. I wouldn't give up anyhing huge but Urias/Lauer and a mid level prospect for 1 year Chapman seem reasonable.

Career UZR/150 at 3B and Fangraphs projected offense for 2023:

• Luis Urias: +0.3 UZR/150, .326 wOBA, 110 wRC+
  • Justin Turner: -0.6 UZR/150 (trending down), .330 wOBA, 115 wRC+
  • Brandon Drury: -2.5 UZR/150, .317 wOBA, 105 wRC+
  • Brian Anderson: +0.3 UZR/150, .305 wOBA, 97 wRC+

I'm not against adding a guy and moving Urias to a super utility role, but I think people are greatly undervaluing Urias, who is quite good and has shown signs of being even better.

• Like 4

If we trade Lauer, what is the plan to replace him?  I see his name come up often, like we can just trade him and everything will be fine.  That scares me.

I like the idea of Turner even if we have to pay him, because it will be a short term deal.  Pay him 15 million per season for two years and then we can walk away.

Diaz is not a good 3B, and his defense would have the board flipping out by the 2nd week of the season.  Paying prospects for a light hitting 3B who can't field would be stupid.  I'd rather have Urias there than give away prospects for a guy like that.

• Like 1

I dont understand the not wanting Urias as our 3B... Dude is a good fielder, good hitter with power... Yea he's small in size but so is Mookie Betts.

with adding Winker and Contreras to the middle of our order, I'm good with Urias at 3B and Taylor in RF.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DR28 said:

I dont understand the not wanting Urias as our 3B... Dude is a good fielder, good hitter with power... Yea he's small in size but so is Mookie Betts.

with adding Winker and Contreras to the middle of our order, I'm good with Urias at 3B and Taylor in RF.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Urias is not the body type most think of when they think of a prototypical 3B. I think most want the Scott Rolen/Troy Glaus-type. You know, that big, beefy 6'4" guy who swings hard and hits dingers. The thing is, Urias has already proven that he can put up similar-type numbers, but in a much smaller package. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Urias is not the body type most think of when they think of a prototypical 3B. I think most want the Scott Rolen/Troy Glaus-type. You know, that big, beefy 6'4" guy who swings hard and hits dingers. The thing is, Urias has already proven that he can put up similar-type numbers, but in a much smaller package. 

Yep right! Urias had a great 2021 season... Dude is a 3 WAR player, not sure what else we want from our 3B... To acquire someone gonna cost $ or legit prospects.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DR28 said:

Do we want a guy who is a needle mover, a guy who is just good enough.

We already have guys who are good enough, but we need more guys (or a guy at 3B to make up for the good enough guys) that are needle movers.

It looks like we are going to see a few rookies this year, and anything can happen with them, but it's a risk.

Some are saying that Tyrone Taylor is good enough to play full time in RF.  That just isn't going to cut it when you add him to the other good enough guys.

We don't know what kind of offense we are going to get from CF RF or 2B if Turang is our guy.  We know Rowdy is just good enough.  Yelich, I suppose good enough.

We pretty much know what we have in Adames and Contreras, right?  Is what we have seen from Urias going to be a difference maker, or just a place holder for a guy we hope to get at the deadline or next off season?

Still a lot of questions for this line-up, and adding Contreras was huge, but it just wasn't enough.

17 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Do we want a guy who is a needle mover, a guy who is just good enough.

We already have guys who are good enough, but we need more guys (or a guy at 3B to make up for the good enough guys) that are needle movers.

It looks like we are going to see a few rookies this year, and anything can happen with them, but it's a risk.

Some are saying that Tyrone Taylor is good enough to play full time in RF.  That just isn't going to cut it when you add him to the other good enough guys.

We don't know what kind of offense we are going to get from CF RF or 2B if Turang is our guy.  We know Rowdy is just good enough.  Yelich, I suppose good enough.

We pretty much know what we have in Adames and Contreras, right?  Is what we have seen from Urias going to be a difference maker, or just a place holder for a guy we hope to get at the deadline or next off season?

Still a lot of questions for this line-up, and adding Contreras was huge, but it just wasn't enough.

Who is a justifiable "get" at 3B who would fall into that "needle mover" status, if Urias is not that type of player? I personally don't think any of the free agent 3B out there are a big enough upgrade over Urias at 3B, Turang at 2B to justify the move. Maybe Arnold has another crazy trade up his sleeve? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Who is a justifiable "get" at 3B who would fall into that "needle mover" status, if Urias is not that type of player? I personally don't think any of the free agent 3B out there are a big enough upgrade over Urias at 3B, Turang at 2B to justify the move. Maybe Arnold has another crazy trae up his sleeve? 

Well said, I dont see who either... If we add more... Give me Wil Myers to play RF... Again I'm totally good with Urias as our 3B and I believe in Turang at 2B.

1 hour ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Who is a justifiable "get" at 3B who would fall into that "needle mover" status, if Urias is not that type of player? I personally don't think any of the free agent 3B out there are a big enough upgrade over Urias at 3B, Turang at 2B to justify the move. Maybe Arnold has another crazy trade up his sleeve? 

That is what I'm hoping.

I don't think there are any needle mover 3B out there as free agents, which is why I am still expecting some MA magic via trade.

I'm still fine bringing in Turner, but my gut tells me he is playing games with us again, and he won't be a Brewer in 2023 unless the Dodgers just out and out have no interest any longer.  Is he a needle mover?  Who really knows at this point?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
3 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I don't think there are any needle mover 3B out there as free agents, which is why I am still expecting some MA magic via trade.

I'm still fine bringing in Turner, but my gut tells me he is playing games with us again, and he won't be a Brewer in 2023 unless the Dodgers just out and out have no interest any longer.  Is he a needle mover?  Who really knows at this point?

I agree here. I don't think Turner really wants to be here. Just like last time. I'm guessing he ends up back in LA.

That said, I'd probably take Turner over Drury. While Turner is aging, I think he still has some gas left in the tank. I just don't trust Drury. His production has been so erratic. But that's for the front office evaluators to figure out. Not me.

• Like 1

Me wanting someone different has nothing to do with not believing in Urias. It is more to be a hedge against all of the rookies we will have playing significant roles. If we get someone like Turner/Drury, that helps hedge 3rd base, 2nd base, 1st base and DH. Contending teams very rarely have 2-3 rookies being every day players. 

Of those guys I'm guessing Myers will be the most realistic because I'm guessing he won't be as much money.  He's RH so can give some cover to all the lefty OFs and two lefty 1B/DH.    As much as I can obviously see the need for a more established 2b/3B to move Turang to utility I can see greater value in a generally stable RH bat in those other positions and I think he'll cost less (obviously the market is crazy so what do I know on that, but that's my guess). 

• Like 1

I am only interested with Justin Turner at 3B.  I blieve Urias is better than anyone else.

Does Edwin Rios have an option left?  If so, I wouldn't mind signing him and sticking him in the minors this year.  He has always intrigued me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR28 said:

Our offense is MUCH improved with the additions of Winker and Contreras.

I wasn't talking about those guys, I'm talking about keeping Urias as our starting 3B, and Turang playing 2B (which I am on board with by the way)

• Like 1

So with the trade just announced for Owen Miller from the Guardians a few things occurred to me. 

The Brewers seem fine with mixing and matching 2nd Base and 3rd base this year with combinations of the following :

Returning Luis Urias and Mike Brosseau, Promoted Brice Turang, and Obtained Abraham Toro and Owen Miller and whoever else they may find before opening day. They appear to want to hold the line on spending not because Mark A is cheap on the contarary I think they would like to extend one of Burnes / Woodruff and or Willy. Paying 12 mill to 18 mill a year on Turner or Drury just doesnt help them retain the young pitchers we have developed and Willy who is a blossoming star.

• Like 1