Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Correa to Giants - 13 (not a typo) years, $350 million

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
  • Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Good for Correa on getting paid.  I don't think it's an excessive contract if you just think about it as $350M for the rest of his career.  Maybe they made it 13 years to get the AAV down, thinking they could cut him after 10 or 11 years.

In the end, he's still getting $350M.

Just now, JimH5 said:

Good for Correa on getting paid.  I don't think it's an excessive contract if you just think about it as $350M for the rest of his career.  Maybe they made it 13 years to get the AAV down, thinking they could cut him after 10 or 11 years.

In the end, he's still getting $350M.

Correa did have the huge benefit of hitting FA going into his 28 year old season. That is rare and leaves a ton of prime years left. Not shockingly, he got paid bucks over it.

• Like 1

From 35.1 Mil with Twins he took a 26.9 Mil AAV for 13 years.  Kinda shortchanged yourself there didn't ya?.

11yrs about 280  about 25.5 Mil a year is about what we opted out 2yrs early to sign for?  2 years and he's probably signing for 10years 310-320 to end his career.  So about 40mil-50mil when his career ends he discounted.

Community Moderator
30 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

From 35.1 Mil with Twins he took a 26.9 Mil AAV for 13 years.  Kinda shortchanged yourself there didn't ya?.

11yrs about 280  about 25.5 Mil a year is about what we opted out 2yrs early to sign for?  2 years and he's probably signing for 10years 310-320 to end his career.  So about 40mil-50mil when his career ends he discounted.

He got 385 M after opting out, presumably last season he was getting offers in the 300 M range. So he did quite well for himself. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

I'm pretty pissed off at the Twins front office right now. I'll just leave it at that.

Not trying to be a jerk here at all, but you would have been ok with that sort of a contract?  Or is it something else you're pissed at?

4 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Not trying to be a jerk here at all, but you would have been ok with that sort of a contract?  Or is it something else you're pissed at?

Maybe that contract is too long and expensive but the Twins have about 50 MILLION to spend right now and if they were scared of Correa's price tag, they needed to spend that money elsewhere *two weeks ago*. The remaining options on the table are less than inspiring, to put it mildly.

And to add insult to injury, earlier in the offseason they did stuff like trade Gio Urshela for a low minors prospect to clear even more money on payroll.

I guess that if the Brewers sign Chourio to a 13-year deal the day he steps on a MLB field that would take him into his early 30's, it might be okay. I really hope the Brewers never sign a 13-year deal to someone who is already past his arby/pre-arby years.

I get what teams are doing. They're staying under the luxury tax cap by signing lower AAV deals, expecting to cut the player long before the end of the deal, but that's not something the Brewers should be doing. It hurts to have 1/4 of payroll going to someone who is still an above-average player. I can't imagine having that anchor on payroll for several years for someone who's not even playing.

It hurts the Brewers that they can't do this, and it hurts the Brewers because it helps teams avoid the luxury tax/revenue sharing that helps the Brewers "remain competitive" revenue-wise.

• Like 2

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

8 minutes ago, monty57 said:

I guess that if the Brewers sign Chourio to a 13-year deal the day he steps on a MLB field that would take him into his early 30's, it might be okay. I really hope the Brewers never sign a 13-year deal to someone who is already past his arby/pre-arby years.

I would absolutely be in favor of the Brewers doing exactly this.

• Like 2

MLB teams are taking a page out of the NFL salary cap playbook. I think they fully expect the last 3-4 years on these 10-13 year deals to be "dead money." They just want to flatten the AAV to help with yearly luxury tax hits until they have to deal with the dead money years.

It's the typical rob Peter (the future) to pay Paul (the present). Sadly this fiscal policy is used all too often in other aspects of life...

• Like 2

Community Moderator
1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Maybe that contract is too long and expensive but the Twins have about 50 MILLION to spend right now and if they were scared of Correa's price tag, they needed to spend that money elsewhere *two weeks ago*. The remaining options on the table are less than inspiring, to put it mildly.

And to add insult to injury, earlier in the offseason they did stuff like trade Gio Urshela for a low minors prospect to clear even more money on payroll.

I think there are a number of mid-market fan bases that are absolutely losing their minds right now. Mariners fans are quite angry about the decision to not add payroll, even if it was probably the right call. The Twins seem to be thinking about tanking but are kind of in limbo right now???

The Brewers fan side of me thinks it's kind of nice to have more baseball fans feel the pain of being poor. It doesn't feel good to have zero chance at signing any of the best baseball players, does it??? Or even worse, to know your ownership group is simply pocketing the profits.

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
2 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Jim Rich on Fox 9 is going to be in his "the sky is falling" mode again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

What's funny is that the Brewers have spent a big fat zero on FA so far.  The Twins have at least spent some money although the Brewers have been pretty active on the trade front.

1 minute ago, wibadgers23 said:

What's funny is that the Brewers have spent a big fat zero on FA so far.  The Twins have at least spent some money although the Brewers have been pretty active on the trade front.

The Brewers have had a better off-season thus far, in my opinion. That Contreras trade was fantastic. 

• Like 2

Apparently Mets were a late entry to the Correa sweepstakes and were among the under bidders with an offer around $300M.

Some of Cohen’s quotes are seriously just too rich (punintentional)…

My team is good.  But it isn’t that much better than last year.  If you want a team that’s good, this is what it costs.  What are you going to do? 

I’ve been dealing with big numbers for so long these numbers don’t scare me at all.  It’s not like I’m not respectful about what these other teams have to deal with.”

On 12/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, wibadgers23 said:

I also don't view the absence of FA spending as a deficit.  The key is to make moves in an effort to improve the club, which they've done, just solely via trades so far.

It seems obvious that some kind of signing will happen,* but I'm expecting it to be a BP addition (or two) that's "Boxberger-ish" in magnitude (quietly solid even if seemingly unspectacular)... although bringing in a proven IF bat also seems feasible.

(*To me, Blake Perkins & his MLB contract doesn't count since he's not yet played in the bigs.)