Brewer Fanatic

Proposal: Sign Narvaez to one-year “re-set” contract & trade Caratini

I love the addition of William Contreras to the lineup as our primary C & occasional DH

I’d like to propose that Milwaukee re-sign Omar Narvaez to one-year “re-set” contract & trade Victor Caratini for prospects 

Narvaez is a much better hitter than he showed last year … he could be a mentor (pitch-framing) to Contreras this season

I believe Narvaez could rebound & provide a nice LH option at catcher to spell the younger Contreras - improving his value as a free-agent in 2024

While Caratini is a switch-hitter, he could be dealt for prospects or a potential RH bat to a catcher needy team

Thoughts?

I doubt the Brewers would want to invest the money. They have been looking to cut costs all offseason.

Plus, it would likely be better spent on 3B or bullpen help. 

Instead, I'm actually curius to see if the Brewers unload Caratini and his $3 million salary and roll with Peyton Henry as the backup catcher. 

• Like 1

Narveaz and Caratini are to similar to make much difference. I would say if you can sign Omar to a 3-4 million dollar deal and get a mid-level prospect for Caratini this does make sense. However I would guess Narveaz get around the 1/6 that Zunino just got and Caratini gets almost nothing in a trade, so pass because Omar isn't worth the 3ish million extra.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wildcat2237 said:

I doubt the Brewers would want to invest the money. They have been looking to cut costs all offseason.

Plus, it would likely be better spent on 3B or bullpen help. 

Instead, I'm actually curius to see if the Brewers unload Caratini and his $3 million salary and roll with Peyton Henry as the backup catcher. 

I love Peyton Henry … I was sad when we dealt him to Miami

I prefer a LH backup C - that’s my thinking with Narvaez

I would think Narvaez would be better than Caratini & could be signed for $3M on the one year “re-set” deal 

The benefit to Narvaez - if the same salary as Caratini - would be trading for a prospect or RH bat

1 minute ago, edfunderburk said:

I love Peyton Henry … I was sad when we dealt him to Miami

I prefer a LH backup C - that’s my thinking with Narvaez

I would think Narvaez would be better than Caratini & could be signed for $3M on the one year “re-set” deal 

The benefit to Narvaez - if the same salary as Caratini - would be trading for a prospect or RH bat

IMHO Narvaez has a much higher upside than Caratini. If he really could be had for $3 million, and Catatini could really be traded for a bag of balls, then Im all in. 

I just dont think you get Narvaez for $3 million and then I doubt your able to easily trade Caratini. Plus, I bet Narvaez wants to start, so I doubt he gives a discount to be a backup in MIL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat2237 said:

IMHO Narvaez has a much higher upside than Caratini. If he really could be had for $3 million, and Catatini could really be traded for a bag of balls, then Im all in. 

I just dont think you get Narvaez for $3 million and then I doubt your able to easily trade Caratini. Plus, I bet Narvaez wants to start, so I doubt he gives a discount to be a backup in MIL. 

I believe he could split time with Contreras & allow Contreras to DH some - especially with uncertainty on Winker’s health … no guarantee that Winker will be healthy & ready to play by Opening Day

1 hour ago, wildcat2237 said:

Narvaez to Mets on a one year, $8 million deal. It also includes a $7 million player option for 2024. So about $15 million in guaranteed money for an average catcher. No way he was signing here on a 1 year, $3 million deal to be a backup. 

Yeah 3 million for Omar in this market is just not realistic at all.