Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner The last piece to 2023 batting roster

Winker, Contreras, the next man up is Justin Turner.  Compared him on statcast to Brandon Drury, and Turner's worst xBA is better than Drury's best xBA.  Drury's happened his rookie season.  Turner's happened last season.  Turner is also a tick better at 3b defensively while being better offensively.  Looks like projected 9-10Mil for Turner vs in the 7s for Drury.  Urias and Turang would make Drury's versatility less useful.  Sign him to a 2year deal with a 3rd yr option(to stash some buyout to even out the 2 years you do have him signed for)   2/24 with a 12mil option(4mil buyout)  He'd make 10mil each the next two seasons.  Potential to make 3/32 overall.

Turner can DH games you're not using a Yelich or Winker for(say vs a LH Starter) and obvious 3b Starts. Urias has the 3b/2b flex  Turang becomes straight Utility which does have OF game experiences in the minors.

I'm not sure how Hiura remains on the team after doing this signing.  Send him to Pittsburgh for any kind of Arm that has any potential.

• Like 2

I like Justin Turner but at 38, I would want him for a 1+1 deal. Maybe something like 2 years, 26 million with a mutual option for year 2 with a 3 million dollar buyout. My worry with Turner is that his home run power dropped dramatically last season.

I think Drury might be a decent plan B however. He is younger and has been good the last 2 seasons. I am not a huge fan of his defense but we should be strong pretty much everywhere but 1st base. MLB Trade Rumors has him at 2 years and 18 million which doesn't seem terrible with all of the signings that have taken place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wallus said:

I like Justin Turner but at 38, I would want him for a 1+1 deal. Maybe something like 2 years, 26 million with a mutual option for year 2 with a 3 million dollar buyout. My worry with Turner is that his home run power dropped dramatically last season.

I think Drury might be a decent plan B however. He is younger and has been good the last 2 seasons. I am not a huge fan of his defense but we should be strong pretty much everywhere but 1st base. MLB Trade Rumors has him at 2 years and 18 million which doesn't seem terrible with all of the signings that have taken place.

FWIW Drury had a +4.1 expected HRs last season and Turner -1.4

Milw park expected HRs Drury dropped to 25 while Turner increased to 20.

20 of Drury's 28HRs came at HR favorables Cincy, Col, and Ari majority. And yet he would have had 3 taken away at AmFam vs the 7 gained by Turner.  

Consider that and the fact Turner now has 9 straight seasons of 116 or higher OPS+ 8 of 9 with .350 OB or higher. Drury Hovers around .300-310.

For 1-3M more a season Turner has much more a sure thing than Drury brings. I'd feel different if say Turner commanded 5M or more than Drury. Or asking for 3years guaranteed.  Turner is just better and the age would be the only reason he could reasonably sign with Milw(unlike 2 years ago when we discussed Turner for FA signing)

I believe Milwaukee is close to completing its 26-man roster for 2023

I propose adding veteran Justin Turner on a two-year contract (maybe $25M) to serve as the primary 3B & backup 1B who could also DH on occasion

His experience as a World Series champion would be a boost to a young Milwaukee team

His proven RH bat would balance a LH-heavy lineup & help replace Hunter Renfroe’s solid RH bat

Adding Turner would allow Urius to become our utility IF & would allow the Brewers to ease Turang into the majors  

I’m a bit weary of Drury & I’m hesitant to send prospects to Tampa for Yandy Diaz

I’d be thrilled for Milwaukee to add Turner to the current lineup which allows us to keep all our pitching & prospects

Thoughts?

Like the last time he was a free agent, I don't think Turner has any real intention of playing anywhere else (He's 38,  from LA, still lives in LA, and has played for LA for nearly a decade). My bet is he is waiting until Los Angeles makes their other moves then comes back to him with what they're willing to pay him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jopal78 said:

Like the last time he was a free agent, I don't think Turner has any real intention of playing anywhere else (He's 38,  from LA, still lives in LA, and has played for LA for nearly a decade). My bet is he is waiting until Los Angeles makes their other moves then comes back to him with what they're willing to pay him.

Dodgers offseason is mostly on hold until they find out what is happening with all that Bauer money.

If they have to pay Trevor back, Turner's odds of signing elsewhere increase pretty notably I would imagine depending on how eager the Dodgers are or aren't to stay under the luxury tax line.

If the arbiter rules in the Dodgers favor they'll have plenty of cash to bring back Turner and spend elsewhere while still staying under the luxury tax. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Winker, Contreras, the next man up is Justin Turner.  Compared him on statcast to Brandon Drury, and Turner's worst xBA is better than Drury's best xBA.  Drury's happened his rookie season.  Turner's happened last season.  Turner is also a tick better at 3b defensively while being better offensively.  Looks like projected 9-10Mil for Turner vs in the 7s for Drury.  Urias and Turang would make Drury's versatility less useful.  Sign him to a 2year deal with a 3rd yr option(to stash some buyout to even out the 2 years you do have him signed for)   2/24 with a 12mil option(4mil buyout)  He'd make 10mil each the next two seasons.  Potential to make 3/32 overall.

Turner can DH games you're not using a Yelich or Winker for(say vs a LH Starter) and obvious 3b Starts. Urias has the 3b/2b flex  Turang becomes straight Utility which does have OF game experiences in the minors.

I'm not sure how Hiura remains on the team after doing this signing.  Send him to Pittsburgh for any kind of Arm that has any potential.

The thing I'd love is that he could play first against lefties.

This is one of my bigger priorities right now.  A RH bat that can play 1b for 50 games a year.

Rowdy was pretty terrible against lefties last year and not great for his career.

Turner has a mild reverse split for his career, but still .818 vs LHP.

He's the perfect fit.  Urias/Turang platoon at 2B.  Urias can still play some 3b occasionally. 

Having said all of that, I'd be very surprised if he signed here.

Not me. I really don't want to see Rowdy v LHP this season.

I suppose Segura or Urias could play there.

I'm also all for giving Turang a good shot at real playing time.

I do understand being worried about Turner's last season and his age. 

13 minutes ago, brewmann04 said:

This sounds like the same scenario as last time he was a FA

Yep. Will come down to how keen he is on staying in LA. If it's LA at all costs, to the point where he is content with a reduced salary and ceding playing time to Miguel Vargas, then there's nothing we can do. If he still wants to play everyday and doesn't want to take a sharp paycut, then we become a real option. 

• Like 1

Now that Carlos Carrasco has signed with SF, it looks like Brandon Crawford will play 3B, maybe platooning with JD Davis or David Villar.  I'd much rather have either of those guys if the price isn't too high.  Davis would be a great get, and at 9 years younger I think he'd more reliably rake for the Brewers.

1 hour ago, SandyTolan said:

Now that Carlos Carrasco has signed with SF, it looks like Brandon Crawford will play 3B, maybe platooning with JD Davis or David Villar.  I'd much rather have either of those guys if the price isn't too high.  Davis would be a great get, and at 9 years younger I think he'd more reliably rake for the Brewers.

You mean Carlos Correa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SandyTolan said:

I would have to assume JD will DH for them. He is below average defensively.