Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Reds Looking to Trade Infielder for Outfielder

monty57

Here's an article about the Reds being loaded with young infield prospect talent, and looking to trade for young OF prospect talent. 

I know that teams oftentimes don't want to do inter-division trades, especially prospect-for-prospect as that could end up looking bad for a long time. Other than that, this seems like a perfect scenario. Chourio and De La Cruz would be staying where they are, but this could be a swap of ready-to-contribute "Top 100" guys like a Mitchell-for-Marte type deal, a blocked MLB-ready prospect deal using Wiemer or Ruiz, or a lower minors deal like Lara-for-Acosta.

Both teams would be dealing from an area of depth for to an area of need. What are everyone's thoughts?

View full rumor

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I wouldnt mind Noelvi Marte and would probably stay away from Arroyo.

Mitchell/Ruiz and a 2nd prospect for Marte would work for me. I would guess that the Reds would demand Weimer or Frelich, which might work depending on secondary parts.

Ruiz and Black (or a1chose of P) for Marte

Mitchell and Hendry Mendez for Marte

Weimer and Carlos Rodriguez (of) for Marte 

Frelich for Marte straight up.

I think Arroyo or McLain would be who the Reds would be looking to trade.  Marte wouldn’t make any sense.  Marte probably has to move to 3B.  De La Cruz looks like he could play SS, 3B or CF.

I don’t think the Brewers and Reds matchup all that well in a trade.

Just now, nate82 said:

I think Arroyo or McLain would be who the Reds would be looking to trade.  Marte wouldn’t make any sense.  Marte probably has to move to 3B.  De La Cruz looks like he could play SS, 3B or CF.

I don’t think the Brewers and Reds matchup all that well in a trade.

Maybe Matt McClain and a smaller piece for Ruiz, McClain isn't my favorite prospect but it would work. I like Encarnacion-Strand as well maybe if the move a prospect to 3B CES could be an option and give us a powerhitting CI.

What about McClain and CES for Ruiz and Small. We get 2 bats for a mostly blocked OF and Small. Reds move IF for a high end OF who can start today and a 5th pitcher with some upside.

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I'd deal Ruiz in a heartbeat, but I'd keep Frelick, Mitchell, and Wiemer.

Wouldn't even allow them to mention the name Chourio.  lol

What makes Ruiz so much more expendable than Frelick and Mitchell (Wiemer is an outlier as more of a power threat)? Frelick, Mitchell and Ruiz all bring somewhat similar skillsets to the table, and all three can fly, but Ruiz has that calling-card of truly game-altering speed. 

Hey, I flipped this over to the FA rumors section. In the future, please use that tool to post rumors of this kind. It REALLY helps the site because the FA section is much more google-friendly and set up to be promoted on social media (and it posts to this forum so from a user aspect, there's no real change to its appearance).

Thanks!

Off topic but Reds related and mild rant.

Min rumor is open to a Sonnt Gray or Kenta Maeda trade.  I went over to check on Gray's stats because I've felt folks thought of him as a #2 near #1 but he produced #4 numbers.  Guess he had a decent couple seasons. Min acquired Gray from Cincy and I thought what did they give up? Min sent over their 1st rd selection in 2021 Chase Petty only. Sonny Gray is being paid 12+Mil this season which after Bassitt's FA deal must be 5mil savings Im thinking. So who's this Chase Petty a top 100 prospect I'm sure? Drafted out of HS 1st rd 2.5Mil signing. 70grade FB and 50s across the board. Pitched near 100innings last season below 4ERA good SO/BB rates.   Yet here he is #9 for Cincy top 30 prospects. And I'm thinking immediately had the Dodgers, Atl, Yankees, and Cardinals drafted Petty in 1st rd with 2.5M signing, he'd be between 50-80 overall once the list was updated after the draft. Probably top 30 now after his 22 season when preseason lists update.  Think Michael Kopech because he jad 100MPH velocity, that's what Petty has!  He just was drafted to wrong organization.

Just remember that name Petty as he'll be carving up Brewer hitters. For the deep fantasy baseball players out there you may want to stash or trade for him before mid-season passes.

Another case in point here maybe towards Ruiz giving back such a return. Petty brought back Gray + a minor leaguer.

(Oh I will say that the way Petty is progressing by prospect rankings is what I wish it were more like) Never liked a 1st rd choice immediately being added as top 25 or 50. 85-100 sure, but let's see a season played professionally before anointing them in upper tier of prospects. 1 bad immediate injury with a long recovery and now they are sitting in that spot with low if any games played. OK rant over.

On 12/14/2022 at 12:41 AM, Scooterfletcher said:

If you can deal Mitchell and Wiemer for De La Cruz alone,  do it. 

Man I'd think Chourio straight up may be a hard sell. What a stud in the making. Switch hitting SS/3b. Looks better via splits as a LHB than RHB so he has the platoon side you want for a switch hitter  really love the fact checking he faced 1 LHP as a LH bat and hit a HR off them. Like Chourio, all but 1 pitcher he faced last season was older than him.(every pitcher was for Chourio!)

Considering the OF prospects Mitchell, Frelick, and Wiemer, I'd certainly be willing to do that heads up trade involving Chourio.