Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Arnold says Brewers looking to improve at catcher

34 minutes ago, wntrtxn21 said:

I don't see Sanchez in any way.  2020; .147/.253/.618 OPS -- 2021: .204/.307/.730 OPS -- 2022: .205/.282/.659. He made $9M last year.  Aren't those numbers very similiar to the reason they dumped Narvaez? 

The idea is more in line that Sanchez is RH bat and in 2021 OPS over .900 vs Starters. 800+ vs LHs overall. Sat  just over 700OPS vs LH starters in 22.  

Also Narvaez hit a total 17HRs the 3 seasons in Milw.  Sanchez with 49 his last three.  I think when looking at the other mediocre C FAs Sanchez tops them on HR ability.  Statcast also has Sanchez top 10 Pop times to 2b and 3b every year in his career. That may help defend the new base size,  29% career caught stealing.  Looks about .1 seconds better than Narvaez aside from 2022 3b pop times where Narvaez had a career best only .01 from Sanchez. 

It's really tough on deciding the route you want to take. The FA route costs just money but you are getting -1 to 1WAR players.  Trading will cost you at least Mitchell grade and more prospects. While you improve at Catcher, the lost Mitchell + makes it feel lateral and possibly worse over the next 2seasons. You can just wait on Quero.  

I believe any trade for 1 of Toronto's Catchers will cost us 1 of the team's current SPs with the Mitchell grade prospect.  Catchers are that 70-125 games max behind the plate, is that approx 800 OPS  really important in your lineup?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Catchers are that 70-125 games max behind the plate, is that approx 800 OPS  really important in your lineup?

IMO no. But I tend to be much more in the "Defense first" camp than most people are when it comes to catchers, Catcher offense is really expensive, and a catcher strong both offensively and defensively even more so (Hence the, justified, sky high ask for Murphy). I'd then rather just platoon two defensively strong catchers and spend elsewhere. And wait for Quero. 

Although with that being said, I don't hate the idea of Vazquez for 2-3 years. Unless the current market has inflated the price beyond all reason, that is. 

On 12/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, DR28 said:

I agree but I just dont see us giving him 3-4 years, especially when big market teams are in on him as well.

Would love to add him, just dont see it happening.

I agree in that I don't see it happening but I think it will be the money, not the years.  I really do not see the problem in giving him 3/4 years.  We have high hopes for Jeferson but we don't really know yet.  Even if he is ready in two years is he really going to assume an every day role from the start?  Its more likely he splits time with someone.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave