Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Arnold says Brewers looking to improve at catcher

37 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

What I wonder about is if the Brewers just go for a rehab project like Sanchez instead of a real solution.

And maybe that's fine if they find real solutions at other positions but right now, the market is thinning in a big way for impact players.

This offseason is crystalizing in a much more rapid way than it has in the past... half decade? Longer.

The bolded is probably more likely.  I don't think they have any shot at Murphy, Jansen or Vasquez.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

What I wonder about is if the Brewers just go for a rehab project like Sanchez instead of a real solution.

And maybe that's fine if they find real solutions at other positions but right now, the market is thinning in a big way for impact players.

This offseason is crystalizing in a much more rapid way than it has in the past... half decade? Longer.

The bolded is probably more likely.  I don't think they have any shot at Murphy, Jansen or Vasquez.

30 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Wait, we've improved our pitching this off season?

We've pushed Jason Alexander further down the depth chart. It's hard to get a more proven veteran who could make starts when the Brewers are 6 deep in the rotation already, but improving that 7, 8, and 9 starter goes a long way to solving last year's problem.

30 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Wait, we've improved our pitching this off season?

We've pushed Jason Alexander further down the depth chart. It's hard to get a more proven veteran who could make starts when the Brewers are 6 deep in the rotation already, but improving that 7, 8, and 9 starter goes a long way to solving last year's problem.

Just now, Brewcrew82 said:

Box, sure. But Gott and Suter were literally replacement level pitchers last year....

Sure, but are the "depth" arms they have picked up even that?  Maybe, maybe not but it sure isn't a given.

Just now, Brewcrew82 said:

Box, sure. But Gott and Suter were literally replacement level pitchers last year....

Sure, but are the "depth" arms they have picked up even that?  Maybe, maybe not but it sure isn't a given.

12 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

It's a question. But this FO has earned the benefit of the doubt with their ability to identify pitching talent imo. 

Fair enough but the post I was responding to equivocally stated that the pitching depth and especially the rotation was better and deeper.  I don't think that is objectively true at this point.

12 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

It's a question. But this FO has earned the benefit of the doubt with their ability to identify pitching talent imo. 

Fair enough but the post I was responding to equivocally stated that the pitching depth and especially the rotation was better and deeper.  I don't think that is objectively true at this point.

Just now, 82brewcrew82 said:

Folks, there are certainly posters who are over the top with the twitter-esque negativity on this board.  There are also the equally over the top positivity crusaders.  Neither one is enjoyable.

I have concerns about the FO's strategy this offseason, but I also realize that it's December 8th and that there's four months until the season starts. Regardless, there is no place for calling someone what the above poster just called me. 

Just now, 82brewcrew82 said:

Folks, there are certainly posters who are over the top with the twitter-esque negativity on this board.  There are also the equally over the top positivity crusaders.  Neither one is enjoyable.

I have concerns about the FO's strategy this offseason, but I also realize that it's December 8th and that there's four months until the season starts. Regardless, there is no place for calling someone what the above poster just called me. 

4 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

You aren't wrong and most posters agree (as do I) that it is too early to judge the off-season as a whole.  Having said that I respect you as a poster and enjoy what you bring to the board.  Let the other stuff go.

4 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

You aren't wrong and most posters agree (as do I) that it is too early to judge the off-season as a whole.  Having said that I respect you as a poster and enjoy what you bring to the board.  Let the other stuff go.

I think I'd sign Gary Sanchez to a 1+1 mutual option deal.  1yr 7.5Mil with mutual option of 9Mil. 1.5Mil buyout. So 2/16.5 max. I think Sanchez by looks offers the most floor/ceiling combo of FAs. The more and more I look and read about Jeferson Quero-19 success at A level already, no doubt defensively. I just dont want to hold that back when he's ready. He's going to be in top 100 lists sooner than later. I look at Moreno on Blue Jay's going from #8 TBJ prospect in 2021 playing just 37games and suddenly top 10/15 in all of baseball preseason lists 2022. Cartaya for LA is another example.

Should I be right, that mutual option gives the Opening day 2024 "opening" to start Quero at C and decline on Sanchez.

On Sanchez end, he'll get 9mil to play 23, goes big and can decline for a bigger FA payday.  Should neither happen(top 100)/Sanchez mediocre season, you have a decision for 2024 and not locked in with or without a Catcher.

Edit add- Could easily see a team like Miami or Pittsburgh offering 2 yrs+option. 

I think I'd sign Gary Sanchez to a 1+1 mutual option deal.  1yr 7.5Mil with mutual option of 9Mil. 1.5Mil buyout. So 2/16.5 max. I think Sanchez by looks offers the most floor/ceiling combo of FAs. The more and more I look and read about Jeferson Quero-19 success at A level already, no doubt defensively. I just dont want to hold that back when he's ready. He's going to be in top 100 lists sooner than later. I look at Moreno on Blue Jay's going from #8 TBJ prospect in 2021 playing just 37games and suddenly top 10/15 in all of baseball preseason lists 2022. Cartaya for LA is another example.

Should I be right, that mutual option gives the Opening day 2024 "opening" to start Quero at C and decline on Sanchez.

On Sanchez end, he'll get 9mil to play 23, goes big and can decline for a bigger FA payday.  Should neither happen(top 100)/Sanchez mediocre season, you have a decision for 2024 and not locked in with or without a Catcher.

Edit add- Could easily see a team like Miami or Pittsburgh offering 2 yrs+option. 

Gary Sanchez wouldn't be the worst especially with our defensive team helping him, I wouldn't give him a second guaranteed year though. I'd go like 1/6 or 7 with a 2nd option and as small of buyout as possible.

I saw somewhere (can't remember the source sorry) that the A's wanted Nootbaar, Donovan, and Gordon Graffeco for Murphy. That would seem to be simlar to maybe Turang, Ashby, and between Taylor/Ruiz value for us, so I am probably writing Murphy out of my options at C.

I think Korey Lee or Yainer Diaz could be interesting options if Houston signs or trade for a catcher. Both are young controllable high potential catchers who could be had for what I would guess is a reasonable price. The Astros could also use OF help, making this a perfect swap scenerio. Say Ruiz for Diaz straight up or maybe Mitchell for Lee and a young reliever/decent pitching prospect. 

Gary Sanchez wouldn't be the worst especially with our defensive team helping him, I wouldn't give him a second guaranteed year though. I'd go like 1/6 or 7 with a 2nd option and as small of buyout as possible.

I saw somewhere (can't remember the source sorry) that the A's wanted Nootbaar, Donovan, and Gordon Graffeco for Murphy. That would seem to be simlar to maybe Turang, Ashby, and between Taylor/Ruiz value for us, so I am probably writing Murphy out of my options at C.

I think Korey Lee or Yainer Diaz could be interesting options if Houston signs or trade for a catcher. Both are young controllable high potential catchers who could be had for what I would guess is a reasonable price. The Astros could also use OF help, making this a perfect swap scenerio. Say Ruiz for Diaz straight up or maybe Mitchell for Lee and a young reliever/decent pitching prospect. 

17 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Vazquez obviously makes the most sense on a two year deal as you wouldn't have to give up prospects and he would be able to help form a bridge to Quero. However, with the markets rumored to be involved and the trajectory of the FA market this offseason, I don't think it'll happen.

Murphy is the top trade candidate. However, the asking price there is enormous, with the A's reportedly having asked for Nootbar, Donovan, Graceffo, plus from the Cards. For the Brewers, that would be like Frelick, Turang, and Gasser as a starting point, with Ashby perhaps having to be included as well. Again, unlikely.

Which brings us back to Toronto and Danny Jansen. He should be about half the cost of Murphy and would likewise be able to manage the C position until Quero arrives. Jansen also carries with him some upside, considering he's been a backup his whole career and has still put up a 123 OPS+ over the past two seasons with above average batted ball metrics. I'd give Toronto an OF not named Chourio or Frelick, along with Eric Lauer and a lottery ticket. That's a fair trade for both sides imo. 

D'Arnaud would also be more than acceptable to me. It's just a question of whether the Braves are going to trade him, or if they want to keep him and play Contreras at DH or in the OF. He should cost around the same or a little less than Jansen, but also has more downside as he's already 33. 

You're right about Jansen, he has been a back up his whole career and prior to this season-certainly didn't turn a lot of heads with his play (.690 OPS). 

As to your hypothetical, 2 years of Lauer, 6 years of say Garrett Mitchell plus another player for 2 years of a part time catcher is a pretty big gamble for Milwaukee.  Moreover, I don't know if that trade even really improves the '23 Brewers as they would then have to find someone to cover the 158 innings Lauer pitched. 

As much as I would like them to wind up with Vazquez,  the money these players are getting is insane and probably makes it unrealistic that Milwaukee signs a front line free agent.

Rather,  I would expect them to be shopping in the bargain aisle (Alfaro, Gary Sanchez, Narvaez), or swinging a trade to get Manny Pina or someone of that ilk to pair with Caratini. The Brewers also have Feliciano who will be using his final option in '23