Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Arnold says Brewers looking to improve at catcher

Curt Hogg reported that GM Matt Arnold has stated the Brewers want to improve at catcher. Given the status of their catching corps, this seems rather obvious but the interesting tidbit is that Arnold, when questioned, was cagey about whether the Brewers would pursue a free agent catcher - with Vazquez being the best remaining option while other guys like Gary Sanchez also remain available - or whether they'll pursue a trade at the cost of prospects.

What makes the most sense to you? Free agency or give up prospects and save some money?

View full rumor

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Curt Hogg reported that GM Matt Arnold has stated the Brewers want to improve at catcher. Given the status of their catching corps, this seems rather obvious but the interesting tidbit is that Arnold, when questioned, was cagey about whether the Brewers would pursue a free agent catcher - with Vazquez being the best remaining option while other guys like Gary Sanchez also remain available - or whether they'll pursue a trade at the cost of prospects.

What makes the most sense to you? Free agency or give up prospects and save some money?

View full rumor

Vazquez obviously makes the most sense on a two year deal as you wouldn't have to give up prospects and he would be able to help form a bridge to Quero. However, with the markets rumored to be involved and the trajectory of the FA market this offseason, I don't think it'll happen.

Murphy is the top trade candidate. However, the asking price there is enormous, with the A's reportedly having asked for Nootbar, Donovan, Graceffo, plus from the Cards. For the Brewers, that would be like Frelick, Turang, and Gasser as a starting point, with Ashby perhaps having to be included as well. Again, unlikely.

Which brings us back to Toronto and Danny Jansen. He should be about half the cost of Murphy and would likewise be able to manage the C position until Quero arrives. Jansen also carries with him some upside, considering he's been a backup his whole career and has still put up a 123 OPS+ over the past two seasons with above average batted ball metrics. I'd give Toronto an OF not named Chourio or Frelick, along with Eric Lauer and a lottery ticket. That's a fair trade for both sides imo. 

D'Arnaud would also be more than acceptable to me. It's just a question of whether the Braves are going to trade him, or if they want to keep him and play Contreras at DH or in the OF. He should cost around the same or a little less than Jansen, but also has more downside as he's already 33. 

I honestly think Murphy is off the table, price is way too high.

I've seen that Vazquez wants 3-4 years and big market teams are in on him.

But I agree, we really need to upgrade at C... Just dont know how we'll accomplish this right now, I gotta go look again who is available as FA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Vasquez makes the most sense to me. Probably take a three year deal. 

Vasquez said playing time will be a key in his decision. He doesn't want to be a part timer. The Brewers could probably offer that - giving him 110-120 starts a year. 

There is no one in the system knocking on the door right now. Quero is at least a couple of years away - so three years would probably work all right for Milwaukee's purposes. 

If it takes a four year deal to get Vasquez, I doubt we go there. But someone else might. 

2 minutes ago, reillymcshane said:

Vasquez said playing time will be a key in his decision. He doesn't want to be a part timer. The Brewers could probably offer that - giving him 110-120 starts a year. 

This is really interesting info, thanks. The Twins have actually made an offer to Vazquez but if playing time is a consideration, cross them off the list. I can't see them giving Vazquez 110 games and relegating Jeffers to 50 games.

Maybe the Twins try to trade Jeffers but that's also unlikely. I'd chalk the Twins up as one less Vazquez suitor.

I think we should all be prepared for the eventuality that the catching rotation is currently rostered.  This screams of "we tried".  I just cannot remember the FO being vocal about what they want to do and then actually doing that.  Big red flags for me.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I think we should all be prepared for the eventuality that the catching rotation is currently rostered.  This screams of "we tried".  I just cannot remember the FO being vocal about what they want to do and then actually doing that.  Big red flags for me.

35 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

I doubt it. The catching rotation as currently rostered would be the worst in the majors. A team with designs on contending as the Brewers are cannot afford to go forward with that. If anything, the fact that they recognize it is a problem is a promising sign as opposed to the typical "we're comfortable with what we have on the roster" line. 

35 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

I doubt it. The catching rotation as currently rostered would be the worst in the majors. A team with designs on contending as the Brewers are cannot afford to go forward with that. If anything, the fact that they recognize it is a problem is a promising sign as opposed to the typical "we're comfortable with what we have on the roster" line. 

30 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

They talked about improving the pitching depth especially for the rotation earlier in the offseason, and they've done that so far.

30 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

They talked about improving the pitching depth especially for the rotation earlier in the offseason, and they've done that so far.

1 hour ago, Brewcrew82 said:

What I wonder about is if the Brewers just go for a rehab project like Sanchez instead of a real solution.

And maybe that's fine if they find real solutions at other positions but right now, the market is thinning in a big way for impact players.

This offseason is crystalizing in a much more rapid way than it has in the past... half decade? Longer.

1 hour ago, Brewcrew82 said:

What I wonder about is if the Brewers just go for a rehab project like Sanchez instead of a real solution.

And maybe that's fine if they find real solutions at other positions but right now, the market is thinning in a big way for impact players.

This offseason is crystalizing in a much more rapid way than it has in the past... half decade? Longer.

1 hour ago, Redd Vencher said:

I disagree.  Given what left I don't think they have really improved pitching.  They picked up some arms but we really don't know anything about the quality of those arms.  They may be useful, they may be trash.

1 hour ago, Redd Vencher said:

I disagree.  Given what left I don't think they have really improved pitching.  They picked up some arms but we really don't know anything about the quality of those arms.  They may be useful, they may be trash.

1 minute ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Other than Hader, who had already been traded at the deadline, who left that we'll really be missing? Boxberger, I guess. He was certainly valuable to us. But who else? 

On the other hand, we've added a number of depth arms, which is what hurt us last season when we were forced to trot out guys like Alexander and Kelley....

1 minute ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Other than Hader, who had already been traded at the deadline, who left that we'll really be missing? Boxberger, I guess. He was certainly valuable to us. But who else? 

On the other hand, we've added a number of depth arms, which is what hurt us last season when we were forced to trot out guys like Alexander and Kelley....

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Box, Gott, Suter, all were useful pitchers last year.  Sure, they picked ups some depth arms.  That doesn't mean those depth arms are better than the depth arms they lost.  You can't just say they singed a bunch of depth arms when those arms really have zero MLB track record and say its all good.

7 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Box, Gott, Suter, all were useful pitchers last year.  Sure, they picked ups some depth arms.  That doesn't mean those depth arms are better than the depth arms they lost.  You can't just say they singed a bunch of depth arms when those arms really have zero MLB track record and say its all good.

2 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Box, sure. But Gott and Suter were literally replacement level pitchers last year....They seem want more quantity than they had last season, which I agree with. 

2 minutes ago, 82brewcrew82 said:

Box, sure. But Gott and Suter were literally replacement level pitchers last year....They seem want more quantity than they had last season, which I agree with.