Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Adames Unlikely to Be Traded, Possibly in Extension Talks with Brewers

There were rumors swirling that the Brewers might be open to dealing Adames this winter but based on a few things we've heard recently, that's now unlikely. While that's good news for Brewers fans, the reason behind it is possibly even more appealing: apparently, Adames and the Brewers may be discussing an extension.

Adames took a step backward offensively in 2022; after posting a 126 and 120 wRC+ in 2020 and 2021, his batting average dropped about 30 points and his wRC+ fell below 110 while his on-base percentage dropped below .300. With batting averages dropping like a stone across MLB the past several seasons, it's hard to get a read on whether Adames' performance drop was a one-year aberration or what to expect going forward.

View full rumor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with you on that, Brock.

Defensively, he’s still very good.  And, clearly, the power is there.  But a good batting eye is not.  He seems, to me, to have turned into another “all or nothing” hitter, and that’s just something the Brewers don’t need.  I wish he would change his hitting style back to what brought him better success at the plate.  Patience and a good eye to just take an (more than) occasional walk would be nice, too.

Now, if turns out to be some extraordinarily team-friendly deal, I might be okay with it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I would agree with you on that, Brock.

Defensively, he’s still very good.  And, clearly, the power is there.  But a good batting eye is not.  He seems, to me, to have turned into another “all or nothing” hitter, and that’s just something the Brewers don’t need.  I wish he would change his hitting style back to what brought him better success at the plate.  Patience and a good eye to just take an (more than) occasional walk would be nice, too.

Now, if turns out to be some extraordinarily team-friendly deal, I might be okay with it.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

57 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Good to hear, would certainly like to see a 27 year old in his prime extended over a 30 year old pitcher like Woodruff.

FWIW, Wheeler was a 30 year old pitcher when he was signed to a five year deal by the Phillies a couple of offseasons ago, and look how that deal has turned out for them...Same thing with the Mets and DeGrom before that. 

I'd much rather extend a certified ace pitcher in Woodruff than a high strikeout, sub .300 OBP hitter in Adames. 

57 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Good to hear, would certainly like to see a 27 year old in his prime extended over a 30 year old pitcher like Woodruff.

FWIW, Wheeler was a 30 year old pitcher when he was signed to a five year deal by the Phillies a couple of offseasons ago, and look how that deal has turned out for them...Same thing with the Mets and DeGrom before that. 

I'd much rather extend a certified ace pitcher in Woodruff than a high strikeout, sub .300 OBP hitter in Adames. 

Just saw this and checked on possible deals.   Here is the best I could come up with .

Lux (IF), Miller (SP), and Vargas (1B)

***(trade value of 87+)

for 

Adames , Woodruff and Tyrone Taylor 
***(trade value of 91+)

Figure we might as well add Woody if dealing Adames if we can get these three back.   Would you do it??

Just saw this and checked on possible deals.   Here is the best I could come up with .

***(trade value of 87+)

for 

***(trade value of 91+)

Figure we might as well add Woody if dealing Adames if we can get these three back.   Would you do it??

1 hour ago, Scooterfletcher said:

***(trade value of 87+)

for 

***(trade value of 91+)

I’d want an overpay if I’m sending that much major league talent back. One more piece and a lottery or two. 

1 hour ago, Scooterfletcher said:

***(trade value of 87+)

for 

***(trade value of 91+)

I’d want an overpay if I’m sending that much major league talent back. One more piece and a lottery or two. 

Well if we pretend that this site is gospel and on the money for a moment, we have four points coming our way.   So something like this to make it completely equal like you are thinking.

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Lux 2B 30.8
Miller RHP 30.9
Nastrini RHP 2.7
Ryan RHP 1.9
Vargas 1B 25.5

Total Value: 91.80

Dodgers

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Adames SS 41.3
Taylor OF 12.7
Woodruff SP 37.8

Well if we pretend that this site is gospel and on the money for a moment, we have four points coming our way.   So something like this to make it completely equal like you are thinking.

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Lux 2B 30.8
Miller RHP 30.9
Nastrini RHP 2.7
Ryan RHP 1.9
Vargas 1B 25.5

Dodgers

Name Position MTV ($Ms)
Adames SS 41.3
Taylor OF 12.7
Woodruff SP 37.8