Brewer Fanatic

Article: Where Does the Roster Stand Post Renfroe Trade?

Nate Palmer

On 11/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, DR28 said:

Yea I dont get why everyone thinks we'll land Abreu... He is #1 target of Padres and Im sure other teams as well, Abreu will not be a Brewer.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:57 AM, BlightyBrew said:

Everyone on this board acts like the extension are completely controlled by the Brewers and players have no say in it.

Why does "everyone" on this board act like "everyone" makes these statements that aren't remotely true?

The overwhelming majority of the Burnes/Woodruff discussion has been centered around IF either would sign for comparable deals. Woodruff->Luis Castillo and Burnes in the deGrom 5/135 range. 

Who has said that it's just up to the Brewers if players sign extensions? In fact I'd guess the majority of people have said it's unlikely either would sign an extension at this point.

Same with Abreu. We know three things now about Abreu with regard to free agency. His preference was to stay in Chicago. He is "a top priority for the Padres." And he wants to continue to play 1B.  
I don't know how the numbers work out to  1% chance that he signs with the Brewers or what that's based off, but it's kinda silly. 

Maybe "everyone" should just stop speaking for "everyone?" 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lajitas said:

It's based off of his being cost-prohibitive to the Brewers.  Anyone that can't see that is silly.  Or just flat-out dumb.

Yeah...you're right. It's not possible the Brewers who are trading Renfroe and possibly Wong could afford a 1B projected to get ~15M a year(which would STILL leave them with a lower payroll than last year). 

I really thought you had more insight than this...I'm starting to realize, you don't really offer any insight. 

2 hours ago, Lajitas said:

It's based off of his being cost-prohibitive to the Brewers.  Anyone that can't see that is silly.  Or just flat-out dumb.

Yeah...you're right. It's not possible the Brewers who are trading Renfroe and possibly Wong could afford a 1B projected to get ~15M a year(which would STILL leave them with a lower payroll than last year). 

I really thought you had more insight than this...I'm starting to realize, you don't really offer any insight. 

On 11/25/2022 at 9:12 PM, Brock Beauchamp said:

Which is why I've been ready to move on from Hiura for awhile. I hope the Brewers can get an A ball lottery ticket, move on, and replace his roster spot with someone who complements the lineup much more.

He would have improved the lineup a ton if our management was wise enough to limit his AB vs. LHP.
You wouldn't get rid of a LHH who raked against RHP; it was foolish to use Hiura as they did.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:12 PM, Brock Beauchamp said:

Which is why I've been ready to move on from Hiura for awhile. I hope the Brewers can get an A ball lottery ticket, move on, and replace his roster spot with someone who complements the lineup much more.

He would have improved the lineup a ton if our management was wise enough to limit his AB vs. LHP.
You wouldn't get rid of a LHH who raked against RHP; it was foolish to use Hiura as they did.

6 hours ago, Robocaller said:

The way things stand, Hiura is still a mystery. With the way he was used last year, I was kind of surprised that they offered him arby. Does that mean they envision him playing a big role as 1B/DH/2B, or did they just offer arby so they could flip him for someone in trade?

Outside of Hiura, things are starting to shape up, and their plans for Hiura could determine what else they do.

The OF looks pretty set with Yelich, Mitchell, Frelick, Taylor and possibly a 5th OF from the AAA group.

Adames is SS, Urias will probably play 3B vs RHP and 2B vs LHP, with Brosseau at 3B vs LHP and filling a utility role otherwise. Wong is at 2B vs RHP, Tellez is at 1B. Caratini will fill one catcher spot and we'll probably find another, hopefully a starter. We'll probably pick up a utility guy who can back up SS.

So, what do we do with Hiura? If he is going to be our main DH, then we could be pretty much set the way we are, other than picking up a catcher and a utility guy. They didn't seem to trust him last year, so that would be a surprise, but why offer him arby if they're just going to sit him on the bench? He isn't a good defender, so his value as a bench player is limited, and he should only be on the roster if he's going to pair with Tellez in a 1B/DH combo, hopefully finding someone who can fill in vs LHP.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

6 hours ago, Robocaller said:

The way things stand, Hiura is still a mystery. With the way he was used last year, I was kind of surprised that they offered him arby. Does that mean they envision him playing a big role as 1B/DH/2B, or did they just offer arby so they could flip him for someone in trade?

Outside of Hiura, things are starting to shape up, and their plans for Hiura could determine what else they do.

The OF looks pretty set with Yelich, Mitchell, Frelick, Taylor and possibly a 5th OF from the AAA group.

Adames is SS, Urias will probably play 3B vs RHP and 2B vs LHP, with Brosseau at 3B vs LHP and filling a utility role otherwise. Wong is at 2B vs RHP, Tellez is at 1B. Caratini will fill one catcher spot and we'll probably find another, hopefully a starter. We'll probably pick up a utility guy who can back up SS.

So, what do we do with Hiura? If he is going to be our main DH, then we could be pretty much set the way we are, other than picking up a catcher and a utility guy. They didn't seem to trust him last year, so that would be a surprise, but why offer him arby if they're just going to sit him on the bench? He isn't a good defender, so his value as a bench player is limited, and he should only be on the roster if he's going to pair with Tellez in a 1B/DH combo, hopefully finding someone who can fill in vs LHP.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

16 minutes ago, monty57 said:

Hiura is an enigma. He's a terrible fielding right-handed hitter who oddly and frustratingly can't touch lefty pitching. IMO this team would be better off dealing him and then finding a player who actually compliments Tellez's skillset, not one who poorly mimics it. They need a RHH 1B/DH type who has a clue against lefties. I'd be extremely surprised if he's back.

16 minutes ago, monty57 said:

Hiura is an enigma. He's a terrible fielding right-handed hitter who oddly and frustratingly can't touch lefty pitching. IMO this team would be better off dealing him and then finding a player who actually compliments Tellez's skillset, not one who poorly mimics it. They need a RHH 1B/DH type who has a clue against lefties. I'd be extremely surprised if he's back.

2 hours ago, True Blue Brew Crew said:

If the Brewers have a less than 1% chance of signing a player like Jose Abreu, just fold the franchise. 

Thankfully that's not even close to being accurate.

Percentage doesnt matter, we won't be signing Abreu... Can't compete with large market teams. 

2 hours ago, True Blue Brew Crew said:

If the Brewers have a less than 1% chance of signing a player like Jose Abreu, just fold the franchise. 

Thankfully that's not even close to being accurate.

Percentage doesnt matter, we won't be signing Abreu... Can't compete with large market teams. 

30 minutes ago, DR28 said:

I don't think we'll sign him, 2023 will be Abreu's age 36 season, so teams looking at signing him will probably be looking at a 1 or 2 year deal. With the Brewers' probable financial constraints heading into next season, I think you are correct that they won't be able to offer him the highest-dollar-value, short-term deal, and he will very likely not be a Brewer.

How it could get done:

1) He likes living in Chicago. Milwaukee is close to Chicago. I'm not sure of his family situation, but they could keep their home  in Chicago and he could get an apartment in Milwaukee and only be a short drive away. He's made plenty of money, so maybe at this point in his career he'd forgo some money in order to not have to uproot his (and his family's) life.

2) We add a year onto the end of the deal. I don't like doing this, as it's probably going to be a year we'd wish we didn't have him, but this was one of the main reasons Cain signed here. 

I think that if the team is looking at guaranteeing money into 2025 or beyond, they will first look at extending Burnes, Woodruff or Adames. If those talks are going nowhere, then they may look at signing a bigger-money free agent.

~Bill Walsh

30 minutes ago, DR28 said:

I don't think we'll sign him, 2023 will be Abreu's age 36 season, so teams looking at signing him will probably be looking at a 1 or 2 year deal. With the Brewers' probable financial constraints heading into next season, I think you are correct that they won't be able to offer him the highest-dollar-value, short-term deal, and he will very likely not be a Brewer.

How it could get done:

1) He likes living in Chicago. Milwaukee is close to Chicago. I'm not sure of his family situation, but they could keep their home  in Chicago and he could get an apartment in Milwaukee and only be a short drive away. He's made plenty of money, so maybe at this point in his career he'd forgo some money in order to not have to uproot his (and his family's) life.

2) We add a year onto the end of the deal. I don't like doing this, as it's probably going to be a year we'd wish we didn't have him, but this was one of the main reasons Cain signed here. 

I think that if the team is looking at guaranteeing money into 2025 or beyond, they will first look at extending Burnes, Woodruff or Adames. If those talks are going nowhere, then they may look at signing a bigger-money free agent.

~Bill Walsh

9 hours ago, UpandIn said:

First, Abreu is projected to get around $20 M a year, not $15 M.  Second, spending the $10 M saved from trading Renfroe is better spent on upgrading the bullpen.  Money spent on one position is money that is not available to spend on others.

Abreu/Turang and the current bullpen is NOT an upgrade over Tellez/Wong and two or three more bullpen arms.

9 hours ago, UpandIn said:

First, Abreu is projected to get around $20 M a year, not $15 M.  Second, spending the $10 M saved from trading Renfroe is better spent on upgrading the bullpen.  Money spent on one position is money that is not available to spend on others.

Abreu/Turang and the current bullpen is NOT an upgrade over Tellez/Wong and two or three more bullpen arms.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, Brock Beauchamp said:

To me, the biggest question mark is pitching development. The Brewers obviously had an amazing run of developing Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Hader, Lauer, etc. Can they do it again? 

The Brewers didn't develop Lauer, and I'd go as far as to say they didn't develop Hader either...

On 11/24/2022 at 9:43 AM, Brock Beauchamp said:

To me, the biggest question mark is pitching development. The Brewers obviously had an amazing run of developing Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Hader, Lauer, etc. Can they do it again? 

The Brewers didn't develop Lauer, and I'd go as far as to say they didn't develop Hader either...

1 hour ago, Hopper said:

Both improved after coming to the Brewers. However you want to divvy up the development of that, the Brewers deserve at least some of the credit (I'd personally argue most of the credit but YMMV).

1 hour ago, Hopper said:

Both improved after coming to the Brewers. However you want to divvy up the development of that, the Brewers deserve at least some of the credit (I'd personally argue most of the credit but YMMV).