Brewer Fanatic

What Level Will Prospects Begin in 2023?

jay87shot

I am not sure if this needs it's own thread but where do you see some of our more interesting prospects placed to start the year.

Here are my thoughts.

Chourio-A+  He has only had 142 AB's there and I think it would be better for his development and psyche to start in A+ and dominate. After 20 games or so send him to AA and that gives enough time for a late year AAA push.

Quero- A+  Pretty much the same as Chourio, not a ton of high A AB's, for the 2 teenagers getting a positive start to the season should go a long way. 

Carlos Rodriguez- A+  If there was one of the 3 of Chorio, Quero, and Rodriguez I would get aggressive with and start in AA it would be Rodriguez. However he should get few more successful starts in A+.

Zavier Warren-AAA  Here is where I would get aggressive, he only had 28 AA games but with a solid AFL and major versatility I would challenge Warren.

Middendorf-AAA  Same as  Warren, 9 innings in AA but with a good AFL and older prospect (25) AAA isn't crazy. It also gives him a shot to help the big league club earlier if an injury occurs.

Uribe- AA  This is a super tough one, if Uribe had been healthy last year I would have gave him a chance to make the big league roster. However I think we will sign or minor trade for a bunch of veteran minor league guys like Box, Zimm, and Strickland from a few years ago. That will push Uribe to AA with a quick move to AAA in the cards.

Black- AA   He was probably a week or so away from AA last year and maybe had a chance to start in AAA. However I would go slower with the injuries.

Eric Brown-A+  I would give him a shot to move quickly.

Other-Zamora AA, Knarr AAA, Zamora AA, Moore A

I am sure I left out a debatable case or to and to be honest didn't really think of minor league depth charts and potential log jams.

31 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

I am not sure if this needs it's own thread but where do you see some of our more interesting prospects placed to start the year.

Here are my thoughts.

Chourio-A+  He has only had 142 AB's there and I think it would be better for his development and psyche to start in A+ and dominate. After 20 games or so send him to AA and that gives enough time for a late year AAA push.

Quero- A+  Pretty much the same as Chourio, not a ton of high A AB's, for the 2 teenagers getting a positive start to the season should go a long way. 

Carlos Rodriguez- A+  If there was one of the 3 of Chorio, Quero, and Rodriguez I would get aggressive with and start in AA it would be Rodriguez. However he should get few more successful starts in A+.

Zavier Warren-AAA  Here is where I would get aggressive, he only had 28 AA games but with a solid AFL and major versatility I would challenge Warren.

Middendorf-AAA  Same as  Warren, 9 innings in AA but with a good AFL and older prospect (25) AAA isn't crazy. It also gives him a shot to help the big league club earlier if an injury occurs.

Uribe- AA  This is a super tough one, if Uribe had been healthy last year I would have gave him a chance to make the big league roster. However I think we will sign or minor trade for a bunch of veteran minor league guys like Box, Zimm, and Strickland from a few years ago. That will push Uribe to AA with a quick move to AAA in the cards.

Black- AA   He was probably a week or so away from AA last year and maybe had a chance to start in AAA. However I would go slower with the injuries.

I am sure I left out a debatable case or to and to be honest didn't really think of minor league depth charts and potential log jams.

Agree with most of your placements. Uribe to AAA for me. His stuff is so nasty as long as he’s still strike-throwing, I’m bringing him to MKE the day we gain the extra year, and the same with Middendorf. 

I can't see them demoting Chourio, even if he didn't do well at AA.

For some of these guys the decision will be based on other guys in the organization who were at higher levels.

I might put Abner in AZ; he's gotta be on a serious innings limit after only getting 3IP this year (and another 10+ this fall/winter).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I see a glut of starting pitchers who could/should be in High-A, so there will be interesting decisions here: Russell Smith, Israel Puello, Carlos Rodriguez, Ryne Moore, Stiven Cruz, Alexander Cornielle, Jeison Pena, Jacob Misiorowski, Logan Henderson, Cameron Wagoner, Tyler Woessner, Edwin Jimenez, Jeferson Figueroa, Miguel Segura, Fernando Olguin...

I guess we'll promote Smith to Biloxi, but I'd also love to see Rodriguez, Cruz and Cornielle get rapid promotions, if the club feels they're ready. What do we do with Misiorowski and Henderson? Is Woessner still injured?

4 hours ago, damuelle said:

I see a glut of starting pitchers who could/should be in High-A, so there will be interesting decisions here: Russell Smith, Israel Puello, Carlos Rodriguez, Ryne Moore, Stiven Cruz, Alexander Cornielle, Jeison Pena, Jacob Misiorowski, Logan Henderson, Cameron Wagoner, Tyler Woessner, Edwin Jimenez, Jeferson Figueroa, Miguel Segura, Fernando Olguin...

I guess we'll promote Smith to Biloxi, but I'd also love to see Rodriguez, Cruz and Cornielle get rapid promotions, if the club feels they're ready. What do we do with Misiorowski and Henderson? Is Woessner still injured?

Agreed on the rapid promotion of pitchers, in general I feel like it is easier for solid pitching to start a little higher up. It seems like earlier in the year hitting is always a bit behind so it is better mentally to start hitters low and move quicker during the year and start pitchers high and be a little more cautious in season.

I wouldn't call Chourio to A+ a demotion. Yes, he played 6 games there but really only because A+ season was over. I feel like even for guy who is being pushed through quickly you want around 200 abs per level and he only had 127 (144 pa). To me give him say 15-20 games in A+ and 60-70 in AA. That should leave enough time to get 30-50 games in AAA. If he plays really well he could still get an audition in the bigs at the end of the year and be ready early in 2024. Starting him in AA doesn't really change that timeline much.

I would probably go A+ for Henderson but with the limited innings A would be fine. For Misi, maybe going the Chorio route and letting him work in a camp an extra week or 2 and the going to A ball would be a good idea.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, jay87shot said:

Here are my thoughts.

I need to look at a few things before making the pitcher predictions, but other than last year's draft picks, I've got just about every one of the hitters you mentioned in AA. Black is obvious. I doubt Zamora gets pushed after last season. Unlike Uribe, who I do think could start in AAA, I don't think Warren's strong fall league was enough to push him up a level. Rodriguez was tearing up High-A when he got hurt and is already entering his sixth year in the system, so AA makes sense. 

That brings us to the big question hitting wise in the system in my opinion: Jeferson Quero. It is basically a coin flip, but if I had to pick, I think they push him. He hit well at Wisconsin and while his Fall League batting stats weren't overwhelming, he wasn't overwhelmed either. And while you might normally err on the side of caution with catching prospects that young to make sure they are ready defensively, that's not as big of a concern with Quero.

I also think Brown and Moore both start in high-A. I know Zamora started at Carolina a couple years ago, but he was also coming off of an injury and didn't have the low-A experience Moore has. Also, there is no shortage of infield options at Carolina even without them.

Other than Quero, my biggest hitter questions:

1. I have a feeling one of the low-A outfield from the end of last year (Mendez, Perez, Castillo, Avila and Fernandez) starts the year in Wisconsin, but I don't know which one.

2. Do they make a decision as to whether Low is a hitter or a pitcher or do they keep the two-way thing going another year?

To date Chourio has tracked right with Juan Soto, if anything running slight ahead of him on the ladder through age 18. Soto didn't see AA until his 3rd minor league season at age 19. Chourio hit Biloxi at the end of his 2nd minor league season at age 18 and is about to embark on his 3rd year in pro ball. Here's how Soto's 3 year (also at age 19) in pro ball unfolded...

A: 16 games

A+: 15 games

AA: 8 games

MLB: 116 games

Chourio has been one of the few to match the numbers Soto was putting up at the age of 18 and actually progressed further than him at the same age. It would not be shocking to see Chourio in Milwaukee at some point in 2023. I wouldn't rule out starting the year back in Appleton, but most likely he picks right back up in Biloxi and could move quickly from there. Soto never even played at day of AAA ball but I would expect Chourio to spend some time in Nashville. I could see something like this for Jackson in 2023 barring injury or any stall in performance...

AA: 80 games

AAA: 50 games

MLB: 25 games

That's an admittedly aggressive track but it pales in comparison to how quickly Soto moved in his age 19 season which began in low A. It wouldn't even surprise me if the Brewers were just as aggressive with Chourio and had him up by mid May like Soto was with Washington, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't see much point in starting Chourio in A+. He's already shown he can handle that level, and the minors are about development anyway. If you expect him to spend most of the year in AA, just start him there straight away. Just one hitting coach (or coach team) to work with, one city to settle into, one set of (albeir changing) team mates etc. Put him where he'll be challenged. AA at bats will prepare him better than A+ ones will IMO. 

• Like 2

CheeseheadinQC has a knack for these placements, so he's probably right about Jeferson Quero being pushed up to AA, but for now I've got him pairing with Matthew Wood (hope he's healthy) in High-A. This is in part because I don't know what to do with all the AAA/AA catchers: Feliciano, Henry, Jackson, Navarreto, Miller, Diaz, Lopez, Kahle, Clarke.

The main starting pitcher that I assume jumps to AAA is Victor Castaneda. I don't even think Adam Seminaris will start in AAA, given that he and Brandon Knarr were drafted the same year, promoted to High-A in the same week, promoted to AA on the exact same day and Knarr actually out-pitched him in AA in 2022. If we can push Carlos F. Rodriguez and Stiven Cruz up to AA to start the year, it'd give us a prospect-laden starting rotation in Biloxi: Rodriguez, Cruz, Knarr, Seminaris, Justin Jarvis...

• Like 3

People might want to consider the typical weather outlook for the minor league home sites in April...

I am not saying its the determining factor in placement, but it is part of the consideration process..

MKE AA gets Biloxi and the Southern League

MKE High A gets the Appleton, WI area & the Midwest League (all outdoors).

4 hours ago, damuelle said:

CheeseheadinQC has a knack for these placements, so he's probably right about Jeferson Quero being pushed up to AA, but for now I've got him pairing with Matthew Wood (hope he's healthy) in High-A. This is in part because I don't know what to do with all the AAA/AA catchers: Feliciano, Henry, Jackson, Navarreto, Miller, Diaz, Lopez, Kahle, Clarke.

I have it 51/49 so I am hardly convinced myself. Basically I think one of Miller/Quero is at Wisconsin, the other is in Biloxi. 

• Like 1

I said I'd do pitching predictions, so here are some guesses on the rotations. A few notes: 1. I included six for each of the top three levels partially because the schedule sets up for it and partially because the sad truth is, pitching injuries are fairly common, especially at the lower levels. I have 10 for low-A because of tandems. 2. If I didn't list a player, including one at least mildly prominent example at AAA, I likely am guessing they move to the bullpen. Or I just had a memory lapse.

Based on the rosters right now, in no particular order:

AAA: Gasser, Small, Junk, Seminaris, Alexander, Boushley

AA: Cruz, C. Rodriguez, Jarvis, Knarr, Shook, Lazar

High-A: Henderson, Cornielle, Wagoner, Smith, Jimenez, Puello

Low-A: Misiorowski, Rudy, Woessner, Peterson, Aquino, Vallecillo, Segura, Herrera, B. Rodriguez, Gonzalez

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I said I'd do pitching predictions, so here are some guesses on the rotations. A few notes: 1. I included six for each of the top three levels partially because the schedule sets up for it and partially because the sad truth is, pitching injuries are fairly common, especially at the lower levels. I have 10 for low-A because of tandems. 2. If I didn't list a player, including one at least mildly prominent example at AAA, I likely am guessing they move to the bullpen. Or I just had a memory lapse.

Based on the rosters right now, in no particular order:

AAA: Gasser, Small, Junk, Seminaris, Alexander, Boushley

AA: Cruz, C. Rodriguez, Jarvis, Knarr, Shook, Lazar

High-A: Henderson, Cornielle, Wagoner, Smith, Jimenez, Puello

Low-A: Misiorowski, Rudy, Woessner, Peterson, Aquino, Vallecillo, Segura, Herrera, B. Rodriguez, Gonzalez

I would posit Seminaris starts in Double-A and Junk starts with the Big Club. I would simply swap out Peguero for Junk. And, we know ML FA signings in the Double-A and Triple-A stables are still possible if not likely.

I don't see Lazar in Biloxi to start the year whatsoever - IF they go in-house, I'd initially just swap in Seminaris. Beyond that, Cornielle is much more deserving than a Lazar.

I think they move both Puello and Moore to the bullpen in Wisconsin (Remember, Rhyne was promoted before everyone, oddly. Then Puello. Neither had near the impact of the three young guns in Rodriguez, Cruz, and Cornielle). Perhaps, they consider Garabitos in a Starting role? Just spit-balling. Under-the-radar candidate BUT I am skeptical Puello sticks in a starting role - I would give the nod to Moore here.

Fun exercise.

9 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

I would posit Seminaris starts in Double-A and Junk starts with the Big Club. I would simply swap out Peguero for Junk. And, we know ML FA signings in the Double-A and Triple-A stables are still possible if not likely.

I don't see Lazar in Biloxi to start the year whatsoever - IF they go in-house, I'd initially just swap in Seminaris. Beyond that, Cornielle is much more deserving than a Lazar.

I think they move both Puello and Moore to the bullpen in Wisconsin (Remember, Rhyne was promoted before everyone, oddly. Then Puello. Neither had near the impact of the three young guns in Rodriguez, Cruz, and Cornielle). Perhaps, they consider Garabitos in a Starting role? Just spit-balling. Under-the-radar candidate BUT I am skeptical Puello sticks in a starting role - I would give the nod to Moore here.

Fun exercise.

I had Seminaris in Lazar’s spot until I decided to go with a gut instinct that they might take a look at how Castaneda’s stuff played in a relief role. Then it came down to Lazar vs. Bennett and similarly I could see them taking a look at whether Bennett’s occasional stretches of dominance become more frequent in the pen.

I do think, given how close he is to minor league free agency, if you have any hopes for Lazar he has to start in AA, be it the rotation or bullpen.

Puello’s spot might be a little soft, and I considered having another of last year’s picks take that spot with Puello getting a look at how he does in the bullpen, but ultimately I stuck with him.

On 11/23/2022 at 3:03 PM, damuelle said:

The main starting pitcher that I assume jumps to AAA is Victor Castaneda. I don't even think Adam Seminaris will start in AAA, given that he and Brandon Knarr were drafted the same year, promoted to High-A in the same week, promoted to AA on the exact same day and Knarr actually out-pitched him in AA in 2022. If we can push Carlos F. Rodriguez and Stiven Cruz up to AA to start the year, it'd give us a prospect-laden starting rotation in Biloxi: Rodriguez, Cruz, Knarr, Seminaris, Justin Jarvis...

Boy, do the Brewers have a treasure trove of capable catchers. After seeing Navarreto play so well for Nashville last year, and get the nod in the Playoffs, I'd certainly like to see him in a meaningful role to start 2023 in Nashville. Feliciano's defense really concerned me this past season - when it wasn't passed balls it was erratic throws into the outfield. That's a major concern for a once highly touted prospect. Hopefully, he bounces back in a big way.

I would say, at this point, Darrien Miller and Wes Clarke are in the same category for me: extremely talented baseball players who happen to play catcher - in Wes's case, more as a spot fill-in kind of role whereas he seems to be slotted in the 1B and DH role quite a bit more often. I mean, Miller can bat lead-off - and do it quite well with his patient approach. I would personally like to see Miller given more shots at 1B. I would like to see him on a strength and muscle adding regimen to see if they can't take his natural upward sweeping swinging motion and work with him on launch angle. To me, he would be a natural position change candidate - I just don't think his arm and slow pop and release will ever play at higher levels. It's a shame I feel this way - he's just a likable player and young man in every regard. Maybe I'm just wrong. I'd be quite fine with that.

4 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

I had Seminaris in Lazar’s spot until I decided to go with a gut instinct that they might take a look at how Castaneda’s stuff played in a relief role. Then it came down to Lazar vs. Bennett and similarly I could see them taking a look at whether Bennett’s occasional stretches of dominance become more frequent in the pen.

I do think, given how close he is to minor league free agency, if you have any hopes for Lazar he has to start in AA, be it the rotation or bullpen.

Puello’s spot might be a little soft, and I considered having another of last year’s picks take that spot with Puello getting a look at how he does in the bullpen, but ultimately I stuck with him.

Good thoughts. I had honestly forgotten Nick Bennett - it's the off-season! ? For me, that again would indicate Lazar starts in High-A to grab his footing and establish a reason for promotion. It's important to remember, imho, he only pitched 39 innings last year. Yes, 39. I just don't see a single reason to start anywhere but Wisconsin. He grabbed a mere 6 starts in Wisconsin but those outings were essentially glorified piggy-back bullpen role outings. I believe his longest outings were a mere 4 IP.  And, at that, maybe he did that 2-3 times? In my opinion, he's certainly further along than Israel Puello and has stuff that plays quite a bit better. But, after missing over a month of playing time and having to rehab with the AZB and Carolina clubs in August, while remaining in Carolina into September, I find it extremely improbable he garners organizational impetus to suddenly skip High-A. It just doesn't compute for me. He will turn 24 in June of 2023. I think he has plenty to prove. 

As a side note, I am very curious to see how and where Taylor Floyd starts 2023. His turnaround and reversion to his previous (to injury) dominant self was awesome to watch after he found footing in Wisconsin. Something absolutely clicked after his ump-induced meltdown versus Cedar Rapids in late July. I remember being so irritated by that umpiring performance - it was absolute Bush League late-night softball showmanship. And, it absolutely was the launch point to Floyd's incredible end-of-the-season performance. I sincerely hope he gets another shot to start the year in Biloxi. If we take in consideration his bullpen work on my birthday 7/24, Floyd appeared in 18 games to finish his season. 29 IP. He allowed runs in a mere 4 outings. Elevated ERA due to said 7/26 outing, additionally. 40 K: 19BB. 

He can absolutely build off this and I really hope he does. When he is on his sweeping off speed slider mixes so nicely with his delivery and higher-than-typical velocity given his submarine release. He would pair so nicely with Middendorf as unorthodox RHP's who have uncannily good stuff. I really hope they can dial both to their highest potential. I certainly don't forget, Floyd was striking out over a batter an inning in the 2021 AFL. He might just be a forgotten bullpen diamond in the rough. It goes without saying, 2023 will be a big year for the right-handed hurler.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:08 AM, CheeseheadInQC said:

1. I have a feeling one of the low-A outfield from the end of last year (Mendez, Perez, Castillo, Avila and Fernandez) starts the year in Wisconsin, but I don't know which one.

2. Do they make a decision as to whether Low is a hitter or a pitcher or do they keep the two-way thing going another year?

I assume Mendez is one of these stud prospects that we'll just promote every year, believing he'll adjust relatively quickly to the level change. So I expect him in Wisconsin.

And then Hedbert's already been in Low-A for more than a season, so the hope is probably that they fix his swing in spring training and get him to Wisconsin as well. But if he struggles in spring, they'll keep him in Carolina (we saw something similar with Micah Bello last year, if I read the starting spring line-up tea leaves correctly).

I think Jesus Chirinos will also make the move to Wisconsin to start the season, thus opening the door wide for Quinton Low to make a lot of starts at first base in Carolina (pairing with Branyln Jaraba). Pretty much like clockwork, Low also pitched one inning every 7th day last year, and was quite effective (0.82 ERA, 13.1 K/9 in 11 innings) so I don't see them ceasing his mound duties either.

30 minutes ago, damuelle said:

I assume Mendez is one of these stud prospects that we'll just promote every year, believing he'll adjust relatively quickly to the level change. So I expect him in Wisconsin.

And then Hedbert's already been in Low-A for more than a season, so the hope is probably that they fix his swing in spring training and get him to Wisconsin as well. But if he struggles in spring, they'll keep him in Carolina (we saw something similar with Micah Bello last year, if I read the starting spring line-up tea leaves correctly).

I think Jesus Chirinos will also make the move to Wisconsin to start the season, thus opening the door wide for Quinton Low to make a lot of starts at first base in Carolina (pairing with Branyln Jaraba). Pretty much like clockwork, Low also pitched one inning every 7th day last year, and was quite effective (0.82 ERA, 13.1 K/9 in 11 innings) so I don't see them ceasing his mound duties either.

Completely agreed on Mendez. He will definitely be one of those fast track promoted studs it would appear. The hype is already real in scouting and prospect analysis circles. Before that extremely unfortunate crash into the right field wall, he was really on a tear. He has so many innate baseball tools and gifts to work with, it only makes sense to challenge his growth in the lead-off and OF spots at a higher level. 

Assuming they start Chourio at Double-A, who mans CF for Ayrault and the T-Rats? Cargo is a LF'er primarily - as is Bello. Will they try Mendez in CF - he was primarily RF in Carolina.

Which randomly brings me to:

What the heck is going to happen to start Joe Gray Jr's baseball year?  Does he stagnate his Levels after such a ho-hum year as they look to get traction going again...providing CF security as he looks to get his feet on the ground? Not what he or the Brewers are hoping for but you can very easily make the case it is what is needed.

These 10 players will be minor league free agents after the 2023 season.  I would expect aggressive placements of many of these and they will be rapidly promoted to see what they can do.  Free agency can be avoided if the Brewers put them on the 40 man roster.  I'm excited to see what Lutz, Ward and Rodriguez will do next year as there will be a lot of OF competition.  I expect Lutz to be at AAA and Ward and Rodriguez to start in AA (along with Chourio).

Robbie Hitt
Brent Diaz
Tristan Lutz
Max Lazar
Jevon Ward
Justin Bullock
Karlos Morales
Matt Hardy
Michele Vassalotti
Ernesto Martinez

• Like 1

Good point on the climate in AA vs. high A. I was quiet positive the lower placement for Chourio would be wiser but not so sure now. I guess I am more 50-50. 

How many vets do you think we will add on minor league deals or camp invites who stay. I would guess a couple relief guys, a couple utility types, and maybe 1 more OF. That could play into some assignment. It seemed like we had a ton last year. Singleton, White, Dahl, Whitley, Almonte, Davis, Brothers, Harris, Kelly, Mejia, and Perdomo were all added last offseason and were AAA players (I think Mejia made the opening roster).

3 hours ago, Joseph Zarr said:

Completely agreed on Mendez. He will definitely be one of those fast track promoted studs it would appear. The hype is already real in scouting and prospect analysis circles. Before that extremely unfortunate crash into the right field wall, he was really on a tear. He has so many innate baseball tools and gifts to work with, it only makes sense to challenge his growth in the lead-off and OF spots at a higher level. 

Assuming they start Chourio at Double-A, who mans CF for Ayrault and the T-Rats? Cargo is a LF'er primarily - as is Bello. Will they try Mendez in CF - he was primarily RF in Carolina.

Which randomly brings me to:

What the heck is going to happen to start Joe Gray Jr's baseball year?  Does he stagnate his Levels after such a ho-hum year as they look to get traction going again...providing CF security as he looks to get his feet on the ground? Not what he or the Brewers are hoping for but you can very easily make the case it is what is needed.

Yeah, Biloxi's OF can get pretty crowded if we're looking at Chourio, Campbell (is he healthy?), Carlos D. Rodriguez, Ward, Doston and Gray.

Either loyal soldier Gray stays behind in Wisconsin or we drop Doston down a level to give him more playing time.

But if none of them are in High-A, then Ayrault may split CF starts in Wisconsin between Perez and Cipion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClosetBrewerFan said:

These 18 players will be minor league free agents after the 2023 season.  I would expect aggressive placements of many of these and they will be rapidly promoted to see what they can do.  Free agency can be avoided if the Brewers put them on the 40 man roster.  I'm excited to see what Lutz, Ward and Rodriguez will do next year as there will be a lot of OF competition.  I expect Lutz to be at AAA and Ward and Rodriguez to start in AA (along with Chourio).

Robbie Hitt
Brent Diaz
Tristan Lutz
Max Lazar
Jevon Ward
Justin Bullock
Karlos Marales
Victor Castenada
Matt Hardy
Alex Hall
Michele Vassalotti
Ernesto Martinez
Alberis Ferrer
Israel Puello
Juan Geraldo
Carlos Rodriguez
Jesus Chirinos
Jose Acosta

I could be wrong, but unless they missed their first year on the IL, I think Castaneda, Hall and everyone Martinez and below are free agents after 2024.