Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Interested in Kolten Wong

Jastro

32 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

It's that time of year where not much happens, Winter Meeting start Dec. 4 so at this point everyone is really just putting feelers out all over the place. With Stearns it didn't seem like we were allowed to do anything until Late Jan or Feb., maybe Arnold won't be as patient and make us wait so long for moves.

Not always. I remember the Urias/Grisham/Lauer trade was made like the day before Thanksgiving. And then Avi Garcia was signed shortly thereafter. 

1 hour ago, DR28 said:

Yea Wong will be gone… So where just gonna do nothing with the cash saved from Renfroe, Wong, Box and Suter, arent we??

The FO and Ownership are going to do jack this offseason.  It will be more of the same garbage reclamation projects hoping to strike gold.  However, I'm sure they will sign a player who hasn't played in the majors since the Carter administration and was bagging groceries last year.  Mark will go on air saying how he stretch the budget to do this to take a bite of the apple and be opportunistic in biting the apple to ensure we have future apples to be opportunistic on.  

Meanwhile in less than 2 years we will have the great pleasure of seeing Burnes in a Dodger uniform and Woody in a Braves uniform and Yelich hitting grounders to second off them.  

But hey we made the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 years.  1982 as good as it got for this franchise.  We are the modern-day St Louis Browns which is fitting since the Browns where the original Milwaukee Brewers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Raises in arby, decline in attendence, hopefully an extension for Woody, Burnes, or Adames.

I don't get why the Dodgers would want Wong I get the article on mlbtraderumors said to shift Lux to 3B but that seems strange to me. Hopefully with Wong we try and get the best prospect/player we can instead of the 3 lesser players idea. Our system is pretty deep, time to up the quality where possible.

6 hours ago, BlightyBrew said:

The FO and Ownership are going to do jack this offseason.  It will be more of the same garbage reclamation projects hoping to strike gold.  However, I'm sure they will sign a player who hasn't played in the majors since the Carter administration and was bagging groceries last year.  Mark will go on air saying how he stretch the budget to do this to take a bite of the apple and be opportunistic in biting the apple to ensure we have future apples to be opportunistic on.  

Meanwhile in less than 2 years we will have the great pleasure of seeing Burnes in a Dodger uniform and Woody in a Braves uniform and Yelich hitting grounders to second off them.  

But hey we made the playoffs the last 4 out of 5 years.  1982 as good as it got for this franchise.  We are the modern-day St Louis Browns which is fitting since the Browns where the original Milwaukee Brewers.

This team, organizationally, is set-up to win far into the future, thanks to the teams re-built infrastructure, and skill level of the FO. Think Cleveland Guardians, the team I believe we are mimicking. 

We have the high-end positional athletes ready to roster this year, just like Cleveland of the last year and a half. Pitching-wise we are behind them, but only because we don’t have the upper-minors starting pitching they have, but that will change pretty quickly with the trades of Burnes and or Woodruff and or Lauer.

Big bullpen disparity as well, but that can change in a hurry, especially with some of the arms being accumulated by Arnold.

Cleveland’s future is set, with having the young, talented big-league team AND at the same time a monster farm system. Once ownership starts to augment their team with a payroll— look-out.

We are a year, maybe 2, behind Cleveland, but I like the high-end positional talent of our OF better than any group of positionals on their team.

Bottom-line — this team’s future is just as bright as Cleveland’s and we have as good of a chance to win a title as any SM team in baseball does over the next 5-10 years. 

18 minutes ago, SF70 said:

This team, organizationally, is set-up to win far into the future, thanks to the teams re-built infrastructure, and skill level of the FO. Think Cleveland Guardians, the team I believe we are mimicking. 

We have the high-end positional athletes ready to roster this year, just like Cleveland of the last year and a half. Pitching-wise we are behind them, but only because we don’t have the upper-minors starting pitching they have, but that will change pretty quickly with the trades of Burnes and or Woodruff and or Lauer.

Big bullpen disparity as well, but that can change in a hurry, especially with some of the arms being accumulated by Arnold.

Cleveland’s future is set, with having the young, talented big-league team AND at the same time a monster farm system. Once ownership starts to augment their team with a payroll— look-out.

We are a year, maybe 2, behind Cleveland, but I like the high-end positional talent of our OF better than any group of positionals on their team.

Bottom-line — this team’s future is just as bright as Cleveland’s and we have as good of a chance to win a title as any SM team in baseball does over the next 5-10 years. 

I hope you are right, but I don't see it. 

30 minutes ago, BlightyBrew said:

I hope you are right, but I don't see it. 

I certainly understand the pessimism after the underwhelming season this past summer, but there are still plenty of reasons to be optimistic about that ballclub. I very much expect Arnold to make a move that most would categorize as "big" in at attempt to start putting his stamp on the team and drive excitement (i.e. ticket sales). Plus I have to think that Mark A. and the front office know that with the starting pitching they have, they have an opportunity to make some noise should they secure a playoff berth. If they simply sit on what they have, and run basically the same team out there (sans Renfroe), I'm going to be disappointed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bensheeps said:

Kolten Wong to Seattle for Chris Flexen proposed this morning on The Athletic.   https://theathletic.com/3958391/2022/12/02/mariners-brewers-trade-proposal-chris-flexen-kolten-wong/

Actually more importantly, nice to see Will Sammon helping with a Brewers article on the site!

Not sure how trading Wong for a replacement level pitcher making $8 million makes any sense for the Brewers.

• Like 1

I hope  you are all right about the Brewers but color me Pessimistic starting with the Aug move.

I understand cutting Salary if this team going Young  but you have a very good starting rotation now so why not go all in to win your First WS. I feel like the Brewers will have to Trade the top two starters because they can/t afford them and hopefully Arnold can get a boatload of help back. I also Hope Matt makes his mark on this team but think we going to be upset once he does.

• Like 1

I'd pass on Flexen for a prospect, for me Houser is a better version of Flexen making less money. Houser just needs to throw the heater a bit less often. 

I agree we should be optimistic, Wong and Renfroe are replaceable. It might take a bit for to adjust to big league pitching but we can easily replace both and potentially get better if the young players play top end defense. This team is really a middle of the order hitter and some bullpen pieces away from having a contending roster. Even if we trade one of Woody, Burnes, or Adames we can still put together a contending team with a few fix-it moves. If the Brewers of the past 7-8 years let 2 of our better bats go it would have meant rebuild however our system is so much better and we can do a lot by buying and selling at the same time.

Justin Turner on a one (maybe two) year deal would be an interesting consideration if we do in fact go ahead and trade Wong. Turner's obviously not what he once was, but his numbers from last year would still fit really well on this team and our efforts to transition to a more contact-oriented offensive unit.  Move Urias to 2B and then you would have a pretty good infield with Turner at 3B and Adames at SS. Turang also wouldn't have the pressure of an immediate starting spot and could take on the Jace Peterson role. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Justin Turner on a one (maybe two) year deal would be an interesting consideration if we do in fact go ahead and trade Wong. Turner's obviously not what he once was, but his numbers from last year would still fit really well on this team and our efforts to transition to a more contact-oriented offensive unit.  Move Urias to 2B and then you would have a pretty good infield with Turner at 3B and Adames at SS. Turang also wouldn't have the pressure of an immediate starting spot and could take on the Jace Peterson role. 

Man, Turner is still a pretty damn good hitter... I would gladly take him at 3B, if rumors were true last winter that we were after him... Gotta imagine the interest is still there to sign him, give him 1 yr deal with option for 2nd year... He would greatly improve our lineup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Starting to be too much smoke now for a fire not to break out. With the news this morning of other teams being interested, I imagine this gets done by the time the Winter Meetings start.

It's done.... Winker and another

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
1 hour ago, DR28 said:

Man, Turner is still a pretty damn good hitter... I would gladly take him at 3B, if rumors were true last winter that we were after him... Gotta imagine the interest is still there to sign him, give him 1 yr deal with option for 2nd year... He would greatly improve our lineup.

I've read that the Dodgers were really down on Turner in the field. He played half of his games at DH. Still a quality hitter - but the signs of decline are there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, reillymcshane said:

I've read that the Dodgers were really down on Turner in the field. He played half of his games at DH. Still a quality hitter - but the signs of decline are there.

Got it... Alright give me Brian Anderson at 3B and we're set since just found our DH.