Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Interested in Kolten Wong

Jastro

Community Moderator

I would be surprised to see the Mariners give up a prospect for 1 year of Wong. There are plenty of other options for 2B, they might end up signing Segura if they can't find a 2B in a trade. The Brewers can also ride with Wong. The Mariners' bigger need is to clear their outfield logjam which is why the Brewers are an intriguing fit. Especially if Kelenic is available. Kelenic makes a ton of sense for the Brewers. I'll be over the moon if they land him, even if they have to give up more than Wong to get him. 

I watched more Mariners than Brewers baseball last year and I've really grown to like Kelenic and I'm pulling for him to turn it around. I don't know if he's going to get enough playing time to do so on the 2023 Mariners and he has nothing left to prove at AAA. His struggles appear to be mostly mental. Bringing him home to Wisconsin to be managed by Counsell is exactly what he needs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, owbc said:

I would be surprised to see the Mariners give up a prospect for 1 year of Wong. There are plenty of other options for 2B, they might end up signing Segura if they can't find a 2B in a trade. The Brewers can also ride with Wong. The Mariners' bigger need is to clear their outfield logjam which is why the Brewers are an intriguing fit. Especially if Kelenic is available. Kelenic makes a ton of sense for the Brewers. I'll be over the moon if they land him, even if they have to give up more than Wong to get him. 

I watched more Mariners than Brewers baseball last year and I've really grown to like Kelenic and I'm pulling for him to turn it around. I don't know if he's going to get enough playing time to do so on the 2023 Mariners and he has nothing left to prove at AAA. His struggles appear to be mostly mental. Bringing him home to Wisconsin to be managed by Counsell is exactly what he needs. 

It would be great to bring him home, but is it worth acquiring him at the expense of playing time for Frelick, Mitchell, and Wiemer? I would say probably not.

• Like 2

BRef has Wong over 3WAR each playing for the Brewers last 2 seasons.  He was worth over 5WAR in 2019.  10mil for what is a 3WAR 2b with 5 possible is certainly a reason for the Mariners to trade for Wong for a prospect/s.  

I seen Winker as an option. Guy had a brutal year last defensively that his positive defense he carried for his career was waxed and turned negative. I'm not sure where you're putting him without ridding of Renfroe.  There's the salary you're taking on that feels the Mariners need to add a top 5 prospect of theirs.

I can't really find another ML player to trade for that makes sense. Kelenic is an OF making the what 6? Brewer OFs in the pipeline down a notch.  I just dont understand trading for OFs when you're set there for the next 5+seasons.  You are also set at SP for 2+ seasons maybe more. Prospect? Sure. ML experience no need.

Having looked this over more I'm pretty sure it's going to be a win for Sea and a headscratcher for Milw.

Dylan Moore and a prospect wouldn't be to bad. Moore would be a high end utility player like Peterson for a couple years. As for non high end prospect my favorite in the M's system is Prelander Berroa. Berroa is a Freddy Peralta clone, 5'11", mid 90's heater, solid slider, high strikeouts and a too many walks as a prospect.

1 hour ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

BRef has Wong over 3WAR each playing for the Brewers last 2 seasons.  He was worth over 5WAR in 2019.  10mil for what is a 3WAR 2b with 5 possible is certainly a reason for the Mariners to trade for Wong for a prospect/s.  

I seen Winker as an option. Guy had a brutal year last defensively that his positive defense he carried for his career was waxed and turned negative. I'm not sure where you're putting him without ridding of Renfroe.  There's the salary you're taking on that feels the Mariners need to add a top 5 prospect of theirs.

I can't really find another ML player to trade for that makes sense. Kelenic is an OF making the what 6? Brewer OFs in the pipeline down a notch.  I just dont understand trading for OFs when you're set there for the next 5+seasons.  You are also set at SP for 2+ seasons maybe more. Prospect? Sure. ML experience no need.

Having looked this over more I'm pretty sure it's going to be a win for Sea and a headscratcher for Milw.

Agreed on Winker, I wouldnt be opposed. However he can only be a DH, which means Yeli in left 1 more year and likely trading Renfroe. In order to do that I would want a very good prospect to take the risk of downgrading from Renfroe to Winker. I would like Bryce Miller as the higher end (but not top 2) prospect.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't see getting much for Wong. Just a low level prospect. He has value - but he also costs $10m. Just not that valuable of a trade chip. He's not worthless, mind you, but not going to fetch a lot. 

I go back to the Adam Lind deal. One year of the guy for three A ball pitchers - welcome Freddy Peralta. 

If the team is ready to give Turang a job (or have some other plan), then great. Get what you can. Picking up his option and dealing Kolten would - at a minimum - save us $2m.

• Like 1

Community Moderator

I don’t think the Mariners will part with Dylan Moore, they would platoon him with Wong. Which is too bad because Moore is the kind of guy that the Brewers love to have on their roster.

I guess I sort of see the appeal of Winker, at least the Cincinnati version of him, but he was really bad in 2022. If it wasn’t for drawing a kajillion walks he would have been entirely useless. The guy is just not a good baseball player — bad defender, bad baserunner, and at least in 2022 he was a bad hitter as well. Pitchers are going to throw him more strikes in the future. 

Maybe he was a bad fit in Seattle but almost everyone else who has played for Servais has thrived. So Mariners fans strongly suspect that he was the problem and would be overjoyed to get a return like Wong for Winker. 

18 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Dylan Moore and a prospect wouldn't be to bad. Moore would be a high end utility player like Peterson for a couple years. As for non high end prospect my favorite in the M's system is Prelander Berroa. Berroa is a Freddy Peralta clone, 5'11", mid 90's heater, solid slider, high strikeouts and a too many walks as a prospect.

Looking through the top prospect list, Berroa was the name I came up with as well. He’s their #15 prospect per MLB.com and he looks to be MLB-ready. Fastball/slider guy who they say may be best suited to the bullpen. 

Unless the Brewers pick up some salary, I don’t see Wong having a lot of trade value. Berroa could be a decent arm who could help right away, while saving the Brewers $10M for upgrades elsewhere, and opening up a spot for Turang.

• Like 1

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

5 hours ago, monty57 said:

Looking through the top prospect list, Berroa was the name I came up with as well. He’s their #15 prospect per MLB.com and he looks to be MLB-ready. Fastball/slider guy who they say may be best suited to the bullpen. 

Unless the Brewers pick up some salary, I don’t see Wong having a lot of trade value. Berroa could be a decent arm who could help right away, while saving the Brewers $10M for upgrades elsewhere, and opening up a spot for Turang.

"Unless they pick up some salary"?

Wong is a near 4WAR player. Paid at 10mil?  He bats like he did last season and plays defense like in '21 he's a 5+WAR player.  I said it earlier for those who do that trade value site, what does that amount to?  I'd take the value and add 5-8mil depending on am I getting whom I want or is the other team? So if I'm not getting what I want, they are paying more value to entice me to take their offer.

Jesus. I decided to look it up myself. Some how a player a virtual lock for 3WAR at 10mil is just 100k of trade value.  .1!    BRef War above 3 puts Wong in top 10 of 2b. And he's at 5years running doing such.  I imagine that projection model puts Wong for that age adjusted 1.4WAR to decide his trade value is .1.

18 hours ago, owbc said:

I don’t think the Mariners will part with Dylan Moore, they would platoon him with Wong. Which is too bad because Moore is the kind of guy that the Brewers love to have on their roster.

I guess I sort of see the appeal of Winker, at least the Cincinnati version of him, but he was really bad in 2022. If it wasn’t for drawing a kajillion walks he would have been entirely useless. The guy is just not a good baseball player — bad defender, bad baserunner, and at least in 2022 he was a bad hitter as well. Pitchers are going to throw him more strikes in the future. 

Maybe he was a bad fit in Seattle but almost everyone else who has played for Servais has thrived. So Mariners fans strongly suspect that he was the problem and would be overjoyed to get a return like Wong for Winker. 

Winker posted a 108 wRC+ last season. While that's a down year from his career 126 wRC+, he's not a bad hitter.

1 hour ago, owbc said:

Sounds like the Mariners are casting a wide net. They must have been too far apart from the Brewers in whatever initial talks took place.

Pretty sure this needed to be done and said. One of the first arguments against trading youth for a player has to be, of theres FAs who are quality, why not just pay them and save the prospects.

Well yeah we also have reached out to Torres and Turner.  Is Seattle a place free agents want to go to?

I'd expect a team who takes interest in Wong such as the Mariners could look at extending a contract beyond for 2-3 years being his mid-level cost yet consistency. Mariners don't seem to have a clear 2b coming up in minors.

Community Moderator
4 minutes ago, brewcrewdue80 said:

Pretty sure this needed to be done and said. One of the first arguments against trading youth for a player has to be, of theres FAs who are quality, why not just pay them and save the prospects.

Well yeah we also have reached out to Torres and Turner.  Is Seattle a place free agents want to go to?

I'd expect a team who takes interest in Wong such as the Mariners could look at extending a contract beyond for 2-3 years being his mid-level cost yet consistency. Mariners don't seem to have a clear 2b coming up in minors.

FAs generally sign where they get the biggest payday.

I still think Seattle is a good landing spot for Wong and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there. The question is whether Seattle wants the 'budget conscious' platoon solution or if they want to spend the big bucks for a splashier signing. And if they are willing to give up a prospect for Wong which I assume is what the Brewers want as opposed to what the Mariners have been shopping (OF and #5 starting pitchers).

1 hour ago, owbc said:

Sounds like the Mariners are casting a wide net. They must have been too far apart from the Brewers in whatever initial talks took place.

It's that time of year where not much happens, Winter Meeting start Dec. 4 so at this point everyone is really just putting feelers out all over the place. With Stearns it didn't seem like we were allowed to do anything until Late Jan or Feb., maybe Arnold won't be as patient and make us wait so long for moves.