Brewer Fanatic

Sean Murphy

Chicago sports radio was discussing Sean Murphy as a trade target for the White Sox yesterday.  Supposedly there are at least a half dozen teams inquiring about him.  I have to think the Brewers could be one of them and with their talent in the high minors, they should be able to outbid a team like the White Sox.  Murphy is in his prime, isn't eligible for FA until 2026, is a good defensive catcher and a solid bat so it's going to take a pretty good package.  His 3.5 WAR on B-R last season led Oakland.  The fact that Brewers picked up Henry, could signal that Feliciano is being included in packages to acquire a veteran catcher via trade.

Murphy would be nice but I would think he will get a big package in return. In the neighborhood of 2 top 100 prospects and 1 or 2 other nice pieces. I personally wouldn't give up a haul of prospects for him, a package like Weimer, Turang, and Gasser seems like a lot. If we had more highly thought of prospects in A/AA ball it could make sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Murphy would be nice but I would think he will get a big package in return. In the neighborhood of 2 top 100 prospects and 1 or 2 other nice pieces. I personally wouldn't give up a haul of prospects for him, a package like Weimer, Turang, and Gasser seems like a lot. If we had more highly thought of prospects in A/AA ball it could make sense.

There's this Chourio fellow.  :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Chourio, Quero, Misiorowski??? Not that I'd want to trade Chourio, of course, but we have plenty of lower minor league talent. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Yeah we aren't trading chourio for Murphy, so I kind of left him out. Quero could be a peice, Misi probably has very low trade value until he gets some full games in.

Misiorowski was drafted in the 2nd round and hits 100mph. He has value. That value probably fluctuates greatly from team to team, so if you find the right trading partner, you might get more than he's worth.

6 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Yeah we aren't trading chourio for Murphy, so I kind of left him out. Quero could be a peice, Misi probably has very low trade value until he gets some full games in.

The Brewers aren’t trading Quero or Misiorowski.  After Misiorowski’s strike-throwing, jaw dropping performance at instructs and Quero’s performance in the AFL, they are both about as untouchable as Chourio.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SF70 said:

The Brewers aren’t trading Quero or Misiorowski.  After Misiorowski’s strike-throwing, jaw dropping performance at instructs and Quero’s performance in the AFL, they are both about as untouchable as Chourio.

I love Quero and Misiorowski, but Chourio is as untouchable as it gets in the entire game. Not that I think the Brewers would trade them unless they get a significant, controllable piece in return, but they're not beyond the realm of possibility of trading to the extent that Chourio is. 

29 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I love Quero and Misiorowski, but Chourio is as untouchable as it gets in the entire game. Not that I think the Brewers would trade them unless they get a significant, controllable piece in return, but they're not beyond the realm of possibility of trading to the extent that Chourio is. 

Non-zero sure, but so remote it’s not even worth discussing at this time. Things change, but right now both look to be future mainstays for this team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Misiorowski was drafted in the 2nd round and hits 100mph. He has value. That value probably fluctuates greatly from team to team, so if you find the right trading partner, you might get more than he's worth.

Teams would just give us a 2nd round value on Misi, not the value of a 6'7 190 lbs projectable arm that can hit 100. He has way way more value to us than anyone else.

11 hours ago, jay87shot said:

Teams would just give us a 2nd round value on Misi, not the value of a 6'7 190 lbs projectable arm that can hit 100. He has way way more value to us than anyone else.

Doubtful. He was considered a steal at the time the Brewers picked him, and his projectability has only risen with what he showed in instructs and his tiny taste of A ball. Doubt the Brewers would even consider trading him, though, unless it was as part of a package for a major needle-mover.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jay87shot said:

That assumes that every team has a lower estimation of Misiorowski than the Brewers do. Of course it's impossible to know for sure, but it seems unlikely. One of the rules of trading is to trade guys that the other team values more than you do.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, JohnBriggs12 said:

Vasquez has plenty of suitors including some big market teams.  It's going to take a significant overpay to get him.

Many of the same teams in on Vasquez have been mentioned in connection with Murphy.

It could take a significant overpay to get him. 

48 minutes ago, brewmann04 said:

Better hopeVictor Mario hold down the fort 

I wouldn’t go there yet. There’s still options out there. 

But if that’s the direction the FO wants to take they would have been better off trading Burnes, Woodruff, and/or Adames.

40 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

But if that’s the direction the FO wants to take they would have been better off trading Burnes, Woodruff, and/or Adames.

Yeah, there's no way they're not adding a catcher with ML experience.

43 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. You either maximize these next 2 years with those 3 or what is the point?