Brewer Fanatic

Article: Potential First Base Free Agent Targets: Jose Abreu and Josh Bell

DuWayne Steurer

8 hours ago, endaround said:

Tellez Steamer projection: wRC+ 123.  Basically his power remains but his BABIP gets back to a decent .258 instead of .215.

Abreau wRC+ 126

Bell wRC+ 123

The free agent that makes the most sense at this point is Contreras. Turner also makes sense but little chance he leaves LA.

Yeah....I'd much rather have Contreras. I'd rather have Judge as well. I don't really see Contreras being a realistic target though. 

He wants 5/100 and given the state of catching...that doesn't seem like a reach. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, endaround said:

Tellez Steamer projection: wRC+ 123.  Basically his power remains but his BABIP gets back to a decent .258 instead of .215.

Abreau wRC+ 126

Bell wRC+ 123

The free agent that makes the most sense at this point is Contreras. Turner also makes sense but little chance he leaves LA.

Yeah....I'd much rather have Contreras. I'd rather have Judge as well. I don't really see Contreras being a realistic target though. 

He wants 5/100 and given the state of catching...that doesn't seem like a reach. 

The more I look at it, the less I'm convinced that Josh Bell would be an upgrade over Rowdy Tellez. For example, Rowdy is projected by Steamer to have the same wRC+ as Bell and a higher WAR than Bell. Even Abreu would only be a relatively marginal upgrade. Rowdy is set to be perhaps the biggest beneficiary in baseball of the shift ban, in addition to a likely reversion to the mean with his BABIP. So, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use our limited resources to shore up a different aspect of the team, perhaps C, RP, or SP depth...

The more I look at it, the less I'm convinced that Josh Bell would be an upgrade over Rowdy Tellez. For example, Rowdy is projected by Steamer to have the same wRC+ as Bell and a higher WAR than Bell. Even Abreu would only be a relatively marginal upgrade. Rowdy is set to be perhaps the biggest beneficiary in baseball of the shift ban, in addition to a likely reversion to the mean with his BABIP. So, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to use our limited resources to shore up a different aspect of the team, perhaps C, RP, or SP depth...

55 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

God I would love for us to go after Contreras! But I know it won't happen.

But my god, just thinking about... Frelick/Yelich/Adames/Tellez/Contreras/Renfroe/Wong/Urias/Mitchell oh my!!

55 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

God I would love for us to go after Contreras! But I know it won't happen.

But my god, just thinking about... Frelick/Yelich/Adames/Tellez/Contreras/Renfroe/Wong/Urias/Mitchell oh my!!

3 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Abreu or Bell wouldn't be replacing Tellez. They'd be replacing McCutchen and his 98 wRC+ last year.

3 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Abreu or Bell wouldn't be replacing Tellez. They'd be replacing McCutchen and his 98 wRC+ last year.

7 hours ago, UpandIn said:

It's hard to sift through all the contradictions. It's funny that Lauer is a #3...but it'd hurt so much to lose him?

Renfroe is going to be non-tendered...so then he'd already be gone, right?

And no, I didn't say that was a good idea. If they're going to non-tender Renfroe like you're say and if they bring in Abreu over Tellez, that's a pretty big upgrade.

You're the one who came up with this either or all on your own. I simply pointed out we wouldn't just be losing all three players for nothing. 

I'll put is so simply even you would understand.  Weimer, Abreau and some reliever would NOT be an upgrade over Renfroe, Tellez and Lauer.  Plus the Abreau variation would cost more money.

7 hours ago, UpandIn said:

It's hard to sift through all the contradictions. It's funny that Lauer is a #3...but it'd hurt so much to lose him?

Renfroe is going to be non-tendered...so then he'd already be gone, right?

And no, I didn't say that was a good idea. If they're going to non-tender Renfroe like you're say and if they bring in Abreu over Tellez, that's a pretty big upgrade.

You're the one who came up with this either or all on your own. I simply pointed out we wouldn't just be losing all three players for nothing. 

I'll put is so simply even you would understand.  Weimer, Abreau and some reliever would NOT be an upgrade over Renfroe, Tellez and Lauer.  Plus the Abreau variation would cost more money.

12 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I think there’s room for both Tellez and Abreu/Bell. This team could really use some right-handed pop in the middle of the order. Just swap out Hiura, whose reverse splits make him redundant alongside Tellez. 

12 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I think there’s room for both Tellez and Abreu/Bell. This team could really use some right-handed pop in the middle of the order. Just swap out Hiura, whose reverse splits make him redundant alongside Tellez. 

47 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Right ... I doubt the Brewers are looking to replace Tellez outright. This would be moreso a replacement for McCutchen's bat in the lineup, but instead of fitting into the defensive alignment as a poor part-time fill-in outfielder who mashes lefties, Abreu/Bell would fit as as a poor part-time fill-in 1B who mashes lefties.

47 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Right ... I doubt the Brewers are looking to replace Tellez outright. This would be moreso a replacement for McCutchen's bat in the lineup, but instead of fitting into the defensive alignment as a poor part-time fill-in outfielder who mashes lefties, Abreu/Bell would fit as as a poor part-time fill-in 1B who mashes lefties.

Bell hasn't really been a lefy masher throughout his career, would be a bad allocation of resources in my opinion. I think Abreu would fit great on this team if they could obtain him for one or two years. The risk is there for a swift decline because of age but could really use that right handed bat that actually hits against left handed and right handed pitchers. I'm not the biggest Tellez fan but do recognize his stats could see a nice uptick next year combining new rules and better luck.

Bell hasn't really been a lefy masher throughout his career, would be a bad allocation of resources in my opinion. I think Abreu would fit great on this team if they could obtain him for one or two years. The risk is there for a swift decline because of age but could really use that right handed bat that actually hits against left handed and right handed pitchers. I'm not the biggest Tellez fan but do recognize his stats could see a nice uptick next year combining new rules and better luck.

44 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

The wording here made me LOL. 

44 minutes ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

The wording here made me LOL. 

I would be more open to taking that money and extending our current pitching staff. Use our Depth in the outfield to trade for a third baseman like Diaz or Paredes from TB

We could actually trade Tyrone Taylor for one of those guys based off the simulator

Depending on if we trade Renfroe, we can still get a veteran DH and a Catcher 

I would be more open to taking that money and extending our current pitching staff. Use our Depth in the outfield to trade for a third baseman like Diaz or Paredes from TB

We could actually trade Tyrone Taylor for one of those guys based off the simulator

Depending on if we trade Renfroe, we can still get a veteran DH and a Catcher 

All this talk of replacing Rowdy with guys who "might" be better, and we are still planning on going into the season with Urias at 3B?  Why in the hell does this organization continue to ignore 3B?  Urias isn't the guy, he just isn't.

If we are going to spend $ on Abreu or Bell, I think it's foolish when we still do not have a 3B on the roster.

All this talk of replacing Rowdy with guys who "might" be better, and we are still planning on going into the season with Urias at 3B?  Why in the hell does this organization continue to ignore 3B?  Urias isn't the guy, he just isn't.

If we are going to spend $ on Abreu or Bell, I think it's foolish when we still do not have a 3B on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I think there's a pretty solid chance that, depending on what happens with Wong, and if Turang proves capable of hitting MLB pitching, the team's 3B of at least the immediate future is already on the roster. He's currently playing SS though. Urias has the chops to play 2B, and Adames definitely would be able to handle 3B.

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I think there's a pretty solid chance that, depending on what happens with Wong, and if Turang proves capable of hitting MLB pitching, the team's 3B of at least the immediate future is already on the roster. He's currently playing SS though. Urias has the chops to play 2B, and Adames definitely would be able to handle 3B.

There are not quality third basemen available. I guess Justin Turner may fall into that category but he is declining offensively and defensively and has trouble staying on the field as well getting older. Abreu is more of a DH and the Brewers do need somebody there.