Brewer Fanatic

Article: Potential First Base Free Agent Targets: Jose Abreu and Josh Bell

DuWayne Steurer

48 minutes ago, Lajitas said:

MLBtraderumors projects Abreu to get 2/$40 M and Bell to get 4/$64.  To get there, that means Renfroe, Tellez and one of Houser/Lauer would have to go.  Is either truly enough of an upgrade over Rowdy?

Abreu is, if age doesn't start to bite him.  But not at the cost of all those players you listed, unless they could be packaged to get an top player.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I think opinions (and the stats) will change on Tellez starting next season....

Agreed, saw something on Twitter that Rowdy was 2nd in of all MLB for hits taken away because of shift or something like that... I cant remember the exact wording but his AVG would have been 30 points higher.

Think we have found our answer at 1B.

56 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

I think opinions (and the stats) will change on Tellez starting next season....

Agreed, saw something on Twitter that Rowdy was 2nd in of all MLB for hits taken away because of shift or something like that... I cant remember the exact wording but his AVG would have been 30 points higher.

Think we have found our answer at 1B.

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

Abreu is, if age doesn't start to bite him.  But not at the cost of all those players you listed, unless they could be packaged to get an top player.

Only if that top player is coming in at the league minimum.

1 hour ago, Robocaller said:

Only if that top player is coming in at the league minimum.

13 hours ago, Lajitas said:

MLBtraderumors projects Abreu to get 2/$40 M and Bell to get 4/$64.  To get there, that means Renfroe, Tellez and one of Houser/Lauer would have to go.  Is either truly enough of an upgrade over Rowdy?

OR it could just mean the Brewers are taking the additional revenue from revenue sharing to spend on Abreu.

Or they're pushing their payroll up a bit as Attanasio said they were capable of last year. 

BUT, lets so you do hypothetically trade Renfroe, Lauer and Tellez. You're not just losing those 3-4 players. It's not like you'd non-tender them. 
Renfroe-Wiemer gets into the lineup, adds much better defense, speed. Likely falls well short of his offensive output, but you still come out ahead with Jose Abreu, pretty much the perfect fit on the market who's at all reasonable. 

Lauer-You don't have an in-house replacement, but 2 years left of a #3 caliber pitcher would...or SHOULD definitely net you at least one valuable high leverage reliever at the very least.

Rowdy-You get Abreu to replace him, and you get back...I don't know, a lottery ticket. 

13 hours ago, Lajitas said:

OR it could just mean the Brewers are taking the additional revenue from revenue sharing to spend on Abreu.

Or they're pushing their payroll up a bit as Attanasio said they were capable of last year. 

BUT, lets so you do hypothetically trade Renfroe, Lauer and Tellez. You're not just losing those 3-4 players. It's not like you'd non-tender them. 
Renfroe-Wiemer gets into the lineup, adds much better defense, speed. Likely falls well short of his offensive output, but you still come out ahead with Jose Abreu, pretty much the perfect fit on the market who's at all reasonable. 

Lauer-You don't have an in-house replacement, but 2 years left of a #3 caliber pitcher would...or SHOULD definitely net you at least one valuable high leverage reliever at the very least.

Rowdy-You get Abreu to replace him, and you get back...I don't know, a lottery ticket. 

10 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Babe Ruth kinda looked like he was on a beer league softball team (when he was older but still dominant).

LOL...of course. Beer and Hot Dogs. 

I don't need a shirtless calendar from my team. I don't care if you're fat if you can hit. 

I wasn't really bothered by Prince or CC's physique!

10 hours ago, Robocaller said:

Babe Ruth kinda looked like he was on a beer league softball team (when he was older but still dominant).

I don't need a shirtless calendar from my team. I don't care if you're fat if you can hit. 

Tellez Steamer projection: wRC+ 123.  Basically his power remains but his BABIP gets back to a decent .258 instead of .215.

Abreau wRC+ 126

Bell wRC+ 123

The free agent that makes the most sense at this point is Contreras. Turner also makes sense but little chance he leaves LA.

Tellez Steamer projection: wRC+ 123.  Basically his power remains but his BABIP gets back to a decent .258 instead of .215.

Abreau wRC+ 126

Bell wRC+ 123

The free agent that makes the most sense at this point is Contreras. Turner also makes sense but little chance he leaves LA.

I think this is all moot now with Singleton on the 40 man roster now and some of MA comments.  The Brewers are going to go with Tellez/Singleton at 1B/DH.  Seems to me that they are not going to be looking for any outside offensive help at these positions.  They feel Singleton K rate will be a great asset to get us to the top spot of leading the NL in strikeouts.  Bonus is that  Singleton hasn't played in the majors for the last 8 years (perfect fit for the mantra of the franchise...Is Axford still around?) but when you have the opportunity to add that quality of a player you push the budget out and take a bite of the apple.  Who needs Abreau or Bell.

I think this is all moot now with Singleton on the 40 man roster now and some of MA comments.  The Brewers are going to go with Tellez/Singleton at 1B/DH.  Seems to me that they are not going to be looking for any outside offensive help at these positions.  They feel Singleton K rate will be a great asset to get us to the top spot of leading the NL in strikeouts.  Bonus is that  Singleton hasn't played in the majors for the last 8 years (perfect fit for the mantra of the franchise...Is Axford still around?) but when you have the opportunity to add that quality of a player you push the budget out and take a bite of the apple.  Who needs Abreau or Bell.

1 minute ago, BlightyBrew said:

Yep agreed, we arent spending **** on offense once again.

1 minute ago, BlightyBrew said:

Yep agreed, we arent spending **** on offense once again.

3 hours ago, UpandIn said:

Renfroe is already a prominent mention on most possible non-tender lists, so he ain't bringing back much in trade.

Lauer as a #3?  HA.  And have you seen the market on relievers lately?  The going rate on a "valuable high leverage reliever" is about the same as Lauer will be making, if not more

So you think it's a good idea to take Renfroe, Tellez and Lauer off the team, replacing them with a 35 year-old making $20 M and a rookie that doesn't have a single MLB appearance, while weakening the depth at starting pitcher.  And spending more money.  But we do add a set-up reliever.  And a lottery pick prospect.

3 hours ago, UpandIn said:

Renfroe is already a prominent mention on most possible non-tender lists, so he ain't bringing back much in trade.

Lauer as a #3?  HA.  And have you seen the market on relievers lately?  The going rate on a "valuable high leverage reliever" is about the same as Lauer will be making, if not more

So you think it's a good idea to take Renfroe, Tellez and Lauer off the team, replacing them with a 35 year-old making $20 M and a rookie that doesn't have a single MLB appearance, while weakening the depth at starting pitcher.  And spending more money.  But we do add a set-up reliever.  And a lottery pick prospect.

9 hours ago, UpandIn said:

John Kruk (I think it was him) did an interview on a late night talk show. The host referred to him as an athlete. He said something like: Athlete? I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player.

9 hours ago, UpandIn said:

John Kruk (I think it was him) did an interview on a late night talk show. The host referred to him as an athlete. He said something like: Athlete? I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player.

7 hours ago, Lajitas said:

It's hard to sift through all the contradictions. It's funny that Lauer is a #3...but it'd hurt so much to lose him?

Renfroe is going to be non-tendered...so then he'd already be gone, right?

And no, I didn't say that was a good idea. If they're going to non-tender Renfroe like you're say and if they bring in Abreu over Tellez, that's a pretty big upgrade.

You're the one who came up with this either or all on your own. I simply pointed out we wouldn't just be losing all three players for nothing. 

7 hours ago, Lajitas said:

It's hard to sift through all the contradictions. It's funny that Lauer is a #3...but it'd hurt so much to lose him?

Renfroe is going to be non-tendered...so then he'd already be gone, right?

And no, I didn't say that was a good idea. If they're going to non-tender Renfroe like you're say and if they bring in Abreu over Tellez, that's a pretty big upgrade.

You're the one who came up with this either or all on your own. I simply pointed out we wouldn't just be losing all three players for nothing.