Brewer Fanatic

World Cup 2022

Brewcrew82

Figured this deserves its own thread outside of the general soccer thread, as it's only the biggest sporting event on the planet. Will be interesting to see whether the fact that it's being played in December, as opposed to its usual June/July date, will have any material impact on the product. I suspect there won't be that significant of a difference, with the major European leagues squarely in the middle of their seasons. If anything, I'm really looking forward to being able to watch it over the upcoming holiday week, as the Wisconsin football teams aren't providing much entertainment value at the moment. 

As for the USMNT, I think the expectation should be to make it out of the group stage. This is a really young team and their group is one of the more difficult ones, but the level of global soccer talent is unmatched in our history and none of our group opponents, not even England, are playing at a demonstrably higher level. I especially love our midfield and attacking depth and am excited to see Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna, Musah, etc. all on the pitch at the same time, which they rarely have been over the last two years or so since the beginning of this World Cup cycle. Obviously, striker remains a concern, and injuries have really eaten at our center-back depth, but, all things considered, I think things are looking up. This tournament will hopefully be the launching point for an even deeper run on home soil in 2026. 

If I had to pick a team to win it all, it would have to be Argentina. They're the reigning South American champs and are coming off a complete demolition of the European champs, Italy, in Europe this past summer. It only seems right that Messi would end what will almost certainly be the final World Cup of his legendary career with the trophy held high. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Figured this deserves its own thread outside of the general soccer thread, as it's only the biggest sporting event on the planet. Will be interesting to see whether the fact that it's being played in December, as opposed to its usual June/July date, will have any material impact on the product. I suspect there won't be that significant of a difference, with the major European leagues squarely in the middle of their seasons. If anything, I'm really looking forward to being able to watch it over the upcoming holiday week, as the Wisconsin football teams aren't providing much entertainment value at the moment. 

As for the USMNT, I think the expectation should be to make it out of the group stage. This is a really young team and their group is one of the more difficult ones, but the level of global soccer talent is unmatched in our history and none of our group opponents, not even England, are playing at a demonstrably higher level. I especially love our midfield and attacking depth and am excited to see Pulisic, McKennie, Reyna, Musah, etc. all on the pitch at the same time, which they rarely have been over the last two years or so since the beginning of this World Cup cycle. Obviously, striker remains a concern, and injuries have really eaten at our center-back depth, but, all things considered, I think things are looking up. This tournament will hopefully be the launching point for an even deeper run on home soil in 2026. 

If I had to pick a team to win it all, it would have to be Argentina. They're the reigning South American champs and are coming off a complete demolition of the European champs, Italy, in Europe this past summer. It only seems right that Messi would end what will almost certainly be the final World Cup of his legendary career with the trophy held high. 

All this seems right. I think conditions in Qatar (namely that it still might be pushing 90 most days) may have a bigger impact on level of play than the timing. US does seem to be in a good place health wise, though, so that's good.

My worry is that we tend to struggle against compact, disciplined sides that let you possess the ball and force you to break them down. Wales and Iran both fit that description. I'm with you in the sense of feeling oddly confident about the England match.

Mousah is my pick for breakout player. He is the key to Valencia and paired with Gio in midfield, I am expecting big things.

39 minutes ago, Cool Hand Lucroy said:

All this seems right. I think conditions in Qatar (namely that it still might be pushing 90 most days) may have a bigger impact on level of play than the timing. US does seem to be in a good place health wise, though, so that's good.

My worry is that we tend to struggle against compact, disciplined sides that let you possess the ball and force you to break them down. Wales and Iran both fit that description. I'm with you in the sense of feeling oddly confident about the England match.

Mousah is my pick for breakout player. He is the key to Valencia and paired with Gio in midfield, I am expecting big things.

Yeah, with the USMNT, specifically, I think there's a lot of variance about how this WC will go, largely because they're so young and inexperienced. The last two pre-World Cup friendlies in September didn't exactly inspire a ton of confidence on that score. But some key guys such as Musah and A. Robinson were injured and unavailable.... As you say, Musah is a huge piece for this team. I actually think he has the highest potential of any of our young players, with the possible exception of Reyna.  

Agreed that Wales and Iran will present a real challenge due to their playing style. Last thing we want is a repeat of the Japan match, where we continuously turned the ball over in the back-end against their press. I think we beat Wales, draw against England, and then lose to Iran. So more of the up and down that we've become accustomed to with this young group. But definitely something to build on going into 2026, when we could have a real opportunity to make a deep run. 

• Like 1

Community Moderator

I've been cheering for this whole thing to be a cluster and so far I'm getting my wish. Loved the "Queremos cerveza" chant by the Ecuador fans. 

I haven't watched any US soccer in many years so I'm excited to see today if they have made any progress or not. I have my doubts but you never know. 

3 hours ago, worm81 said:

Watching Iran play makes me feel a little better about USAs chances. I think it comes down to USA vs Wales today on getting out of the group.

Yeah. You don’t want to put yourself in a position where you need a result against England. I’m less confident about that game after watching them dismantle Iran today. It seems like they may have gotten their act together. 

Gregg did his job and finally put together an ideal-type lineup. Only ways I think it could be improved is Gio Reyna at RW opposite Pulisic and Miles Robinson at CB. But injuries obviously have obviously made that pretty much impossible. 

Hoping to see them come out significantly more inspired than they did against Japan and Saudi Arabia in September. They cannot afford to lose this game.