Brewer Fanatic

Stearns out, Click in?

alwz4gbp

It seems obvious that the Astros have their eye on someone in particular or they wouldn't have low balled Click, thus forcing him out.  Think its Stearns?  If so, do you "trade" Stearns to the Astros or do you let Arnold sink or swim and leave PBO job open?  

Personally, I don't think you can ever have too many "minds" in the front office and if hes available, why not check him out?

The owner seems to be the biggest problem in this situation but that doesn't mean Click is a great guy, either. I've become incredibly uncomfortable with the culture the Astros have built over the past decade. Sure, they win a lot but yeesh, they seem to churn out creeps on a pretty regular basis.

But if Click is a stand-up guy who can't get along with Houston's owner, he's absolutely worth a look.

Who's to say that he would be?  I'd think winning a world series vs being a rookie GM, Arnold would work for him.  Arnold only received the GM title correct?  Is Mark A going to fill the PBO role or save that to give to his next GM that wants more?  

17 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

The owner seems to be the biggest problem in this situation but that doesn't mean Click is a great guy, either. I've become incredibly uncomfortable with the culture the Astros have built over the past decade. Sure, they win a lot but yeesh, they seem to churn out creeps on a pretty regular basis.

But if Click is a stand-up guy who can't get along with Houston's owner, he's absolutely worth a look.

Click came from Tampa Bay after Luhnow was let go. He's not really part of that "culture".

Also, Click and Arnold worked together in Tampa Bay so I don't think it would be too crazy for them to team up in Milwaukee in some fashion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jerichoholicninja said:

Click came from Tampa Bay after Luhnow was let go. He's not really part of that "culture".

Also, Click and Arnold worked together in Tampa Bay so I don't think it would be too crazy for them to team up in Milwaukee in some fashion.

Ah, good point. I forgot where Click came through a team's system.

34 minutes ago, alwz4gbp said:

Who's to say that he would be?  I'd think winning a world series vs being a rookie GM, Arnold would work for him.  Arnold only received the GM title correct?  Is Mark A going to fill the PBO role or save that to give to his next GM that wants more?  

PBO is the GM and the GM is the PBO.  The PBO is used to mainly promote and to deny other teams from interviewing other front office execs.  Arnold was already the GM and didn't really get a promotion.  The only thing he is taking over is all of Stearns responsibilities.  

13 hours ago, nate82 said:

PBO is the GM and the GM is the PBO.  The PBO is used to mainly promote and to deny other teams from interviewing other front office execs.  Arnold was already the GM and didn't really get a promotion.  The only thing he is taking over is all of Stearns responsibilities.  

Do you think the Dodgers were in danger of losing Friedman?
Theo and Hoyer were POBP and GM and they were not the same job.

One is a superior of the other. One makes the final call. Attanasio invests heavily in his front office...and if he thinks a guy who just won a WS, who came up with Friedman in Tampa is worth it, he'll make one the POBO and one the GM. 

WE made Stearns the POBP to promote to prevent other teams. I'm not sure that's primarily how it's used so much as it's how we did it. 

9 hours ago, UpandIn said:

Do you think the Dodgers were in danger of losing Friedman?
Theo and Hoyer were POBP and GM and they were not the same job.

One is a superior of the other. One makes the final call. Attanasio invests heavily in his front office...and if he thinks a guy who just won a WS, who came up with Friedman in Tampa is worth it, he'll make one the POBO and one the GM. 

WE made Stearns the POBP to promote to prevent other teams. I'm not sure that's primarily how it's used so much as it's how we did it. 

Your point being?

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, nate82 said:

Your point being?

I thought it was obvious. 

The GM and POBO is not the same job...?

PBO is the GM and the GM is the PBO. The PBO is used to mainly promote and to deny other teams from interviewing other front office execs. 

1 hour ago, UpandIn said:

I thought it was obvious. 

The GM and POBO is not the same job...?

It is the same job the POBO does the GM’s job it is the same throughout MLB.  The Dodgers promoted Brandon Gomes to GM as he was one of the finalists for the Mets GM spot before Eppler got the job.  Now that he is the GM of the Dodgers teams are going to be denied to interview him.  

Friedman was basically the GM but was the POBO until January of this year.  It is a title nothing more.  POBO is the GM and the GM is the POBO.

Just now, markedman5 said:

Brewers had a press conference to introduce Arnold as the new decision maker…….call him whatever you want. 
They aren’t going to have him work under Click ………and Click isn’t going to take a number 2 job after being the guy in Houston.

Click was GM in name only at Houston.  He was basically the assistant GM to the owner.  

Click.  In his early 40s.  Yale grad.  Worked for many years in TB where he overlapped with Arnold. I don’t think he’s under contract but someone can correct me if I’m wrong.  Connecting Click with Milwaukee is not crazy talk.  Arnold would have to be ultimately in charge though.  That’s been in the works for years.  Arnold likely would want a smart guy to lean on as Stearns once brought Arnold in.  

• Like 1