Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Passan Believes Brewers Likely to Add around Burnes & Woodruff, Not Trade Them

Jeff Passan of ESPN believes it's more likely the Brewers and Arnold will try to build around Burnes and Woodruff than trade one of their two top-of-the-rotation starters. While this doesn't mean anything is set in stone, Passan usually has pretty good takes and is known to be pretty tightly-knit with various front offices and agents around the league.

If this is truly the case, it's hard to see the Brewers build a roster around them for $135m given their current roster commitments and pending commitments.

This means the Brewers either need to raise payroll or they need to get creative in trade. They certainly have some nice pieces on the farm to acquire good, young talent but it's hard to see them trade too much of the future in a single offseason. What I expect is more likely is that we see a few surprise non-tenders to free up cash and possibly some moves to free up additional money (Wong being an obvious example).

An interesting tidbit from a baseball journalist I generally respect and follow pretty closely.

View full rumor

19 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Who the heck knows what to believe with these rumors. Yesterday, Rosenthal reported the exact opposite. The Brewers have to be the biggest mystery this offseason as far as which direction they are going to go.

These rumors are slightly more informed than guesses at this point, I believe. The teams probably don't even know what they're going to do on November 11th. Rosenthal and Passan are my two go-to names and the fact that they're reporting opposite things is rather funny.

But still, it's interesting to read what the national guys are hearing within their circles, even if the information conflicts.

19 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Who the heck knows what to believe with these rumors. Yesterday, Rosenthal reported the exact opposite. The Brewers have to be the biggest mystery this offseason as far as which direction they are going to go.

These rumors are slightly more informed than guesses at this point, I believe. The teams probably don't even know what they're going to do on November 11th. Rosenthal and Passan are my two go-to names and the fact that they're reporting opposite things is rather funny.

But still, it's interesting to read what the national guys are hearing within their circles, even if the information conflicts.

49 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Rosenthal reports that we're gonna trade Burnes?

49 minutes ago, wibadgers23 said:

Rosenthal reports that we're gonna trade Burnes?

On 11/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, wibadgers23 said:

Not all that big a mystery. The odds are status quo maintained, very little FA activity, and a bunch of trash reclamation project failures in the pen. At least that’s been the trend ?‍♂️

On 11/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, wibadgers23 said:

Not all that big a mystery. The odds are status quo maintained, very little FA activity, and a bunch of trash reclamation project failures in the pen. At least that’s been the trend ?‍♂️

On 11/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, markedman5 said:

I just read the Rosenthal blurb in the Athletic…….it reads like conjecture/speculation to me. 

It obviously could happen but it certainly didn’t come across as insider information to me.

That's exactly what it sounded like. Just picking players that it'd make the most sense to trade. 

I'd guess the Brewers will first gauge their chances of extending Burnes before anything else. Then I'd still guess based on how last year went, Attanasio would be apprehensive of dealing him...and if he extends him, it keeps the window open longer. We'll see if Burnes really wants to be here like he said. 

On 11/11/2022 at 5:51 PM, markedman5 said:

I just read the Rosenthal blurb in the Athletic…….it reads like conjecture/speculation to me. 

It obviously could happen but it certainly didn’t come across as insider information to me.

That's exactly what it sounded like. Just picking players that it'd make the most sense to trade. 

I'd guess the Brewers will first gauge their chances of extending Burnes before anything else. Then I'd still guess based on how last year went, Attanasio would be apprehensive of dealing him...and if he extends him, it keeps the window open longer. We'll see if Burnes really wants to be here like he said. 

On 11/12/2022 at 12:25 PM, superfly said:

I don't think there have been many teams BETTER at bullpen "reclamation projects," than the Brewers the last 5-6 years.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:25 PM, superfly said:

I don't think there have been many teams BETTER at bullpen "reclamation projects," than the Brewers the last 5-6 years.

Add Robert Murray (former Brewers beat reporter) and Ken Rosenthal to the growing list of insiders who are saying that the Brewers are likely to build around Burnes, Woodruff, Adames, and not trade any of them this offseason. 

https://fansided.com/2022/11/15/mlb-free-agency-updates-early-trade-candidates/

https://theathletic.com/3896331/2022/11/14/rosenthal-mlb-free-agency-rumors/

Add Robert Murray (former Brewers beat reporter) and Ken Rosenthal to the growing list of insiders who are saying that the Brewers are likely to build around Burnes, Woodruff, Adames, and not trade any of them this offseason. 

Just now, Brewcrew82 said:

Then we need to make an honest effort to build around them and I don't mean adding guys like Andrew McCutchen.

Just now, Brewcrew82 said:

Then we need to make an honest effort to build around them and I don't mean adding guys like Andrew McCutchen.