Brewer Fanatic

Article: Is Now the Right Time to Trade Corbin Burnes?

Tim Muma

6 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I just don't think either will sign those deals.  Burnes is going to get a BIG payday if he doesn't fall off a cliff in the next 2 years, I mean a BIG payday!  There isn't a chance in hell he takes that offer.  I don't think we get Woodruff for less than 25 million per season either.

There might be a remote chance to get 1-2 years of FA Woodruff if the Brewers really incentivize his remaining two years of arbitration.

Burnes, nope. I don't see him accepting anything less than a long-term deal that goes well over $100m in free agent money.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

There might be a remote chance to get 1-2 years of FA Woodruff if the Brewers really incentivize his remaining two years of arbitration.

Burnes, nope. I don't see him accepting anything less than a long-term deal that goes well over $100m in free agent money.

If the Brewers gave him Yelich's deal (maybe a year or two less), I think he'd actually accept it. as he genuinely seems to enjoy playing here. I'd be fine offering it, too, as I think Burnes is that special of a talent. But it's not my money or risk....

13 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

If the Brewers gave him Yelich's deal (maybe a year or two less), I think he'd actually accept it. as he genuinely seems to enjoy playing here. I'd be fine offering it, too, as I think Burnes is that special of a talent. But it's not my money or risk....

6 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe it's possible to extend Burnes right now to a $180m, six year deal. But it's going to require a lot of money and a lot of years. And if it's not done this offseason, I suspect that price will nearly double.

6 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. Maybe it's possible to extend Burnes right now to a $180m, six year deal. But it's going to require a lot of money and a lot of years. And if it's not done this offseason, I suspect that price will nearly double.

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

At minimum, I would like to see the Brewers make a genuine effort before actually going ahead and trading him. That deal would qualify as that. 

1 minute ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

At minimum, I would like to see the Brewers make a genuine effort before actually going ahead and trading him. That deal would qualify as that. 

2 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Yeah, I'd also like to see the Brewers retain him but it's hard to see them spending that much in the wake of the Yelich deal.

2 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Yeah, I'd also like to see the Brewers retain him but it's hard to see them spending that much in the wake of the Yelich deal.

10 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Right, which is why I'm acknowledging that a deal isn't likely from the start. But at least show the fans you genuinely tried, as opposed to the current situation, which is that the team has yet to even approach him. Who knows, you might even get lucky like Cleveland did with Ramirez. 

10 minutes ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Right, which is why I'm acknowledging that a deal isn't likely from the start. But at least show the fans you genuinely tried, as opposed to the current situation, which is that the team has yet to even approach him. Who knows, you might even get lucky like Cleveland did with Ramirez. 

1 hour ago, Sixtolezcano said:

Arnold tells Baltimore to kiss off.  Burns is a legitimate MLB pitcher and Cy Young winner. All Henderson, Hall and Rodriguez are prospects with little to no experience.

I'm not saying BTV is the end all be all, but Burnes for Henderson, Hall, Rodriguez is nearly a $100M overpay on BTV. It's not even remotely a fair trade. I doubt Baltimore would even accept Burnes for Henderson straight up. 

Arnold tells Baltimore to kiss off.  Burns is a legitimate MLB pitcher and Cy Young winner. All Henderson, Hall and Rodriguez are prospects with little to no experience.

I'm not saying BTV is the end all be all, but Burnes for Henderson, Hall, Rodriguez is nearly a $100M overpay on BTV. It's not even remotely a fair trade. I doubt Baltimore would even accept Burnes for Henderson straight up. 

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

That is WAY over the top IMO. 

He's going to make roughly 30M the next two years. 
So that's giving him 4 years and 150M dollars for his FA years?

And if it nearly doubles after this season...you're talking about the largest deal for a pitcher ever. Burnes is a...very good pitcher. This is the type of deal you give deGrom if he was 25 and you're the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets(who probably won't need Burnes). 

Nearly 38M a year and we're taking on all the risk?

5/130. He gets paid now and he hits Free Agency again when he's 33 years old and he is in line for another massive payday. 

1 hour ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

That is WAY over the top IMO. 

He's going to make roughly 30M the next two years. 
So that's giving him 4 years and 150M dollars for his FA years?

And if it nearly doubles after this season...you're talking about the largest deal for a pitcher ever. Burnes is a...very good pitcher. This is the type of deal you give deGrom if he was 25 and you're the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets(who probably won't need Burnes). 

Nearly 38M a year and we're taking on all the risk?

5/130. He gets paid now and he hits Free Agency again when he's 33 years old and he is in line for another massive payday. 

They are 2 of the top 4 prospects in the game who are in AAA or the Major Leagues.

That pitcher has a deGrom like profile and he's 22. Expectations should be high...but also realistic. 

They are 2 of the top 4 prospects in the game who are in AAA or the Major Leagues.

That pitcher has a deGrom like profile and he's 22. Expectations should be high...but also realistic. 

4 hours ago, Lajitas said:

That's a huge overpay for either Burnes or Woodruff.  They each have two years of arbitration left and those years should total less than $30 million combined for both years for either one.

That would be something like 12, 18, and 30+M over those 3 years. That seems like an underpay for Burnes who probably would like a 5+ year contract.

4 hours ago, Lajitas said:

That's a huge overpay for either Burnes or Woodruff.  They each have two years of arbitration left and those years should total less than $30 million combined for both years for either one.

That would be something like 12, 18, and 30+M over those 3 years. That seems like an underpay for Burnes who probably would like a 5+ year contract.