Brewer Fanatic

Rumor: Steve Cohen Says Mets not Pursuing Stearns

image.png

This isn't really totally "news" because Stearns is still under contract and any pursuit by the Mets would require negotiation with the Brewers and would surely come with a hefty cost.

And it's pretty hard to see the Mets bailing on Eppler after a wildly successful season, even if said season ended in disappointment.

But also, it's interesting to see over the next 12 months whether this is simply Cohen hedging his bets on the 2023 season and possibly snatching up Stearns after he's out from under any contractual arrangement with Milwaukee.

This is one of the more fascinating POBO/GM situations I've ever seen in my life of following baseball. It's obvious the two are interested in one another but continue to play coy. It's Pride & Prejudice: MLB Edition.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/steve-cohen-says-mets-arent-pursuing-david-stearns.html

View full rumor

• WHOA SOLVDD 1

On 10/30/2022 at 12:54 AM, Robocaller said:

I hope they sign him, and the Brewers get some significant compensation.  Any prospects that might be available?

It's pretty unlikely it'd be "significant compensation," but if there are a couple of 19 year olds with a nice FB but who are raw and undeveloped, I'd gladly take them. 

The Cubs got back 3, Xander Boegarts brother(who'd performed very well at IIRC age 18 in the DSL) and a 19 year old pitcher who, along with a 26 year old reliever subsequently tore their UCLs and required TJ surgery. 

So just a couple of low level guys would be nice...I suspect he'll just be here the rest of the year and then leave. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:54 AM, Robocaller said:

I hope they sign him, and the Brewers get some significant compensation.  Any prospects that might be available?

It's pretty unlikely it'd be "significant compensation," but if there are a couple of 19 year olds with a nice FB but who are raw and undeveloped, I'd gladly take them. 

The Cubs got back 3, Xander Boegarts brother(who'd performed very well at IIRC age 18 in the DSL) and a 19 year old pitcher who, along with a 26 year old reliever subsequently tore their UCLs and required TJ surgery. 

So just a couple of low level guys would be nice...I suspect he'll just be here the rest of the year and then leave. 

1 hour ago, UpandIn said:

I guess it boils down to your definition of "significant". I consider two low ball prospects with upside rather significant for an executive who may have had one foot out the door either way.

But I agree the most likely outcome is for everyone to stand pat for 12 months, see how Eppler does in 2023, then reevaluate the situation.

1 hour ago, UpandIn said:

I guess it boils down to your definition of "significant". I consider two low ball prospects with upside rather significant for an executive who may have had one foot out the door either way.

But I agree the most likely outcome is for everyone to stand pat for 12 months, see how Eppler does in 2023, then reevaluate the situation.

Maybe there isn't interest anymore? As it stands the Brewers PBO =/= Mets PBO, the Mets GM was the top guy for running player decisions when they had a PBO. Eppler led them to 101 wins...is Stearns really worth losing Eppler? I imagine Eppler would tell them to kick rocks and would leave if they hired Stearns to be PBO and handed him the reigns to run day to day player operations. Because #1 that is just downright insulting and #2 he would basically be getting demoted.

Demoting your lead guy after leading your franchise to 101 wins seems comical. Sure seems like it makes things more complicated than they need to be. As they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I imagine Stearns is off to have a one-year vacation before going elsewhere...and if the Mets are really the mutual interest...but what if Eppler leads another 100+ win campaign? 

Would be interesting if a team went and tried to interview Eppler for a PBO job, see what the Mets do.

The article explains why you are going to get essentially nothing in a trade. The rules force MLB to allow any team to purchase Stearn's contract. Off course that would set an ugly precedent...so they prefer teams to just work out some random trade so it looks mutual between the teams. 

Maybe there isn't interest anymore? As it stands the Brewers PBO =/= Mets PBO, the Mets GM was the top guy for running player decisions when they had a PBO. Eppler led them to 101 wins...is Stearns really worth losing Eppler? I imagine Eppler would tell them to kick rocks and would leave if they hired Stearns to be PBO and handed him the reigns to run day to day player operations. Because #1 that is just downright insulting and #2 he would basically be getting demoted.

Demoting your lead guy after leading your franchise to 101 wins seems comical. Sure seems like it makes things more complicated than they need to be. As they say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I imagine Stearns is off to have a one-year vacation before going elsewhere...and if the Mets are really the mutual interest...but what if Eppler leads another 100+ win campaign? 

Would be interesting if a team went and tried to interview Eppler for a PBO job, see what the Mets do.

The article explains why you are going to get essentially nothing in a trade. The rules force MLB to allow any team to purchase Stearn's contract. Off course that would set an ugly precedent...so they prefer teams to just work out some random trade so it looks mutual between the teams. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Eppler will be the POBO at the end of next season if the Mets are in the playoffs again next year.  He should be a very popular name for GM for a few teams.  Probably the Padres or the Angels if they falter again.  If Cohen is serious about not pursuing Stearns then Eppler is either the POBO or he has gone to another team and Stearns is the new POBO/GM.  

There really isn't a difference between POBO and GM they are basically the same thing just a different title.  The POBO is the GM and when the POBO is the GM the GM is just an assistant to the GM.  Jed Hoyer is currently the POBO for the Cubs but is basically doing everything that a GM would do.  Carter Hawkins is GM in name only as he is really just the Cubs assistant GM to Hoyer.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Eppler will be the POBO at the end of next season if the Mets are in the playoffs again next year.  He should be a very popular name for GM for a few teams.  Probably the Padres or the Angels if they falter again.  If Cohen is serious about not pursuing Stearns then Eppler is either the POBO or he has gone to another team and Stearns is the new POBO/GM.  

There really isn't a difference between POBO and GM they are basically the same thing just a different title.  The POBO is the GM and when the POBO is the GM the GM is just an assistant to the GM.  Jed Hoyer is currently the POBO for the Cubs but is basically doing everything that a GM would do.  Carter Hawkins is GM in name only as he is really just the Cubs assistant GM to Hoyer.  

2 hours ago, nate82 said:

I think the Yankees make a whole lot of sense. Cashman is up and there have been rumors he may be gone. They can just trade Volpe and Dominguez and he can take Stearns! He gets a MASSIVE payroll, he gets a team that's...really not in bad shape with regard to future guaranteed contracts(for the Yankees...crippling for the Brewers). 

Cole has a player option coming up for 36M and Stanton is owed 32, LaMehaiu for 15 and then Hicks for ~9M. 

Throw in Judge who'll be making ~40 and they've got a very good farm system with up the middle talent that could kick over to 3rd if need be and he has payroll flexibility and he can actually go out and has the resources to win a World Series. 

2 hours ago, nate82 said:

I think the Yankees make a whole lot of sense. Cashman is up and there have been rumors he may be gone. They can just trade Volpe and Dominguez and he can take Stearns! He gets a MASSIVE payroll, he gets a team that's...really not in bad shape with regard to future guaranteed contracts(for the Yankees...crippling for the Brewers). 

Cole has a player option coming up for 36M and Stanton is owed 32, LaMehaiu for 15 and then Hicks for ~9M. 

Throw in Judge who'll be making ~40 and they've got a very good farm system with up the middle talent that could kick over to 3rd if need be and he has payroll flexibility and he can actually go out and has the resources to win a World Series. 

2 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

The Yankees were the team I was thinking Stearns will go to.  Maybe the Yankees give Cashman one more year to win a WS and then they go with someone new.  It has been a long time for Cashman in New York.  I just don't see Stearns taking the job away from his friend Eppler on the Mets.  It would be a demotion for Eppler if Stearns were to become the POBO of the Mets as Eppler would then become the assistant GM with the GM title.  

2 minutes ago, UpandIn said:

The Yankees were the team I was thinking Stearns will go to.  Maybe the Yankees give Cashman one more year to win a WS and then they go with someone new.  It has been a long time for Cashman in New York.  I just don't see Stearns taking the job away from his friend Eppler on the Mets.  It would be a demotion for Eppler if Stearns were to become the POBO of the Mets as Eppler would then become the assistant GM with the GM title.  

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

I could see it if this would have happened last year...but they had a great year. To be fair, give the Brewers another 160M and I'm farilly confident we win more than 101 games, but whatever...they had it and they did it. By the way, O/U on Mets payroll? I'm setting it at 305. I'll take the over. I'll also take the over on deGrom at 40M. 

As for Cashman...if you give him another year, you're gonna have to give him a big contract. That means you'll be paying him 3 years, maybe 4 to give him one more year. 

Seems like it'd be cheaper to take a couple of low tier signings from LA and roll the dice on them. 

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

I could see it if this would have happened last year...but they had a great year. To be fair, give the Brewers another 160M and I'm farilly confident we win more than 101 games, but whatever...they had it and they did it. By the way, O/U on Mets payroll? I'm setting it at 305. I'll take the over. I'll also take the over on deGrom at 40M. 

As for Cashman...if you give him another year, you're gonna have to give him a big contract. That means you'll be paying him 3 years, maybe 4 to give him one more year. 

Seems like it'd be cheaper to take a couple of low tier signings from LA and roll the dice on them. 

10 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yeah, that's pretty vague, but...in what context would you call a couple of guys who hadn't played above rookie ball significant OTHER than a trade for an executive?

I do think this is MUCH different than Theo. He was a legend by then. Two world series, including the architect of the '04 comeback from 3-0 down to the Yankees, plus his was their hometown boy?

He also came with...Hoyer I think(don't know if he was part of the trade though). 

I'm really always happy with any 19 year old prospects who still have room to fill out or maybe have one good pitch, one plus tool. Just someone who MAYBE develops(like Peralta). 99 times out of 100, you don't hear from them again, but that 1 time, it can be Tatis Jr or who knows?

10 hours ago, Brock Beauchamp said:

Yeah, that's pretty vague, but...in what context would you call a couple of guys who hadn't played above rookie ball significant OTHER than a trade for an executive?

I do think this is MUCH different than Theo. He was a legend by then. Two world series, including the architect of the '04 comeback from 3-0 down to the Yankees, plus his was their hometown boy?

He also came with...Hoyer I think(don't know if he was part of the trade though). 

I'm really always happy with any 19 year old prospects who still have room to fill out or maybe have one good pitch, one plus tool. Just someone who MAYBE develops(like Peralta). 99 times out of 100, you don't hear from them again, but that 1 time, it can be Tatis Jr or who knows?