Brewer Fanatic

Article: How Will David Stearns' Time in Milwaukee Be Remembered?

Tim Muma

On 10/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, UpandIn said:

Seems like a tacky thing to bring up now...and I'm not sure I understand what a "cocaine playboy," means exactly.

Cocaine was widespread in the 1970s and 1980s and used by...MANY players...seems like a strange issue to bring up in 2022. 

So what do you mean by many? 10-20, or maybe 30? I’m sure you could probably name 20-30 players that used coke at that time. Must have great insider information. 

On 10/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, UpandIn said:

Seems like a tacky thing to bring up now...and I'm not sure I understand what a "cocaine playboy," means exactly.

Cocaine was widespread in the 1970s and 1980s and used by...MANY players...seems like a strange issue to bring up in 2022. 

So what do you mean by many? 10-20, or maybe 30? I’m sure you could probably name 20-30 players that used coke at that time. Must have great insider information. 

1 hour ago, Sixtolezcano said:

It's literally public record. Molitor for instance, was introduced to the drug by....teammates.

You think that takes inside information?

Have you REALLY never heard of this?

Here is all my "inside" info. 

https://sites.google.com/site/brettbushthesis/chapter-4/discussion-of-the-research-questions-1/2-who-in-major-league-baseball-history-is-considered-a-scandalous-player/2-who-in-major-league-baseball-history-is-considered-a-scandalous-player-b-not-in-the-hall-of-fame/drug-cocaine-scandals

40% per Keith Hernandez(another known cocaine user). Testified to under oath. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061218-drugs-why-is-cocaine-viewed-differently-than-steroids-in-major-league-baseball

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/sports-suspensions-drugs-mlb-scandal

21 players suspended just in 1986 as a result of the "Pittsburgh Cocaine Trials."

1 hour ago, Sixtolezcano said:

It's literally public record. Molitor for instance, was introduced to the drug by....teammates.

You think that takes inside information?

Have you REALLY never heard of this?

Here is all my "inside" info. 

https://sites.google.com/site/brettbushthesis/chapter-4/discussion-of-the-research-questions-1/2-who-in-major-league-baseball-history-is-considered-a-scandalous-player/2-who-in-major-league-baseball-history-is-considered-a-scandalous-player-b-not-in-the-hall-of-fame/drug-cocaine-scandals

40% per Keith Hernandez(another known cocaine user). Testified to under oath. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061218-drugs-why-is-cocaine-viewed-differently-than-steroids-in-major-league-baseball

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/sports-suspensions-drugs-mlb-scandal

21 players suspended just in 1986 as a result of the "Pittsburgh Cocaine Trials."

I think I will remember Stearns as a guy that turned around organizational philosophy on a lot of fronts and made them consistently relevant. However, I am betting I will look back and see a dude that totally wasted half a decade of having 2-3 aces in the rotation. Maybe in ten years one can look back and thank him for laying a foundation for winning a World Series. 

However, for the goal of winning a world series, I am confident he would have never won one no matter how long he stayed. The early years of competing were massively thanks to being gifted a great situation, great trade chips, and some good prospects that turned into great players. As the years went on he refused to make the team anything more than a WC contender. The cherry on the top being 2022 when he traded one of the most notable players at the deadline and at best tried making a division leading team tread water (in reality replaced Hader with total garbage). 

He made us a consistent contender, that is impressive. The fanbase is bored with that though...at the end of the day people want to see WS contenders. Stearns wasn't doing that and absolutely nothing he did the last few years gave me any confidence he would change us from a WC contender to WS contender again.

Still the best lead guy in franchise history by a lot...and I do think the foundation he laid will be felt for years. It will be interesting to see how they approach all these good players approaching FA while they still can compete. So much of that Hader trade was the pure fact they trade a good player when they were competing, and they flat out didn't do anything to improve the team. To a lot of fans (casual or serious) it looked like they were arguably worse after the deadline. People are bitter and that is with declining attendance/interest as is. This fanbase has been supportive of many stars getting traded...but we were garbage when we did it. It didn't go over to well this time. 

I think I will remember Stearns as a guy that turned around organizational philosophy on a lot of fronts and made them consistently relevant. However, I am betting I will look back and see a dude that totally wasted half a decade of having 2-3 aces in the rotation. Maybe in ten years one can look back and thank him for laying a foundation for winning a World Series. 

However, for the goal of winning a world series, I am confident he would have never won one no matter how long he stayed. The early years of competing were massively thanks to being gifted a great situation, great trade chips, and some good prospects that turned into great players. As the years went on he refused to make the team anything more than a WC contender. The cherry on the top being 2022 when he traded one of the most notable players at the deadline and at best tried making a division leading team tread water (in reality replaced Hader with total garbage). 

He made us a consistent contender, that is impressive. The fanbase is bored with that though...at the end of the day people want to see WS contenders. Stearns wasn't doing that and absolutely nothing he did the last few years gave me any confidence he would change us from a WC contender to WS contender again.

Still the best lead guy in franchise history by a lot...and I do think the foundation he laid will be felt for years. It will be interesting to see how they approach all these good players approaching FA while they still can compete. So much of that Hader trade was the pure fact they trade a good player when they were competing, and they flat out didn't do anything to improve the team. To a lot of fans (casual or serious) it looked like they were arguably worse after the deadline. People are bitter and that is with declining attendance/interest as is. This fanbase has been supportive of many stars getting traded...but we were garbage when we did it. It didn't go over to well this time. 

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for the posts all. As I'm nostalgic for this past season and longing for my Minor League tilts, I simply want to say I will look back on Stearns' legacy with only fondness. His leadership completely reinvigorated my passion and love for the organization. I have nothing negative to say. And, I would also like to take a moment to laud David Stearns for gifting and rewarding Matt Arnold with this opportunity. I choose to embrace this version of this story - two colleagues and friends; both incredibly qualified for a POBO role. I won't go further here but I think it's possible, maybe even likely, this was simply an act of professional and personal grace. I would also say, in the greater universe, 7 year cycles are literally the rule of shift and change. I digress but, this serendipitous transition isn't lost on my Farmer's POV.

I waited until Giannis and innovative leadership and vision to see the Bucks grab an improbable championship. I'm willing to give my beloved Brewers every chance to get it. Who could have foreseen Yelich's injuries and regressions? I certainly didn't. They still have all the relevant pieces to continue making runs. Our Minor League talent pool is in good standing. This is another big off-season and I'm excited to see what Matt Arnold can do given his new position and an incredible baseball Ops staff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for the posts all. As I'm nostalgic for this past season and longing for my Minor League tilts, I simply want to say I will look back on Stearns' legacy with only fondness. His leadership completely reinvigorated my passion and love for the organization. I have nothing negative to say. And, I would also like to take a moment to laud David Stearns for gifting and rewarding Matt Arnold with this opportunity. I choose to embrace this version of this story - two colleagues and friends; both incredibly qualified for a POBO role. I won't go further here but I think it's possible, maybe even likely, this was simply an act of professional and personal grace. I would also say, in the greater universe, 7 year cycles are literally the rule of shift and change. I digress but, this serendipitous transition isn't lost on my Farmer's POV.

I waited until Giannis and innovative leadership and vision to see the Bucks grab an improbable championship. I'm willing to give my beloved Brewers every chance to get it. Who could have foreseen Yelich's injuries and regressions? I certainly didn't. They still have all the relevant pieces to continue making runs. Our Minor League talent pool is in good standing. This is another big off-season and I'm excited to see what Matt Arnold can do given his new position and an incredible baseball Ops staff.