Brewer Fanatic

Blameitontherum Payroll Blueprint

17 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Bobby Miller is the sexy name, but I would argue that Tiedemann has surpassed him as a prospect. He's three years younger than Miller and absolutely dominated while moving from low A all the way to AA. Meanwhile, Bobby Miller struggled in AA this year. With three plus to plus plus pitches and great command, Tiedemann might have the best upside-floor combo for a minor league pitcher this side of Grayson Rodriguez and Eury Perez. 

Again, as a small-market team, we shouldn't place too much of an emphasis on how close certain prospects are to the majors or what position they play. It should be about talent and upside. Doing otherwise is how you end up on the losing end of trades. Hence, if we're going to trade Burnes, a top 3 pitcher in the game with 2 full years of control, it has to be for premium talent. Moreno and Tiedemann, two premium minor league talents, would accomplish that better than a Dodgers trade sans Cartaya. Same with a Rodriguez and Holiday package from the Orioles. 

Your opinion, mine differs. Miller pitched better at AAA to end his season, including a 15 K game. Miller throws harder and holds his velo longer than Tiedemann. 

All things being equal, I’ll take the prospects closer to BLR — less risk. The development arc is a bonus.

23 minutes ago, SF70 said:

Your opinion, mine differs. Miller pitched better at AAA to end his season, including a 15 K game. Miller throws harder and holds his velo longer than Tiedemann. 

All things being equal, I’ll take the prospects closer to BLR — less risk. The development arc is a bonus.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Though, I will note that, while he may throw a little harder, Miller has been a lot more hittable and has worse command than Tiedemann. And Tiedemann is not even that far off from Miller developmentally seeing as he ended the season in AA. Basically, the pitching version of Chourio. I just don't see any added risk there.

On the whole, I see Moreno and Tiedemann (or Rodriguez and Holliday) presenting a lot less risk than Vargas, Miller, and Pepiot while being a significant upgrade in talent. 

On 10/21/2022 at 8:43 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Though, I will note that, while he may throw a little harder, Miller has been a lot more hittable and has worse command than Tiedemann. And Tiedemann is not even that far off from Miller developmentally seeing as he ended the season in AA. Basically, the pitching version of Chourio. I just don't see any added risk there.

On the whole, I see Moreno and Tiedemann (or Rodriguez and Holliday) presenting a lot less risk than Vargas, Miller, and Pepiot while being a significant upgrade in talent. 

I think that any return on Burnes should include a TOR pitcher plus one more and ideally a 3b. It’s not that I don’t like some of the stud Catching prospects listed but with Quero skyrocketing thru and Feliciano on the cusp of hitting the big leagues the need isn’t as big as at 3B. We don’t have anyone close to major league ready. 

26 minutes ago, Jeff Meyer said:

I think that any return on Burnes should include a TOR pitcher plus one more and ideally a 3b. It’s not that I don’t like some of the stud Catching prospects listed but with Quero skyrocketing thru and Feliciano on the cusp of hitting the big leagues the need isn’t as big as at 3B. We don’t have anyone close to major league ready. 

Let's put it this way: I would rather get a future superstar, which I think Cartaya is, in return than getting a lesser talent who can play 3rd base, even if we already have some promising young catchers in the system. Trades can always be made to upgrade weaker positions.