Brewer Fanatic

nate82’s 2023 Payroll Blueprint

nate82

Trades:

1. Urias and Houser to the Giants for Bart, Murphy and Swiney 

2. Burnes to the Orioles for Rodriguez, Holliday and McDermott

3. Taylor and Hiura to the Athletics for Puk, Irvin, Laureano and Kemp.  This is a pure salary dump for the A's including Laureano and Kemp.  

FA Signings/Extensions:

Josh Bell 2-years $22m ($12m player option for '24).  

Aroldis Chapman 1-year $10m

David Robertson 3-years $24m (team option for '24 with a buyout of $4m and a player option for '25 at $10m) 

Willy Adames 6-years $110m (back loaded contract)

Brandon Woodruff 6-years $140m (back loaded contract)

Victor Caratini 2-years $4.5m ('24 is a player option at $3m)

The '24 rotation could possibly be Woodruff, Peralta,  Ashby, Lauer, Rodriguez/Gasser/Small/Irvin.  Gasser and Rodriguez should get some time with the Brewers in '23 to get their feet wet a bit.  Rodriguez is ready to go and could take a bullpen spot from Strzelecki or Cousins if needed.  

• C: Joey Bart ($0.70M)
  • 1B: Josh Bell ($10.0M)
  • 2B: Jace Peterson ($2.5M)
  • 3B: Willy Adames ($18.3M)
  • SS: Brice Turang ($0.7M)
  • LF: Christian Yelich ($22.00M)
  • CF: Garrett Mitchell ($0.70M)
  • RF: Hunter Renfroe ($11.0M)
  • DH: Rowdy Tellez ($5.5M)
  • 4th OF: Ramon Laureano ($3.6M)
  • Utility: Mike Brosseau ($1.00M)
  • Utility: Tony Kemp ($3.9M)
  • Backup C: Victor Caratini ($1.5M)
  • SP1: Brandon Woodruff ($18.00M)
  • SP2: Freddy Peralta ($3.5M)
  • SP3: Eric Lauer ($5.0M)
  • SP4: Aaron Ashby ($1.2M)
  • SP5: Cole Irvin ($0.7M)
  • RP: David Robertson ($6.0M)
  • RP: Jake Cousins ($.70M)
  • RP: A.J. Puk ($0.70M)
  • RP: Peter Strzelecki ($0.70M)
  • RP: Hoby Milner ($1.00M)
  • RP: Devin Williams ($4.00M)
  • RP: Aroldis Chapman ($10.0M)
Payroll is 2.18% over budget

50 minutes ago, nate82 said:

Trades:

1. Urias and Houser to the Giants for Bart, Murphy and Swiney 

2. Burnes to the Orioles for Rodriguez, Holliday and McDermott

3. Taylor and Hiura to the Athletics for Puk, Irvin, Laureano and Kemp.  This is a pure salary dump for the A's including Laureano and Kemp.  

FA Signings/Extensions:

Josh Bell 2-years $22m ($12m player option for '24).  

Aroldis Chapman 1-year $10m

David Robertson 3-years $24m (team option for '24 with a buyout of $4m and a player option for '25 at $10m) 

Willy Adames 6-years $110m (back loaded contract)

Brandon Woodruff 6-years $140m (back loaded contract)

Victor Caratini 2-years $4.5m ('24 is a player option at $3m)

The '24 rotation could possibly be Woodruff, Peralta,  Ashby, Lauer, Rodriguez/Gasser/Small/Irvin.  Gasser and Rodriguez should get some time with the Brewers in '23 to get their feet wet a bit.  Rodriguez is ready to go and could take a bullpen spot from Strzelecki or Cousins if needed.  

• ? Joey Bart ($0.70M)
  • 1B: Josh Bell ($10.0M)
  • 2B: Jace Peterson ($2.5M)
  • 3B: Willy Adames ($18.3M)
  • SS: Brice Turang ($0.7M)
  • LF: Christian Yelich ($22.00M)
  • CF: Garrett Mitchell ($0.70M)
  • RF: Hunter Renfroe ($11.0M)
  • DH: Rowdy Tellez ($5.5M)
  • 4th OF: Ramon Laureano ($3.6M)
  • Utility: Mike Brosseau ($1.00M)
  • Utility: Tony Kemp ($3.9M)
  • Backup ? Victor Caratini ($1.5M)
  • SP1: Brandon Woodruff ($18.00M)
  • SP2: Freddy Peralta ($3.5M)
  • SP3: Eric Lauer ($5.0M)
  • SP4: Aaron Ashby ($1.2M)
  • SP5: Cole Irvin ($0.7M)
  • RP: David Robertson ($6.0M)
  • RP: Jake Cousins ($.70M)
  • RP: A.J. Puk ($0.70M)
  • RP: Peter Strzelecki ($0.70M)
  • RP: Hoby Milner ($1.00M)
  • RP: Devin Williams ($4.00M)
  • RP: Aroldis Chapman ($10.0M)

Payroll is 2.18% over budget

A HUGE "no" on Aroldis Chapman for me. He hasn't been dominant since 2019, and this year he's looked like he's just plain done. Not to mention the havoc he could wreak on clubhouse chemistry, which already experienced a dip this past year. At $10M, could end up alongside Gagne in Brewers' FA infamy. 

I think it's way too much for David Robertson; I hope the Brewers don't give FA relievers 3 year deals.

I can't say much about the trades because I don't know a lot of the players but I appreciate the work that went into your proposals. 

I like this plan, a LOT, except for the Chapman part.

No way Jose.  

If we went with a Robertson type, he has closing experience this season, maybe use him at closer, and spend that 10 million we would have wasted on Chapman for some more starting depth, or possibly keeping Wong.

Maybe flip Laureano for another reliever once Frelick claims a spot on this roster (which I think we all know is going to happen in 2023 if he doesn't break camp with the big squad.)

I'm ALL in on getting Rodriguez and Holiday from Baltimore!!!  ALL IN!

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I like this plan, a LOT, except for the Chapman part.

No way Jose.  

If we went with a Robertson type, he has closing experience this season, maybe use him at closer, and spend that 10 million we would have wasted on Chapman for some more starting depth, or possibly keeping Wong.

Maybe flip Laureano for another reliever once Frelick claims a spot on this roster (which I think we all know is going to happen in 2023 if he doesn't break camp with the big squad.)

I'm ALL in on getting Rodriguez and Holiday from Baltimore!!!  ALL IN!

I think Chapman will do better in a smaller media market.  But the warning flags are there and that is why I thought $10m would be a good gamble and it is only one year.  If it works out great you have a really strong bullpen if not then the Brewers are back to a somewhat questionable bullpen.  I think moving Williams to the 7th or 8th inning role would be better for him.  Having Robertson and Chapman as the 8th and 9th inning guys would be better.  

I was thinking about flipping Laureano for more prospects but that maybe a deal during spring training.  Would prefer another SS on the team as this roster would be pretty scarce if Turang or Adames go down with an injury.  

Getting Rodriguez and Holliday is the key here.  You can either put Rodriguez in AAA to start and then bring him in midway through the season in the bullpen.  Either way you have three young starters now in AAA (Small, Gasser and Rodriguez) to pick from if someone goes down with an injury.  

I really like Frelick but that would be three rookies on the team taking up major PA's.  That is a lot of risk 

24 minutes ago, yfinn6 said:

think it's way too much for David Robertson; I hope the Brewers don't give FA relievers 3 year deals.

It is about what he is going to get this offseason.  He got $5.1 from the Cubs this offseason and he had a really good year this year.  This is the 2nd year in a row now where I wanted the Brewers to get Robertson.  He would have been really good for the Brewers this year.  I think he only signed with the Cubs this year as they gave him the closer role which helped him for this offseason to get a bigger payday.  I think $6m is close enough to what he will get.  Also it is really only a 1-year deal for Robertson with the buyout at $4m which is what the Brewers would do.  I just did a 3-year deal to backdate the money and have a higher buyout in year two which is just about half of what Robertson would make.  It would be beneficial for Robertson also to have that year two buyout as he could get a bigger payday in free agency that year.  The $4m buyout plus whatever he could sign for probably something around $5m or more depending on how well he pitches in '23.