Brewer Fanatic

2022-2023 Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings and Podcasts

Mass Haas

What a fun podcast this one is - if LHP Jakob Brustoski can ever make it to the big leagues with the Brewers, his cult hero status will be incredible, if only based on the fun discussion with his workout facility director here.

Listed at 6'2", 240, the undrafted Brustoski made his pro debut with Carolina in April 2022 coming off Tommy John rehab via Texas Tech. He discusses that debut in some detail, it was part of our April 10th Minor League Link Report (portion of that thread here).

Did you know Brustoski led all MiLB pitchers (with over 20+ innings) in K/9 at 19.7 (!) over 29.2 IP at Carolina and Maryvale, his ratio even higher in just a Mudcat uniform at 20.6. For the season, Brustoski fanned 65 batters in those 29.2 IP.

But there was a reason Brustoski was assigned to Maryvale on July 21st, where he would finish the season.

To go along with all those K's, on the full season, the southpaw walked 14 men per nine IP, hit eight batters, and threw 29 wild pitches (one per inning). His WHIP finished at 2.461.

Yet the Brewers have held on to Brustoski, and his attitude in this chat is awesome as he embraces the upcoming #YearOfCommand based on his offseason efforts.

Really wishing Jakob well in 2023 and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

What a fun podcast this one is - if LHP Jakob Brustoski can ever make it to the big leagues with the Brewers, his cult hero status will be incredible, if only based on the fun discussion with his workout facility director here.

Listed at 6'2", 240, the undrafted Brustoski made his pro debut with Carolina in April 2022 coming off Tommy John rehab via Texas Tech. He discusses that debut in some detail, it was part of our April 10th Minor League Link Report (portion of that thread here).

Did you know Brustoski led all MiLB pitchers (with over 20+ innings) in K/9 at 19.7 (!) over 29.2 IP at Carolina and Maryvale, his ratio even higher in just a Mudcat uniform at 20.6. For the season, Brustoski fanned 65 batters in those 29.2 IP.

But there was a reason Brustoski was assigned to Maryvale on July 21st, where he would finish the season.

To go along with all those K's, on the full season, the southpaw walked 14 men per nine IP, hit eight batters, and threw 29 wild pitches (one per inning). His WHIP finished at 2.461.

Yet the Brewers have held on to Brustoski, and his attitude in this chat is awesome as he embraces the upcoming #YearOfCommand based on his offseason efforts.

Wasn’t Brustoski the guy someone commented had big league stuff right now if he had any idea where it was going? Outside of Misiorowski, the Brewers might lack much star power on the mound in the lowest levels, but man have they compiled a fascinating group.

• Like 2

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
9 hours ago, CheeseheadInQC said:

Wasn’t Brustoski the guy someone commented had big league stuff right now if he had any idea where it was going? Outside of Misiorowski, the Brewers might lack much star power on the mound in the lowest levels, but man have they compiled a fascinating group.

Yes indeed, @CheeseheadInQC. That was @ARobsBrewCrew back in the early going of 2022 when he was walking everyone and their grandfather in Carolina. AND, it's true. His stuff, when it actually gets over the plate is just nasty. He has a super violent compact delivery and his fastball rips with what appears to be a high-spin four-seamer - which, historically is important in this case as Brustoski was a 2-seamer prior his TJ surgery. BUT (and this is discussed mid way through the pod) his new arm slot is very kind to the 4-seamer and  last year it was really his first year using that version of the fastball. Coupled with the fact he definitely isn't afraid to come inside (unfortunately, often a wee too far inside) and he has the make-up IF it actually came together to be a high-leverage inning guy. Remember the nasty (I know Jim posted this above...but I'm going to post this again):

His frame is a bit like that of the Vogelbach of relievers. But, the man can absolutely sling some heat. He has some off-speed stuff as well. I love watching when he takes the mound - considering how many games I watch in my Man Shed tinkering around I absolutely knew when Brustoski came to the Hill I might see an absurd sequence of punch outs or I might see 3 hit batters and a bases loaded situation with a walked in run. As a Minor League afficionado, that's the sauce - granted, the obvious addendum here is I would much much rather he harnessed his tools and became an Ace. That potential is there. I'm hoping for bigger and better things in 2023.

IF I were to build my Minor League Brewsers bullpen, tho, based strictly on 'stuff' and the ability to be dangerous and imposing on the mound...I honestly wouldn't think twice for a Brustoski add. He needs more of Meeker's control. If he had that? He'd be in Triple-A on the doorstep waiting for a call-up.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

Man, this was an incredible interview overall. I especially loved the early remarks from Brustoski:

"...I saw some deer on the way up here. Kind of got the 'Devil Eye'..."

Oh man, I know this eye Mr. Brustoski. 🤣

Overlooked with the release of the farm system rankings by Keith Law on 2/2, was the release of the farm rankings by Prospects1500 on the same day.   They listed the MKE system as 15th overall.  The site had ranked MKE 23 in 2022 & 28 in 2021.  This is open source/ free content to review..

https://www.prospects1500.com/milb/2023-mlb-farm-system-rankings/ 

One other note: the site  published the various team rankings of the 28 different site contributors so everyone can see the various opinions.  The link from within the article is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R4brOcuH6Behz5R-FzKhRYtl_f3IWBaJk67sQ6-LCgk/edit#gid=0 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadThinker88 said:

Overlooked with the release of the farm system rankings by Keith Law on 2/2, was the release of the farm rankings by Prospects1500 on the same day.   They listed the MKE system as 15th overall.  The site had ranked MKE 23 in 2022 & 28 in 2021.  This is open source/ free content to review..

https://www.prospects1500.com/milb/2023-mlb-farm-system-rankings/ 

One other note: the site  published the various team rankings of the 28 different site contributors so everyone can see the various opinions.  The link from within the article is below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R4brOcuH6Behz5R-FzKhRYtl_f3IWBaJk67sQ6-LCgk/edit#gid=0 

David Gasper, lead writer for Reviewing The Brew, does the Brewers ranking, and has them at #9, which is closer to where they should be ranked imo. 

Any way one wants to slice it, being in the 8-15 range or thereabouts is pretty impressive given the team has been drafting towards the end of the first round for the last five years & the only real prospect of note acquired from trading MLB players is Gasser.

Whole lotta development going on.

• Like 2

I read something yesterday about Wiemer, article called him big man version of Tyler O'Neill... If that's the player he becomes, I will gladly take that in RF for years to come.

Contreras/Tellez/Wiemer could be a ton of power in the middle of our lineup.

20 minutes ago, DR28 said:

I read something yesterday about Wiemer, article called him big man version of Tyler O'Neill... If that's the player he becomes, I will gladly take that in RF for years to come.

Not to mention Chourio...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mass Haas said:

And yes, our @Joseph Zarr was on top of this for the Daily Link Report (live) that Sunday.

That injury reallllly sucked given how well Rodriguez was balling at the time. He had really hit his stride. And, off the top of my head, he may have had family and his girlfriend in town during that series? Anywho...hoping he recovers and finds that stellar play again.

19 hours ago, DR28 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/big-hype-prospects-walker-vargas-hall-frelick-wiemer.html

Was it this on MLB trade rumours?

Interesting with 3 brewers prospects mentioned

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:41 PM, sveumrules said:

FanGraphs noted in their system overview “With that bump, the system would have ranked 12th at the end of the year, so that’s roughly where it fits across the game, plus or minus a few spots.”

Plus or minus about a dozen spots. They should tier systems, too. ranking is silly when the differences are often subjective or arbitrary. Predicting prospect outcomes for baseball writers is like writing the Farmers Almanac, not like advanced meteorology.

Don't get me wrong... I love every list, and indulge in every scouting morsel.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:03 AM, Playing Catch said:

Plus or minus about a dozen spots. They should tier systems, too. ranking is silly when the differences are often subjective or arbitrary. Predicting prospect outcomes for baseball writers is like writing the Farmers Almanac, not like advanced meteorology.

Don't get me wrong... I love every list, and indulge in every scouting morsel.

I do agree.  but that's not what's going to sell.  Folks want to be able to say their team in #1.  I imagine the top 3 have the one or more of the top 5 prospects ranked overall within their systems.  But a total of 3 overall in top 100.  (sorta Brewers without the top 5)  Meanwhile a team may have 7 or 8 players in the top 100 but none of them or just `1 above 40.  Angels have had the #1 player in baseball over the last decade in Mike Trout and have just 1 playoff appearance to show for it.  Houston who won 2 WS in the same time doesn't appear to have had  2 top 10 prospects on their WS at the time, but multiple top 100s when winning the WS alone with that single top 10 prospect.(Correa then Tucker)  Appears Altuve never even got to be ranked before he began his impressive ML career to date.

I'd see a 1-3  single rankings.  Then put your tiers down from there. however you deemed Next top 3, top, mid, lower, developing/needs long term work.

Maybe go 1, 2 ,3, next top 3, next top 6, developing next 12,  bottom 6.  Simply off that some teams have pitching prospects no batting, some have batting but no pitching.  I'd consider knocking those teams from a top 6 no matter how great their top 3 are, because you need a blend or a bankroll to fill out your blend as a side not why they are top 6.  Houston has the hitters, bought their pitching.