Brewer Fanatic

2022-2023 Offseason Brewers Prospect Rankings and Podcasts

Mass Haas

Tuesday 12/20:

Via WSSP's Steve "Sparky" Fifer: "Ben Badler of Baseball America did the yearly article of projecting the Brewers lineup for three years into the future. He discussed that and just how good Jackson Chourio could be for the Crew. Could Chourio eventually be the #1 prospect in baseball?"

Maybe I’m a pessimist but I’m starting to feel like the Chourio hype is getting out of control. I’m usually down on younger prospects because they flame out so often and he doesn’t have the mega prospect feel that I get from guys like Rodriguez or Luciano. I would love to see him have a strong start to 2023 and prove he belongs there. Right now it feels like he is living off of 271 very impressive PAs in 1 season. 

• Like 1
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

12 hours ago, umphrey said:

Maybe I’m a pessimist but I’m starting to feel like the Chourio hype is getting out of control. I’m usually down on younger prospects because they flame out so often and he doesn’t have the mega prospect feel that I get from guys like Rodriguez or Luciano. I would love to see him have a strong start to 2023 and prove he belongs there. Right now it feels like he is living off of 271 very impressive PAs in 1 season. 

If he had done what he did as a 20 year old, it wouldn't be as impressive. But he did it as an 18 year old, which puts his achievement into the stratosphere. 

• Like 2

Reds list up over at FanGraphs today. Here's a quick overview of their system versus ours by number of players in each of the different Future Value rankings...

60 FV = CIN (1) to MIL (1)

50 FV = CIN (4) to MIL (3)

45+ FV = CIN (1) to MIL (0)

45 FV = CIN (4) to MIL (6)

40+ FV = CIN (8) to MIL (6)

The Reds last full season playoff appearance was in 2013. From 2014-22, only the Tigers and Marlins have won fewer games. The 2023 season will mark a decade of nearly unrivaled misery for Reds fans.

& what do they have to show for it? One extra 50 FV prospect and one extra 45+ FV prospect.

They did spend more than the Brewers in free agency though.

• Like 2

Kinda surprised that the ProspectsLive release of the Brewer top 30 prospects was not shared here.  It came out on 12/31/22.

I picked up membership to see a few other teams so I will shared the names in the MKE top 30 listing.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/milwaukee-2023-76569237 

The full reports for all 30 runs 16 pages long..  Its well worth the $5 (+tax) for 1 month to get all the various team reports.

1. Jackson Chourio, OF - 70 OFP

2. Sal Frelick, OF - 55 OFP

3. Joey Wiemer, OF - 50 OFP

4. Brice Turang, SS - 50 OFP

5. Garrett Mitchell, OF - 50 OFP

6. Jacob Misiorowski, RHP - 50 OFP

7. Jeferson Quero, C - 50 OFP

8. Eric Brown, SS - 50 OFP

9. Robert Gasser, LHP - 45 OFP

10. Tyler Black, 2B - 45 OFP

11. Robert Moore, 2B - 45 OFP

12. Hendry Mendez , OF - 45 OFP

13. Luis Lara, OF - 45 OFP

14. Abner Uribe, RHP - 45 OFP

15. Eduardo Garcia, SS - 45 OFP

16. Ethan Small, LHP - 40 OFP

17. Logan Henderson, RHP - 40 OFP

18. Hedbert Perez, OF - 40 OFP

19. Jadher Areinamo, 2B - 40 OFP

20. Jace Avina, OF - 40 OFP

21. Stiven Cruz, RHP - 40 OFP

22. Janson Junk, RHP - 40 OFP

23. Carlos Rodriguez, RHP - 40 OFP

24. Freddy Zamora, SS - 40 OFP

25. Zavier Warren, 3B - 40 OFP

26. Gus Varland, RHP - 40 OFP

27. Johan Barrios, 3B - 40 OFP

28. Felix Valerio, 2B - 40 OFP

29. Matthew Wood, C - 40 OFP

30. Daniel Guilarte, SS - 40 OFP

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MadThinker88 said:

Kinda surprised that the ProspectsLive release of the Brewer top 30 prospects was not shared here.  It came out on 12/31/22.

I picked up membership to see a few other teams so I will shared the names in the MKE top 30 listing.

The full reports for all 30 runs 16 pages long..  Its well worth the $5 (+tax) for 1 month to get all the various team reports.

Prospects Live does fantastic work. Very much agree that their $5/month price for the Patreon is well worth it. Especially if you're a dynasty or keeper league fantasy player. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:58 PM, MadThinker88 said:

I'm glad to see Areinamo showing up on more lists. I'm planning to write more as part of a blog post before the season starts on stats to watch, but if you were to put together a set of metrics on how a hitter can succeed without much home run power, the result probably would look pretty much like what Areinamo was doing in Arizona last season. Not all of that stayed after his promotion, but if he can get back to hitting the way he did in Arizona in full season ball next year, he might be a top 10 prospect in the system even if his home run totals stay low.

3 hours ago, wiguy94 said:

Baseball Prospectus came out with their top 101 today. It includes 4 Brewers.

Jackson Chourio - 10

Sal Frelick - 41

Garrett Mitchell - 62

Joey Wiemer - 65

They have concerns about Chourio's swing and miss (as an 18 year old in A-AA, same age as a high school senior), yet aren't afraid to rank Elly De La Cruz #5? I don't understand it.

Second list I've seen Mitchell reemerge on recently (other was Bleacher Report). We'll see what happens with his bat. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

They have concerns about Chourio's swing and miss (as an 18 year old in A-AA, same age as a high school senior), yet aren't afraid to rank Elly De La Cruz #5? I don't understand it.

Second list I've seen Mitchell reemerge on recently (other was Bleacher Report). We'll see what happens with his bat. 

It's even stranger than a prospect with actual history of hit tool issues as they say, who had a lesser season than Jackson Chourio at Low A Ball alone, and is older, I sort of wonder why they're that high on Wood in comparison to others

• Like 1