Brewer Fanatic

jay87shot’s 2023 Payroll Blueprint

Trade Burnes to Texas for Josh Jung, Owen White, Luisangel Acuna, Mitch Garver, and a lotto prospect

Trade Houser for 2 mid-level prospects

Trade Rowdy and Urias to Miami for Tanner Scott and Sixto Sanchez

Trade Taylor for a prospect

Sign Mike Clevinger 1/7.5 +incentives

Sign Jose Abreu 2/40 (3rd option)

1)Yeli 2)Frelich 3)Abreu 4)Adames 5) Renfroe 6)Mitchell 7)Jung 8)Garver 9)Turang

Ashby and Sanchez piggyback to limit innings to start the year. Williams, Scott, Bush, and Box as 7/8/9, Gott, Topa, Perdomo, Strezlecki, and more fight for last 2 pen spots

• C: Garver ($3.5M)
  • 1B: Jose Abreu ($20M)
  • 2B: Brice Turang ($0.7M)
  • 3B: Josh Jung ($0.7M)
  • SS: Willy Adames ($9.50M)
  • LF: Sal Frelich ($0.7M)
  • CF: Garrett Mitchell ($0.70M)
  • RF: Hunter Renfroe ($11M)
  • DH: Yelich ($22M)
  • 4th OF: Estuery Ruiz ($0.7M)
  • Utility: Mike Brosseau ($1.00M)
  • Utility: Minor league deal vet ($1M)
  • Backup C: Caratini ($2M)
  • SP1: Mike Clevinger ($7.5M)
  • SP2: Brandon Woodruff ($11.00M)
  • SP3: Freddy Peralta ($3.50M)
  • SP4: Eric Lauer ($5.00M)
  • SP5: Aaron Ashby ($1M)
  • RP: Peter Strezlecki ($0.7M)
  • RP: Luis Perdomo ($1.00M)
  • RP: Matt Bush ($2.00M)
  • RP: Tanner Scott ($2M)
  • RP: Hoby Milner ($1.00M)
  • RP: Devin Williams ($4.00M)
  • RP: Box ($2.25M)
  • RP: Sixto Sanchez ($1M)
Payroll is 11.19% under budget

36 minutes ago, jay87shot said:

Trade Burnes to Texas for Josh Jung, Owen White, Luisangel Acuna, Mitch Garver, and a lotto prospect

Trade Houser for 2 mid-level prospects

Trade Rowdy and Urias to Miami for Tanner Scott and Sixto Sanchez

Trade Taylor for a prospect

Sign Mike Clevinger 1/7.5 +incentives

Sign Jose Abreu 2/40 (3rd option)

1)Yeli 2)Frelich 3)Abreu 4)Adames 5) Renfroe 6)Mitchell 7)Jung 8)Garver 9)Turang

Ashby and Sanchez piggyback to limit innings to start the year. Williams, Scott, Bush, and Box as 7/8/9, Gott, Topa, Perdomo, Strezlecki, and more fight for last 2 pen spots

• ? Garver ($3.5M)
  • 1B: Jose Abreu ($20M)
  • 2B: Brice Turang ($0.7M)
  • 3B: Josh Jung ($0.7M)
  • SS: Willy Adames ($9.50M)
  • LF: Sal Frelich ($0.7M)
  • CF: Garrett Mitchell ($0.70M)
  • RF: Hunter Renfroe ($11M)
  • DH: Yelich ($22M)
  • 4th OF: Estuery Ruiz ($0.7M)
  • Utility: Mike Brosseau ($1.00M)
  • Utility: Minor league deal vet ($1M)
  • Backup ? Caratini ($2M)
  • SP1: Mike Clevinger ($7.5M)
  • SP2: Brandon Woodruff ($11.00M)
  • SP3: Freddy Peralta ($3.50M)
  • SP4: Eric Lauer ($5.00M)
  • SP5: Aaron Ashby ($1M)
  • RP: Peter Strezlecki ($0.7M)
  • RP: Luis Perdomo ($1.00M)
  • RP: Matt Bush ($2.00M)
  • RP: Tanner Scott ($2M)
  • RP: Hoby Milner ($1.00M)
  • RP: Devin Williams ($4.00M)
  • RP: Box ($2.25M)
  • RP: Sixto Sanchez ($1M)

Payroll is 11.19% under budget

If they were to trade Burnes (highly unlikely), I don't see them immediately going out and signing Abreu and Clevinger. If anything, they'd pocket the savings and go full-steam ahead with the rookies and the prospects from the Burnes trade. 

Also, that isn't enough for Burnes. What the Reds got for Castillo is your reference point and should probably exceed that given that Burnes would have 2 full seasons of team control. 

2 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

If they were to trade Burnes (highly unlikely), I don't see them immediately going out and signing Abreu and Clevinger. If anything, they'd pocket the savings and go full-steam ahead with the rookies and the prospects from the Burnes trade. 

Disagree 100%. 

Sterns said they are not going rebuild mode.  (full steam ahead with rookies and prospects would be re-build mode) 

Trading Burns doesn't mean they are dead in the free agent market, I think just the opposite.  They are going to have to do something to help soften the loss of Burnes, adding a free agent pitcher (Clevinger - but I highly doubt they get him that cheap) and a bat (Abreu) is exactly the kind of moves I would expect them to make if they Trade Burnes.

15 hours ago, Hopper said:

Disagree 100%. 

Sterns said they are not going rebuild mode.  (full steam ahead with rookies and prospects would be re-build mode) 

Trading Burns doesn't mean they are dead in the free agent market, I think just the opposite.  They are going to have to do something to help soften the loss of Burnes, adding a free agent pitcher (Clevinger - but I highly doubt they get him that cheap) and a bat (Abreu) is exactly the kind of moves I would expect them to make if they Trade Burnes.

Agree, my scenario was under $120 million payroll by trading Hader then here trading Burnes, Tellez, Houser, and Urias we will have save around $35 million on top of 16 or so from Cutch and Wong. Honestly I was tempted to have us sign a better pitcher or another bat. If you are someone in favor of trading Renfroe (I am on the fence). That could be around $60 million the team has to play with from last years team.

I don't think Clevinger will get more than 10. He has an ERA over 4 and his fastball and K are down from previously, I still like his chances at rebounding and I think he would be smart to come to our organization which has a good track record of leveling up our pitchers stuff. 

17 hours ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Also, that isn't enough for Burnes. What the Reds got for Castillo is your reference point and should probably exceed that given that Burnes would have 2 full seasons of team control. 

I agree the Burnes package is a bit light, maybe change the lotto prospect I proposed to someone like Kumar Rocker or Cole Winn? Basically I wanted to fill 3B and then C and improve our minors, I am sure you could swap that for a Mets, Blue Jays, or O's trade discussed elsewhere.

18 hours ago, Hopper said:

Disagree 100%. 

I like the creativity.... but with the Hader trade the Brewers just learned in '22 it is extremely difficult to "shuffle the deck"  trading away a star player and get better at the same time. 

The weak spot is there  is not away for the Brewers to get better that involves trading an indisputable ace, top of the rotation starting pitcher like Corbin Burnes.  No matter what comes out of Stearns's mouth at the media podium: trading Burnes = rebuilding.  Moreover, the Brewers owner isn't a dope, when they don't have the horses to compete payroll gets taken down to the bone. ( see '16, '`17 et al).