Brewer Fanatic

Projected Arbitration Salaries 2023

reillymcshane

1 hour ago, wibadgers23 said:

The Yelich contract is such a pain in the butt.  Ugh!  Unless Mark A decides to go all out and pushes payroll over $130 million or thereabouts, we really don't have much room to work unless we let Renfroe and Wong walk, and we're almost certain to let Wong go and the budget would still be super tight.  Unless we let go a bunch of the arb-eligible guys, I expect almost nothing in free agency, at least nothing exciting.  Any kind of move will have to come via trade.  Stearns and Arnold will have to be creative this offseason.

"Excited" may be too strong a term, but I'm kind of excited about how we could look with a Burnes trade. We would get a top-tier, MLB-ready prospect, someone like Baty from the Mets or Rodriguez from the Orioles, who would be playing for league-minimum and be under control for the next six years, as well as some other talented prospects who wouldn't be MLB-ready yet.

That would fill one spot on the roster with a talented young player, and allow for around $11M to upgrade elsewhere. It would hurt to lose Burnes, but we'd still have a strong rotation and with the addition of what we get in trade and what we could add with the $11M, we should still be contending for the NL Central title in 2023 while making our future look a lot better.

• Like 3

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

20 minutes ago, monty57 said:

"Excited" may be too strong a term, but I'm kind of excited about how we could look with a Burnes trade. We would get a top-tier, MLB-ready prospect, someone like Baty from the Mets or Rodriguez from the Orioles, who would be playing for league-minimum and be under control for the next six years, as well as some other talented prospects who wouldn't be MLB-ready yet.

That would fill one spot on the roster with a talented young player, and allow for around $11M to upgrade elsewhere. It would hurt to lose Burnes, but we'd still have a strong rotation and with the addition of what we get in trade and what we could add with the $11M, we should still be contending for the NL Central title in 2023 while making our future look a lot better.

If we're going to trade Burnes, I like the idea of packaging him and Renfroe together, assuming the other team needs OF help.  I think we'd make out pretty good in that scenario and would also save us over $20 million to spend on positions of need.  We'd be fairly young in the outfield but would also have a mixture of veteran guys like Rowdy, Adames, Taylor, etc.  We'd still be competing for a playoff spot in 2023, IMO.

1 hour ago, wibadgers23 said:

If we're going to trade Burnes, I like the idea of packaging him and Renfroe together, assuming the other team needs OF help.  I think we'd make out pretty good in that scenario and would also save us over $20 million to spend on positions of need.  We'd be fairly young in the outfield but would also have a mixture of veteran guys like Rowdy, Adames, Taylor, etc.  We'd still be competing for a playoff spot in 2023, IMO.

Trading our best pitcher and best hitter would take us right out of contention. Our rookies are promising, but they're not going to all be elite or even above average from day 1.....Same with any prospects we'd get in the trade.

• Like 1

If Caratini is around 3 million I might consider trading him. He was so awful down the stretch I don't want to rely on him. As a backup fine, but 3 million for a backup C seems a bit much. I think adding a catcher might be my number 1 priority.

It seems strange around the All-Star break we had 6 potential mlb level catchers (if you want to count Alex Jackson and Jackson Reetz). Now I don't really like the 2 or 3 we have.

4 hours ago, wibadgers23 said:

The Yelich contract is such a pain in the butt.  Ugh!  Unless Mark A decides to go all out and pushes payroll over $130 million or thereabouts, we really don't have much room to work unless we let Renfroe and Wong walk, and we're almost certain to let Wong go and the budget would still be super tight.  Unless we let go a bunch of the arb-eligible guys, I expect almost nothing in free agency, at least nothing exciting.  Any kind of move will have to come via trade.  Stearns and Arnold will have to be creative this offseason.

The Brewers OD payroll in 2022 was over $130 M and finished around 140 M. No reason to think they can't do that again in 2023.

29 minutes ago, Redd Vencher said:

The Brewers OD payroll in 2022 was over $130 M and finished around 140 M. No reason to think they can't do that again in 2023.

No one outside of the Brewers' F.O. knows for sure what the numbers are.

I believe that Mark A. signed off on the $8.5M contract for McCutchen which put us over budget going into 2022. Then, ticket sales across the league plummeted, and the Brewers failed to make the playoffs, costing the ownership group millions of dollars. 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they run a $130M opening day payroll out again for 2023, as that would make it a lot easier for Stearns to fit all the pieces into the puzzle. In order to not be disappointed, I'll expect that they're going to drop payroll for the above-mentioned reasons. 

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1 hour ago, monty57 said:

I believe that Mark A. signed off on the $8.5M contract for McCutchen which put us over budget going into 2022. Then, ticket sales across the league plummeted, and the Brewers failed to make the playoffs, costing the ownership group millions of dollars. 

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they run a $130M opening day payroll out again for 2023, as that would make it a lot easier for Stearns to fit all the pieces into the puzzle. In order to not be disappointed, I'll expect that they're going to drop payroll for the above-mentioned reasons. 

Reducing payroll after this year would be a PR disaster. You'd hate to have a Cleveland situation after where the fans completely leave you after all the work to cultivate the fan support they have over the last 15 years. Maybe the Attanasio and the ownership group are fine with a Cleveland situation, but I'd bet against it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monty57 said:

Revenue should still be up with TV and Revenue sharing. 

This is definitely a year Attanasio needs to push the payroll up...if there's a move that makes sense. We don't know exactly what they make, but folks smarter than us have made educated guesses about what they get in revenue sharing, how much the TV money is going up. We also don't know if players are going to be willing to sign with us. If we want Abreu for example...will he want to go to a team with no other Cuban players, or would he prefer to go and join a team like...I don't know, the Orioles. Maybe that doesn't matter at all.

So again, I won't be upset about the payroll under a certain number, it'll be more about how they go about doing it. If they're gonna run it back, then run it back with the best players, the core, then you need to add to that, not just hope the rookies will perform. 

5 hours ago, wibadgers23 said:

Wait, you want to trade our best pitcher and quite possibly our best hitter in a package deal to free up money?  We aren't going to find a better hitter than Renfroe for 10 million, we just aren't.

Unless we are getting players that can step in and start right now, one of which has to replace Renfroe, and be at the very least as good as he was in 2022, we are not going to be better in 2023, in fact, we are talking about a step backwards.  No playoffs in 2023 when you remove our ACE pitcher and best hitter, and that mixture of vets you mention isn't going to do much to improve the offense in 2023 either.

• Like 1