Brewer Fanatic

Jose Abreu

White Sox set to let him depart in free agency, per reports. Could prove to be exactly what this offense needs, given his BA/OBP and run production capabilities. Cost shouldn't be prohibitive either due to his age. Also, remember our Justin Turner pursuit from a couple offseasons ago? Eerily similar players and circumstances imo. And hits from a different side as Rowdy, so you could rotate them both between 1B and DH, though Rowdy would hopefully receive the lion's share of DH opportunities in such a scenario. 

1 hour ago, Brewcrew82 said:

White Sox set to let him depart in free agency, per reports. Could prove to be exactly what this offense needs, given his BA/OBP and run production capabilities. Cost shouldn't be prohibitive either due to his age. Also, remember our Justin Turner pursuit from a couple offseasons ago? Eerily similar players and circumstances imo. And hits from a different side as Rowdy, so you could rotate them both between 1B and DH, though Rowdy would hopefully receive the lion's share of DH opportunities in such a scenario. 

I'd be down for something like 2/$32M or 3/$45M with a club option and a modest buyout in the 3rd year. 

4 minutes ago, Robocaller said:

He's coming off a 3y $50M contract. I don't think he's planning on taking a pay cut.

But he'd work on the roster.

I mean he turns 36 in January and is coming off a year hitting 15 HR by far the lowest rate he's hit HR in his career. I don't really seem him getting a raise. 

I wouldn't mind Abreu but I wouldn't go a 3rd year. He did have a WAR of 4.2 last year and with everyone having the DH and seemingly needing offense I would guess he gets a raise. I would say 2/38 with a team option and a 2 or 4 million dollar buyout, making it 2/40-42. He is still a decent 1st baseman which would add some extra value to us.. Also remember if we sign a guy like Abreu it would mean dropping 1 or  more salaries, likely Renfroe. I seriously doubt our payroll goes up and losing Wong (potentially) and Cutch is offset by arby raises.

3 minutes ago, Brewcrew82 said:

Is this a joke? Just look at the stats, man....

I did. And I also see a 36-year-old 1B whose power output dipped by 35 points of SLG, fueled by the HR total going from 30 to 15. He had 19 in 2020 in 361 fewer ABs.

The good news on this, if you want to look that way, is his profile is more Cirillo-esque - ,300 average, lots of doubles, but will that doubles power fade?

Maybe a one-year deal with a team option for a second year to give Wiemer time to season in AAA, at about $10 million max, But after McCutcheon burned the Crew this year... I'd rather bring up Wiemer, or give Hiura, who is a decade younger, a full season at DH for about $10-15 million less than what Abreu would cost.

4 minutes ago, clancyphile said:

I did. And I also see a 36-year-old 1B whose power output dipped by 35 points of SLG, fueled by the HR total going from 30 to 15. He had 19 in 2020 in 361 fewer ABs.

The good news on this, if you want to look that way, is his profile is more Cirillo-esque - ,300 average, lots of doubles, but will that doubles power fade?h

Maybe a one-year deal with a team option for a second year to give Wiemer time to season in AAA, at about $10 million max, But after McCutcheon burned the Crew this year... I'd rather bring up Wiemer, or give Hiura, who is a decade younger, a full season at DH for about $10-15 million less than what Abreu would cost.

And Hiura struck out more than 40% of the time and his surface numbers significantly declined once he received greater playing time. Hiura hasn't produced anything on Abreu's stratosphere since 2019. 

Meanwhile, Abreu's underlying numbers, such as his avg. EV, hard hit %, and xSLG all were on par with or better than 2020/2021, and placed him among the league leaders. Unlike McCutchen, Abreu remains a high-level hitter, and shows no visible signs of decline. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:44 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

And Hiura struck out more than 40% of the time and his surface numbers significantly declined once he received greater playing time. Hiura hasn't produced anything on Abreu's stratosphere since 2019. 

Meanwhile, Abreu's underlying numbers, such as his avg. EV, hard hit %, and xSLG all were on par with or better than 2020/2021, and placed him among the league leaders. Unlike McCutchen, Abreu remains a high-level hitter, and shows no visible signs of decline. 

Except his HR numbers.

Man, it would be hard as a fan to bail on your 1B that hit 35 homers, and add a guy who hit only 15.  Yes, I realize that as a hitter, he is superior to Rowdy, but chicks dig the long ball!

On 10/10/2022 at 10:39 PM, clancyphile said:

The good news on this, if you want to look that way, is his profile is more Cirillo-esque - ,300 average, lots of doubles, but will that doubles power fade?

What does McCutchen have to do with Abreu? They're not even remotely similar other than...they both play baseball and are in their 30s. 

Abreu is a wildly different player. His exit velocity this year was higher than his career average and his hard hit% is higher than his career average(over 50%). 

I also don't see how or why Wiemer is being blocked by him. We're not playing Wiemer at 1B/DH and we're not playing Abreu in RF.

Offering 10M over 1 year would just be an insult and pointless. 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:13 PM, Brewcrew82 said:

I brought Abreu up months ago but was told(and kinda convinced despite having Vaughn, Eloy, Sheets) that the White Sox wouldn't let the elder statemen and the player who brought in so many other young Cuban players. 

But if this is true...he's a damn near perfect fit into this offense. 2/30-3/45 seems like the going rate for a hitter of his caliber, even at 35 years old.