Brewer Fanatic

Bucks 2022-2023 Season Thread

areacodes

Community Moderator
22 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Haven’t played a game with their whole rotation healthy and have the 2nd best record in the NBA even with their mediocre play since the 9-0 start.

Yeah, that Giannis guy is pretty good.

The way I break it down a little shy of the halfway point would be that GA, Jrue, Brook and Bobby are currently playing at playoff levels.

Grayson and Jevon are playing fine for regular season, but not sure either one is more than like an 8th/9th guy come playoff time.

Jingles and Pat have shown flashes of playoff calibre rotation play, but aren’t there consistently just yet.

Middleton looked rusty before getting hurt again, at this point it feels like the season will pretty much come down to if he is able to get back and round into vintage Khris form in time for the playoffs.

Believe KM is eligible for a huge extension coming up, deadline might be Horst’s best chance to to dodge that bullet.

I have similar thoughts after watching some of the game last night. It felt like Giannis and a bunch of guys at times. I would like to see them be able to sit Giannis and still win like they were able to do in their really good regular season years, but what can you do? He's far from the only NBA star having to carry all of the weight right now. 

There's still a ton of regular season left but I can't imagine they are going to win another title if they don't get their regular rotation at least a few weeks of healthy reps prior to the playoffs. Although it feels like the whole NBA is kind of a toss-up this year with at least 6 or 7 teams that could find themselves in the finals, so the Bucks have as good of a chance as anyone if they can get healthy. 

• Like 1

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Jevon gets regular minutes in the playoffs as the PG backup and probably a lot of minutes for certain matchups - when full court harassment is needed (i.e. Jevon and Holiday playing together at guard). I'd say he is playing playoff level BB right now.  His scoring is wildly inconsistent, but that is mainly because he doesn't shoot much when he is the 5th or 6th option.  But his D has been great and scores when opportunity (38% on 3s - right on his career average).  I will be quite upset if Hill plays over Jevon again in the playoffs.

I could see Grayson being matchup only type player though similar to last year (i.e. lots against the Bulls, little against the Celtics).  Wouldn't surprise me to see another SG on the team come the trade deadline, either.

20 hours ago, yourout said:

I had not watched a minute of Bucks ball this season until I turned it on tonight with 3 minutes left and the Bucks up by 15 only to watch 3 minutes of complete garbage and a game headed to overtime.

Turned it off and will not watch another minute.

Thats crazy...what are the odds that the only 3 minutes you will watch happened to be the worst performance I have seen from them in the last 3 years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
On 1/5/2023 at 5:58 PM, thebruce44 said:

Thats crazy...what are the odds that the only 3 minutes you will watch happened to be the worst performance I have seen from them in the last 3 years.

So maybe we just hope that "yourout" doesn't watch anymore Bucks BB! ?

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nate82 said:

Looks like the Bucks will need to make the Crowder trade now with Portis being diagnosed with a MCL sprain.  

Not really, they don't play the same position. In the playoffs, we will see more Giannis at the 5 anyways.

I loved Jae Crowder when he was at Marquette, but I am over getting him via trade. He hasn't played all season, so doubtful he would contribute until playoff time anyway. The Suns seem to have a massive price tag for a player that has no value to him. I think their latest offer of Nwora, Hill, Ibaka, and a 2nd is more than fair. You get a young player with some promise and a draft pick. Also read they don't want Allen and want something else. Will be interesting to see what the Suns do, but I hope the picks don't up their offer anymore. 

48 minutes ago, patrickgpe said:

I loved Jae Crowder when he was at Marquette, but I am over getting him via trade. He hasn't played all season, so doubtful he would contribute until playoff time anyway. The Suns seem to have a massive price tag for a player that has no value to him. I think their latest offer of Nwora, Hill, Ibaka, and a 2nd is more than fair. You get a young player with some promise and a draft pick. Also read they don't want Allen and want something else. Will be interesting to see what the Suns do, but I hope the picks don't up their offer anymore. 

At this point with the Suns allowing the Bucks to speak with Crowder it is basically almost a done deal or at least as close to being a done deal as it can be without a trade actually happening.  I think this is the player the Bucks will add or they won't add anyone who will impact the team at all.  Ibaka is more than likely gone it just depends on if it will be in a deal for Crowder or for an expiring contract. 

1 hour ago, nate82 said:

At this point with the Suns allowing the Bucks to speak with Crowder it is basically almost a done deal or at least as close to being a done deal as it can be without a trade actually happening.  I think this is the player the Bucks will add or they won't add anyone who will impact the team at all.  Ibaka is more than likely gone it just depends on if it will be in a deal for Crowder or for an expiring contract. 

Kinda got to think Crowder himself must prefer to go to the Bucks as well. Not sure how much say he actually has in the matter but I feel like it's pretty much a done deal unless something dumb happens, which of course is more than possible.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Finney-Smith is good, but I don't know why folks are acting like it'll be the end of the Mavericks if Irving doesn't resign with them. Plus the Mavericks really had to do something to appease Luca so he doesn't leave when his contract is up. The first-round unprotected pick that the Nets got is two years after Luca could choose to sign elsewhere.

As I understand it, the big issue with Durant (also Kyrie, to a degree) is that he's been a malcontent on every team he's been on, including a Nets team which did everything they could for him. Tough for any acquiring team to give away their future for a guy who may well demand a trade a year or two later.

10 minutes ago, GAME05 said:

As I understand it, the big issue with Durant (also Kyrie, to a degree) is that he's been a malcontent on every team he's been on, including a Nets team which did everything they could for him. Tough for any acquiring team to give away their future for a guy who may well demand a trade a year or two later.

I don't think Durant gets traded as the players the Nets got back are decent.  This is probably a better team without Kyrie on it. 

If the trade deadline only does some kind of Rose trade, that would be disappointing. I know they don't need much, but I cant' see him helping much and would rather have Carter as the backup PG in the playoffs anyway. Plus looking at salaries on ESPN it would have to include Allen (so his 3's  off the bench are gone) and probably Hill and/or Ibaka, which I doubt the Knicks even would want. 

Community Moderator
On 2/6/2023 at 9:08 AM, nate82 said:

Irving to the Mavericks.  I wonder if the Nets now have a Durant trade in the works?

Nailed it. The West sure got shaken up today. Durant and the Suns going for co-revenge against Giannis in the finals? That would be entertaining to say the least. 

I think the reactions to the KD trade are way over the top.

CP3 is washed up, he is even clearly worse than he was when we played them in the Finals. Booker, ok, great scorer. Ayton is a good player, I'd maybe care more if we didn't have Giannis and Brook. So there's Durant, obviously a great player, but you lose Bridges, which is not some throw-in subtraction. Where is the defense on that team, and they have absolutely no depth. 

I'm not seeing the net positive of that trade overwhelming the fact that they've been a .500 team all year. I don't think they even win the West. And the assumption of health is a huge one with that group.

7 hours ago, owbc said:

Nailed it. The West sure got shaken up today. Durant and the Suns going for co-revenge against Giannis in the finals? That would be entertaining to say the least. 

I didn't really think they were going to do it as the players they got back for Kyrie were good.  Not superstar good but decent players to plug in with Durant.  I like this trade more for the Nets than I do the Suns.  It makes the Suns better in the West but that team is completely dysfunctional with or without Durant.  The Suns are currently the #5 seed in the West and I am not sure if this really makes them the favorites in the West.  I don't think they will catch Denver for the #1 seed but they are within striking distance for the #2 but so are a bunch of other teams in the West.

2 minutes ago, areacodes said:

Crowder to the Bucks for five 2nd round picks.

Not really surprising as the Bucks have been rumored to be getting Crowder for a few months now.  The five second round picks though.  Not really all that needed for the Bucks.  At least the Bucks are keeping Allen though I am not sure how there could be another trade in the works that involves Allen, Hill and Ibaka. 

John Wall is reportedly either will be traded or will be bought out.  If he is bought out I think that might be where the Bucks go.  He could be a good bench scoring option and fill the spot that Hill was occupying.  That still gives Carter enough time as the backup PG and Wall being a rotational player.

I don't think it will happen though as Wall is a horrible shooter.  He would have to take minutes from Allen also.  I still think Allen will be traded so Wall could take some of Allen's minutes if Allen is traded.