Brewer Fanatic

Bucks 2022-2023 Season Thread

areacodes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
3 minutes ago, sveumrules said:

Yeah, Kidd used the TO to “draw up” that last OOB play with two seconds left.

And that was after they didn't take a TO following Lopez's make. 

• Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice bounce back win for the Bucks (without Jrue) against Golden State tonight after their worst loss of the year to HOU on Sunday.

Giannis with a somewhat ugly 30 on 9/26 from the field while Bobby couldn’t miss with 25 on 11/15 shooting.

Tough little stretch coming up over the next six with @MEM, vsUTA, @NOP, @CLE, @BRO and @BOS on Xmas.

11 hours ago, sveumrules said:

Nice bounce back win for the Bucks (without Jrue) against Golden State tonight after their worst loss of the year to HOU on Sunday.

Giannis with a somewhat ugly 30 on 9/26 from the field while Bobby couldn’t miss with 25 on 11/15 shooting.

Tough little stretch coming up over the next six with @MEM, vsUTA, @NOP, @CLE, @BRO and @BOS on Xmas.

Are you kidding?  Wake up!

Sorry... after watching the game, I felt compelled to complain about everything.  Can I have you removed from the board?

For those who didn't watch the game:  when Grant Hill says that a team is complaining about every little thing, you know that team goes overboard.  That team:  Golden State.

• WHOA SOLVDD 1

Bucks interested in a Cam Reddish trade.

The names tied to a Reddish trade were Ingles and Allen, but for a guy who's out of the Knicks rotation, I think that's too much to give up. 

Knicks like the perfect team to give Jordan Nwora a go. They're trying to compete this year, so George Hill and Nowra+a 2nd?

I don't think you can trade Allen unless it's for a CLEAR and significant upgrade given his shooting and how he's underrated in other aspects. Attacking the baskets when defenders close out a little too hard on them, quick hands, gets in the passing lanes. Good effort defender.

So you take Reddish and you HOPE he can be the guy you saw glimpses of. The 6'8 big man who moved like a SG, who's defense was suffocating, who has a really nice stroke(90% FT shooter last two years and this year 

With the Bucks playing so well, it's kind of surprising to see how poorly they are shooting 3s. 

Allen, Lopez, and Carter are the only ones hitting 3s well (>39%) with Nwora and Holiday doing OK (~36%). With only Lopez being above normal.  

Then we have Bobby, Pat, Khris, Matthews, Beauchamp, and Hill all under 33% with Giannis at 26%. 

So basically, they have been playing at the top of the league and still have a chance to get better by having Pat, Khris, Bobby (and Ingles) hit 3s at a more normal rate. 

And having Giannis stop shooting them.  ?

51 minutes ago, wallus said:

Bucks beat a good NO team. Marjon does some things very well and looks to have a nice future.

So weird to see him start. And as always, the 3's are nice, but he just fits into this defense so well. He looks more mature and advanced than it was suggested. He's got a ways to go on his ball handling and his shooting, but he's certainly fits into the team. Makes the smart plays, he's good when he's attacking the basket...and the ball doesn't stop with him unless he's got a clean look.

I don't expect he'll be a part of the rotation when healthy...unless we need him to defend, but again, really bright future, nice game in his first start.  

57 minutes ago, wallus said:

Bucks beat a good NO team. Marjon does some things very well and looks to have a nice future.

I took my daughter to the game tonight in NOLA.  It was a fun game to attend.  I was really impressed with how Jrue and Wes handled Zion most of the night.  Ingles obviously showed some rust, but he will really help our 3-point shooting once he gets going, I hope.

• Like 1

So the team's new strategy is to give up the mid-range jumpers in order to better defend the 3. Sounds good, and of course they're going to have a tough time against good mid-range shooting teams like Atlanta and the Nets. But the non-Lopez secondary defenders haven't been boxing out and are letting guys get in front of them for the pass-to-dunk and offensive rebounds. I don't really see it all as a product of the defensive system, but rather Lopez has been so good that the other guys are expecting him to do it all and are getting a bit lazy.

Hard for me to be able to tell just what Allen's defensive deficiencies are costing the defense as a whole and the sort of points he's allowing, but provided it isn't too terrible I'm otherwise hesitant to want him traded. Marjon isn't going to be getting any minutes in the playoffs this season (not that he's been bad, but it's just Bud's way) and Carter may only have very specific minutes since it'll be tough for him to defend bigger guys, and so having Allen out there provides that second good 3pt shooter on the floor to really open up the driving lanes for Giannis and lob opportunities for Lopez. Or at least to keep a spacer out there when Middleton is resting. Seems too valuable a playoff skill to be losing.

3 hours ago, stoutdude04 said:

Regular season basketball is meaningless?

I have seen a lot of Ls lately, but theyve been brutal on the road.

Pretty much. 

I mean...who cares how they're doing in the regular season as long as they're in the playoffs? To a degree anyway. They lost an UGLY game last night with Giannis blowing it at the end, but they're missing Middleton, Ingles is just coming back(looked really good the last two games...and I actually see now how his defensive metrics are good despite being nicknamed "slow Joe").

I think the inference is we're supposing to be wringing our hands because they've lost 3 straight games? Yeah...don't care. 

If 4 of our playoff rotation players aren't healthy come May/June, then I'll start worrying. Until then...meh.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:24 PM, GAME05 said:

So the team's new strategy is to give up the mid-range jumpers in order to better defend the 3. Sounds good, and of course they're going to have a tough time against good mid-range shooting teams like Atlanta and the Nets. But the non-Lopez secondary defenders haven't been boxing out and are letting guys get in front of them for the pass-to-dunk and offensive rebounds. I don't really see it all as a product of the defensive system, but rather Lopez has been so good that the other guys are expecting him to do it all and are getting a bit lazy.

Hard for me to be able to tell just what Allen's defensive deficiencies are costing the defense as a whole and the sort of points he's allowing, but provided it isn't too terrible I'm otherwise hesitant to want him traded. Marjon isn't going to be getting any minutes in the playoffs this season (not that he's been bad, but it's just Bud's way) and Carter may only have very specific minutes since it'll be tough for him to defend bigger guys, and so having Allen out there provides that second good 3pt shooter on the floor to really open up the driving lanes for Giannis and lob opportunities for Lopez. Or at least to keep a spacer out there when Middleton is resting. Seems too valuable a playoff skill to be losing.

3 point shooting has been what's killed them and they don't give up many layups. And they've been an elite defense(#1 or #2 this year)...but when they're playing Carter and Jrue, if guys get hot, they shoot over them. 

You're right obviously, when you face a team like...the Bulls and they're hitting, it can hurt. It also takes an almost comical collapse. It is kinda funny to me that the knock on Lopez for years was he was a poor defender/rebounder and he was just a low post scorer. Now they almost never use him as a low post scorer. When he does, it's kinda as a 3rd or 4th option...which is a little stupid IMO as he's so good down there. 

As for Allen, it's easy to tell after a game like last night and I think those are the games people hang onto, but he's a good player. He just needs to be the 4th or 5th option and a catch and shoot guy who hangs out at the 3 point line and if someone closes out, he can attack...a little. But if they're looking for a guy who can be an elite defender and hit 3s like Allen, those guys generally get 20M a year. 

I would like to see Carter in the rotation, even against a team like the Celtics. His length is obviously a big disadvantage, but...what the hell, he can at least deny the ball and he has quick hands. He needs to do less on offense.

And Beauchamp should get minutes when a guy like Tatum or Brown start to get going. He's our best wing defender other than Jrue. Brown scores 7 straight, put him in the game and put him on one, when Jrue is healthy, he's on the other...and it's that simple. But...that's not how Bud does things. 

If they get healthy...they're going to be one of the few teams who can win it. If they're not, they won't. I don't think there's a trade out there that's gonna help them a ton...though I'd still consider Cam Reddish. We've seen the talent there. And he should be cheap, plus a good fit...if he just shoots the 3 like he did last year in ATL. 

What is up with Khris' knee?  Just being cautious?  I was able to watch 1/2 the Bucks game against Boston and they looked good even without him, but I guess they blew up in the second half.  Were leading the Bulls all game until late...not sure what happened there either (wasn't able to watch that one either).  But yeah... it is preseason games right now...

3 hours ago, CheezWizHed said:

What is up with Khris' knee?  Just being cautious?  I was able to watch 1/2 the Bucks game against Boston and they looked good even without him, but I guess they blew up in the second half.  Were leading the Bulls all game until late...not sure what happened there either (wasn't able to watch that one either).  But yeah... it is preseason games right now...

It's the Bucks. Wisconsin Sports teams think injuries are a matter of National Security. 

BUT according to Middleton, when he came back, he twisted it a couple times, some small things, it was a little sore, tried to play through it and now they're holding him out as a precaution until he's 100%. Not the knee he sprained last year. So that's good. 

Middleton makes me the most nervous long term...I'm sure that's recency bias as last year I wasn't real confident in Lopez, but...he wants 40M a year for multiple more years. A trade MIGHT not be the worst idea...

• Like 1

• Like 1
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice bounce back win last night after the worst loss of the year at the Bulls.

The 9-0 start was fun, but the team had continuity and a soft easy schedule.

14-12 since with a tougher schedule, dealing with injuries and trying to work in Khris and Jingles, who gave his first glimpse of being “back” last night.

Middleton not looking himself so far and dealing with various injuries isn’t encouraging, but there’s still over half the season to get things in order there.

Will be curious too see if Horst can pull a rabbit out of his hat at the deadline.

I had not watched a minute of Bucks ball this season until I turned it on tonight with 3 minutes left and the Bucks up by 15 only to watch 3 minutes of complete garbage and a game headed to overtime.

Turned it off and will not watch another minute.

bucks blew a 21 point lead with under 4 minutes to go. I know they're short handed and all, but that's awful. awful. awful basketball. somehow got into OT and stole the win but what a putrid performance. 

you almost have to be trying to lose to give up 21 points in 4 minutes, let alone blow a 21 point lead in that amount of time. 

Bud got cute and decided to empty the bench ... only for those bench players to prove why they are bench players. Credit is deserved where it's due, though. That was a hell of a comeback. Bucks were lucky to escape with a win. 

I know this team is kind of built for the playoffs, but missing multiple starters nearly every night is getting kind of old. I don't know if they've had one game where they've played at full strength all season.

2 hours ago, Ron Robinsons Beard said:

Bud got cute and decided to empty the bench ... only for those bench players to prove why they are bench players. Credit is deserved where it's due, though. That was a hell of a comeback. Bucks were lucky to escape with a win. 

I know this team is kind of built for the playoffs, but missing multiple starters nearly every night is getting kind of old. I don't know if they've had one game where they've played at full strength all season.

I think there was one or two with Khris and Ingles both back - very early after their return.  But I guess you could say they weren't quite a "full strength" yet.  

I don't mind the occasional vet-sit night if it wasn't every vet sitting all in one game (i.e. Washington on Jan 1).  I almost went to the lone Wolves/Bucks game in MSP last season and glad I missed it because no one played.  (I did attend this season and treated to a nice Wolf beat-down by Giannis).  But that would stink to pay $$$ for an NBA game and see the Bucks put garbage on the court. 

Giannis the last several games has been incredible though... 

42pts, 10 Reb, 1 Ast

45 pts, 14 Reb, 4 Ast

26 pts, 13 Reb, 7 Ast

27 pts, 9 Reb, 3 Ast

45 Pts, 22 Reb, 7 Ast

43 Pts, 20 Reb, 5 Ast

55 Pts, 10 Reb, 7 Ast

30 Pts, 21 Reb, 10 Ast

If we can get the support cast to settle and be healthy... 

• Like 1

Haven’t played a game with their whole rotation healthy and have the 2nd best record in the NBA even with their mediocre play since the 9-0 start.

Yeah, that Giannis guy is pretty good.

The way I break it down a little shy of the halfway point would be that GA, Jrue, Brook and Bobby are currently playing at playoff levels.

Grayson and Jevon are playing fine for regular season, but not sure either one is more than like an 8th/9th guy come playoff time.

Jingles and Pat have shown flashes of playoff calibre rotation play, but aren’t there consistently just yet.

Middleton looked rusty before getting hurt again, at this point it feels like the season will pretty much come down to if he is able to get back and round into vintage Khris form in time for the playoffs.

Believe KM is eligible for a huge extension coming up, deadline might be Horst’s best chance to to dodge that bullet.