Brewer Fanatic

Prospect update time!

Brock Beauchamp

1 hour ago, jay87shot said:

I am not saying Devanney doesn't have potential, just as a 25 year old I struggle to put him above guys who are 20/21 in A ball/AA ball who have had some success. I usually tune out defense unless they are very high end or low end defensive grades, just because I feel like it is hard to gauge unless you watch large chunks of a minor league season. My "he should play well" is more that any 25 year old who is decent should hit like .280 because they are a couple years older than your average prospect. I feel like the 15th-ish organizational ranking is putting a guy as a potential starter where I think he probably falls more into the 25-35 range as a potential utility guy with some decent power.

As I said in my list, I am really waiting on the Brewers' decision on the 40-man to some degree, just because Devanney's path makes it tough for me to apply my usual thought process to him. I'm someone who is leery of putting too much weight on the stats of a guy repeating a level unless he is young for the league. Devanney isn't your normal repeat, though. After the lost COVID year, because he was older and the lower-level middle infield spots were populated by the likes of Hamilton, Holt, Zamora, Cantrelle and Valerio, he skipped A and high-A entirely. It was a big ask, and it obviously did not go well. But do I treat him as a guy who was a pure repeat, or like he was solid the previous year in high-A (like I think he would have been) and scuffled after a late-season promotion?

For what it is worth, Fangraphs after his rookie ball season noted that he had plus power potential and nothing in the available numbers from last season, outside of his age, throws up a huge red flag.

1. Chourio 

2. Frelick

3. Quero 

4. Wiemer

5. Misiorowski 

6. Mitchell 

7. Turang 

8. Gasser

9. Black

10. Brown

11. Wagoner 

12. Ruiz

13. Moore

14. Avina

15. Devanney 

16. Mendez 

17. Hedbert

18. Uribe 

19. Henderson 

20. Guilarte

21. Cruz

22. Lara

23. CRod-P

24. Warren

25. Areinamo

26. Garcia

27. Adams

28. Wood

29. O’Rea

30. Small

Deepest top 30 I can ever remember. Easy top 5 positional prospects system in the game. 

• Like 2

1-Jackson Chourio-of                                                                                                   2-Sal Frelick-of                                                                                                             3-Garret Mitchell-of                                                                                                   

4-Jefferson Quero-c                                                                                                     5-Joey Wiemer-of                                                                                                         6-Brice Turang -if 

7-Robert Gasser-lhp                                                                                                     8-Esteury Ruiz -of                                                                                                         9-Tyler Black-utl                                                                                                           10-Eric Brown-if                                                                                                           

11-Jacob Misiorowski- rhp                                                                                            12-Henry Mendel-of                                                                                                       13-Carlos Rodriguez-rhp                                                                                             

14-Jace Avina-of                                                                                                            15-Yeison Peren-1b\of                                                                                                  16-Cam Robinson-rhrp                                                                                                17-Brandon Knarr- lhp                                                                                                  18-Stiven Cruz-rhp                                                                                                        19-Alexander Cornielle-rhp                                                                                          20-Cam Devanney-if 

This is getting harder to place prospects. I still feel like some of the older ones will come through {Lutz,Feliciano]

On 10/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, CheeseheadInQC said:

As I said in my list, I am really waiting on the Brewers' decision on the 40-man to some degree, just because Devanney's path makes it tough for me to apply my usual thought process to him. I'm someone who is leery of putting too much weight on the stats of a guy repeating a level unless he is young for the league. Devanney isn't your normal repeat, though. After the lost COVID year, because he was older and the lower-level middle infield spots were populated by the likes of Hamilton, Holt, Zamora, Cantrelle and Valerio, he skipped A and high-A entirely. It was a big ask, and it obviously did not go well. But do I treat him as a guy who was a pure repeat, or like he was solid the previous year in high-A (like I think he would have been) and scuffled after a late-season promotion?

For what it is worth, Fangraphs after his rookie ball season noted that he had plus power potential and nothing in the available numbers from last season, outside of his age, throws up a huge red flag.

A power-hitting prospect who can play 3B, and who will be in his prime years (26-33) relatively cheap/controlled?

Devanny could have outsized value for the Crew on that basis alone.