Brewer Fanatic

Article: Brewers Minor League Link Report (9/27): Wiemer and Frelick Return; A Durham Playoff Match-Up is Now Official for Saturday Night in Vegas

Joseph Zarr

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It was the last evening home game of 2022 - with an attendance of around 7,000 fans the Sounds moved back atop the Minor League attendance leaderboard passing Lehigh Valley and Indianapolis who were both on the road. It was 4-3 Sounds headed to the eighth frame and, boy, did they pour it on for their 91st victory of their 2022 campaign ensuring their 18th series win.

We also learned the Sounds will take their 10-8 overall record versus Durham to Vegas on Saturday. Let's hope the Sounds can manage one more in the 'W' column as those pesky and talented Bulls will look to give Nashville everything they have. What we do know, regardless of what happens tomorrow, is the Sounds will indeed hold the number one seed throughout the weekend no matter how far they go - they will pitch first and bat last. And, hopefully, they'll do so for a couple of outings before their champagne shower while hoisting a shiny trophy. 

Transactions:

None

Nashville Pre-Game Media Notes
Final: Nashville 9, Memphis (Cardinals) 4 
Box Score / Game Log

Via the Sounds' site, game details, please visit and review:

Sounds Pull Away from Redbirds Late - Brian Navarreto Hits Go-Ahead Homer, Nashville Wins Sixth Straight Against Memphis

Let me get this out of the way: In his first game back from a brief absence, Sal Frelick did indeed extend his on base streak to 40 games with a flare to shallow left center field. RHP Jason Alexander gave a good effort through 3 2/3 IP and just over 70 pitches. He managed seven punch outs in the shortened stint, but, I would say he wasn't actually particularly sharp. He ultimately gave up 5 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP, and 2 ER.  His bases loaded no out jam led to a game-tying two runs in the third frame before he ended it on his third strikeout of the inning. RHP Tyler Herb gave us a classic 2022 multiple inning successful relief stint - 4 IP, 6 H, 0 BB, 1 ER, 1 K. RHP Lucas Erceg struggled for his second time in two outings - an unfortunate ending to what has otherwise been a fantastic run in August and most of September.

Three Quick Strikes:

1) What does C Brian Navarreto have to do to get more opportunities? I would place him in the Brent Diaz class of 'Most Underrated Position Players' in the entire Brewers organization. Every game I watch him play, I come away impressed. More importantly, I don't come away after watching him catch with a single question about his game. I am convinced Navarreto might be a classic case of a talented catcher finding his pro game at a later age (27 years old today). In my eyes, if this is the player we would see on a regular basis, this is a rotational MLB player. Historically, his offense has been fairly woeful. However, in 2022: he makes solid contact and he gives good AB's. His defense, framing, and game calling is superb. He is a weapon throwing out baserunners. Something doesn't compute for me here. Regardless, I am extremely thankful for his 42 games of service to date for Nashville.

2) INF Cam Devanney once again made several fantastic plays from the hot corner. He makes extremely tricky defensive plays look entirely routine. In my eyes he is far and away the most talented third baseman in the system today. He now has a Minor League baseline of experience. He has a cannon for an arm. He has an incredible glove - stabbing several extremely hard hit balls from various angles tonight. And, his bat is ascending - his Triple-A sample is outproducing what was already an impressive Double-A sample. I am now at the point if he isn't protected in the Rule 5 draft, I am actually going to be disappointed. Don't let me down, Brewers. Make the sensible decision here.

3) OF Joey Wiemer again showcased his complete game. Coming off a brief stint with what was described by announcer Jeff Hem as 'left arm soreness', he hit the ground running early and often. Two rbi doubles that were absolutely smashed. Speed for days as he charged around third base for a run in the table-turning eighth frame. And, the classic Wiemer cannon that kept a couple runners from challenging for second base. He's a complete player in every regard when he's healthy. He's again checking all the coveted five tool boxes. His end to his 2022 season has reminded us all why he won last year's Minor League Player of the Year for the Brewers. 

Tune in early for the Sounds final Home contest of their incredible 2022 season. We'll be feasting on a final regular season tilt in a matinee affair. As of now, it looks as though we'll be getting one last look at tantalizing LHP Robert Gasser. Let's hope he gives us a glimpse at future greatness. As always, thanks for reading.

Organizational Scoreboard including starting pitcher info, game times, MiLB TV links, and box scores

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Batting Stats and Depth

Current Milwaukee Brewers Organization Pitching Stats and Depth

View full article