Brewer Fanatic

Old House Question: Anyone seen a bathroom window like this?

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We just moved into a house built in the 1940's. I don't know what's original and what's not but the bathroom has a big glass block window in the shower and little window inset in the middle of that. The little window has a screen and you can open the "shutters" to allow air in from outside. The issue  is that when it is winter, that little shutter isn't going to shut very tight and it's going to let a lot of cold air in . I can remove the screen easily enough but I can't find a "storm" window in the house anywhere (there are a few normal sized ones in the basement). The little window is about 8" x 13". Anyone seen anything like this before? Coming up blank on the internet so far.

l4MGs15.jpeg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I have seen something like that, but not in a climate where you had to worry about a cold winter.  I think you are going to be out of luck finding an existing solution as even my 1990 era windows don't have replacement parts/screens/etc. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Pella and they didn't have a single thing that I could get to fix my issue as the original parts were long since retired. I would suggest getting a metal picture frame and a piece of glass and create a storm (does the bottom clip on? or is it screwed?).  You can get padding at places like JoAnn Fabrics that is thin that you can place between the shutters and the glass to increase insulation (it's usually for upholstery).  The easiest may be to get the padding and put it between the screen and the slats then find a piece of plastic (like a flexible cutting board) cut it to a width just smaller than the frame of the screen and slide it between the padding and the screen. 

1 hour ago, homer said:

We just moved into a house built in the 1940's. I don't know what's original and what's not but the bathroom has a big glass block window in the shower and little window inset in the middle of that. The little window has a screen and you can open the "shutters" to allow air in from outside. The issue  is that when it is winter, that little shutter isn't going to shut very tight and it's going to let a lot of cold air in . I can remove the screen easily enough but I can't find a "storm" window in the house anywhere (there are a few normal sized ones in the basement). The little window is about 8" x 13". Anyone seen anything like this before? Coming up blank on the internet so far.

l4MGs15.jpeg

Yeah, my parents had windows similar to this when they bought this older farm house when I was a kid. They ended up renovating, but I do remember he'd take the screen out and I think he put in a little insulation and that plastic people used to use. It wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but I guess it worked.

Glass blocks became popular in the 40s. That little window appears to be an attic window with a vent made for non climate controlled part of the home. I would guess the builder was looking for a creative way to vent the bathroom as one cannot open a glass brick window

At work all our windows are like that but a much larger version. In the winter we don't remove the screens but just screw a big piece of plywood over it. Assuming you already have a fan in the bathroom I'd be more inclined to remove that window and seal the whole thing shut.

2 hours ago, homer said:

l4MGs15.jpeg

Does it look like that block glass window was cut out so that insert could be put in?  

You might have better luck removing that insert entirely and adding what looks to be 4 more glass bock window panels to seal the whole thin in uniformly....or just replace the whole window with something a bit more modern that can let air in or keep air out depending on the season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I don't own this house so I can't really do anything drastic. Just looking for a way to seal it up for the winter. There is the standard bathroom ceiling vent we can turn on and off. 

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I recall a similar or perhaps identical shuttered window venting out a kitchen I worked in back in the college days.  It was right by the ovens and I obviously didn't have to worry about the heat bills so I didn't address it.  Here's what I would do once it gets to be wintertime, since you don't own the home:  Cut a piece of foam insulation for an exact snug fit into the recessed area in front of the shutters.  Close the shutters, coax the foam into place, tape the seams.  Then cover it with your least favorite Yuniesky Betancourt poster.  Remove in spring.

• WHOA SOLVDD 2

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.